Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USPS Parcel US to UK

USPS Parcel US to UK

Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USPS Parcel US to UK

We tried to mail some small christmas gifts in a flat envelope to the UK via USPS one year, we filled out the customs forms specifiying gifts and a small amount < $40.
We mailed it the very end of Novemember over a month early and thought it had got lost in the mail. Until we recieved it back at around the end of Feburary. It had not even left America because i mailed it with stamps. There is a rule, and i'm guessing it a USPS rule, that you can only use stamps to mail a package up to a certain amount, we were trying to use around $13 in stamps, we were told that was too much to use for stamps.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Yes, I think you're probably right...

So, this puts me in two camps. On the one-hand, I hate paying more than I have to for anything. On the other, I hate large American corporations that get away without paying their fair dues (Google, Amazon, Starbucks - all should be banned from the UK until they pay their fair-share).

I think that makes me a hypocrite ?
Does it?

If I thought my gift packages were going to be hit with an extra tax every time I sent them, then I wouldn't send them.

If large corporations are not paying their fair dues, then who's at fault?

Last edited by AmerLisa; Dec 21st 2012 at 8:22 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody want to send items to the UK or anywhere in the world for that matter. Contact me if you would like to open an account, I own a shipping company
one in Los Angeles one in the UK and a freight company.

(you would use DHL) and correct cheaper than post office in less than half the time. I sent my family xmas gifts on Wednesday, DHL collected on Wednesday afternoon and by friday (today) they were on my familys doorstep
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the festive atmosphere, I sent a package (containing Christmas gifts) to my family in the UK using USPS Priority Mail from TN.
I took it to the Post Office on Dec 6th. It weighed 16 lb 8 oz and cost $87.30 (wouldn't fit in Flat Rate box) for their International Priority Mail service (delivery with 5 - 10 days).

As of today (Dec 22nd) it has not been delivered.

The so called tracking tells me it left the USPS international sort facility, in Miami, on Dec 12th, and that's it! No more tracking or info about what has happened since.

Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit In TN

The so called tracking tells me it left the USPS international sort facility, in Miami, on Dec 12th, and that's it! No more tracking or info about what has happened since.

Merry Christmas.
That's because USPS tracking doesn't work outside of the US....shit eh :/
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's because USPS tracking doesn't work outside of the US....shit eh :/
That's not true. The Christmas package that I sent to my daughter definitely told me when the box arrived in the UK and when it was accepted by British customs.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's not true. The Christmas package that I sent to my daughter definitely told me when the box arrived in the UK and when it was accepted by British customs.
Which service/type of shipping did you use?
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the PMS guys will be in touch asap or just after xmas!
I wrapped up (pardon the pun) until 3rd Jan
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which service/type of shipping did you use?
The usual international posting..... If your package is over a certain weight you have to use the bigger customs form which includes $100 insurance and you get tracking with it as well. Something I've never been aware of prior to this time when the USPS person pointed it out.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 12:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the festive atmosphere, I sent a package (containing Christmas gifts) to my family in the UK using USPS Priority Mail from TN.
I took it to the Post Office on Dec 6th. It weighed 16 lb 8 oz and cost $87.30 (wouldn't fit in Flat Rate box) for their International Priority Mail service (delivery with 5 - 10 days).

As of today (Dec 22nd) it has not been delivered.

Merry Christmas.

Tracking is hit or miss outside the US unless its express mail. I am in Canada and the last scan on departure from the US is always the last scan.

You know its left the US, so its likely held up in customs on the UK end, this time of year customs in most countries can get held up by a very long time.

I sent my sister a card to California from Canada, and normally takes 7 days, around Christmas mail will take about 2 weeks from Canada to California in my experience.

Its easy to blame the postal services, but many times its customs who is responsible for the delays.

Private companies such as UPS and Fedex use private and expensive brokers to process through customs, the postal services generally do not, so it takes longer.

If you want speed gotta pay top $$$ for Fedex or UPS.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
We tried to mail some small christmas gifts in a flat envelope to the UK via USPS one year, we filled out the customs forms specifiying gifts and a small amount < $40.
We mailed it the very end of Novemember over a month early and thought it had got lost in the mail. Until we recieved it back at around the end of Feburary. It had not even left America because i mailed it with stamps. There is a rule, and i'm guessing it a USPS rule, that you can only use stamps to mail a package up to a certain amount, we were trying to use around $13 in stamps, we were told that was too much to use for stamps.
If it weighs over 13 oz it has to be presented to a postal clerk. It can't be put in a mailbox for pick up. I've never heard of the stamp rule before, that is ridiculous.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

I sent an embroidered square in a regular envelope over a month ago and it still has not arrived. I usually send them in a padded envelope.

They usually take about 12-15 days. If I mail a card it takes 7-9 days.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I never put a value on anything sent. We only put "gift" and $1.

Because if its lost, its valueless anyhow, so why declare the true value!?

As someone said, if you want speed and/or tracking, you must go with FedEx.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
I never put a value on anything sent. We only put "gift" and $1.

Because if its lost, its valueless anyhow, so why declare the true value!?

As someone said, if you want speed and/or tracking, you must go with FedEx.

Bad advice that. By law declaring the correct value is your responsibility. HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) can fine you or seize your goods if there is a mistake on the form. In some circumstances you might be prosecuted.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

I used Express Mail to send my gifts to the UK this year. Mailed it on the 15th December, it arrived on the 24th. Cost me $62.00 and it had a guaranteed delivery date of the 20th. Complete and utter waste of money. My Mum had to go and get it from the Parcel Force depot, otherwise she wouldn't have gotten it until the 27th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.