Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using VPN to watch British TV

Using VPN to watch British TV

Old Jan 16th 2021, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

edwardoxford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using VPN to watch British TV

Anyone successfully using a VPN service? I could use some advice.

Last edited by edwardoxford; Jan 16th 2021 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 11:09 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using VPN to watch British TV

I used a VPN the other way around to watch US TV from Europe. I think I used Express VPN, it was free for 30 days, and was fairly straightforward. It is the first link below. Some channels still managed to block me though and put up a screen that said they would not provide content through a VPN. There are other ways beyond VPN ,Roku is one. I do not remember the others or use them but hopefully others will chime in.

Anyway, this might help:

https://privacyspark.com/vpn/streaming/uk-tv/
https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/watch...ance-anywhere/

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Jan 16th 2021 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

There are multiple threads on this topic already that you can find easily. Depending on what services you plan to access to watch Uk tv, you could be violating the terms of service of the service, for example iplayer terms specifically prohibit accessing via a VPN service. Britbox is one alternative that provides access to UK TV.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 12:34 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

There are multiple threads on this topic already that you can find easily.
VPN's come and go, work and then fail. I suggest sticking it out to see what people on here are saying currently works. Although it depends on what you want to use it for.

I recently dumped Smart DNS, as it stopped me accessing the BBC. I am currently using the built in VPN that comes with Norton. I am open to seeing which DNS's are currently working.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 17th 2021 at 12:39 am.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Specifically need help or advice with anyone using AT&T and a Nord VPN.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
VPN's come and go, work and then fail. I suggest sticking it out to see what people on here are saying currently works. Although it depends on what you want to use it for.

I recently dumped Smart DNS, as it stopped me accessing the BBC. I am currently using the built in VPN that comes with Norton. I am open to seeing which DNS's are currently working.
I have subscribed to Nord to watch U.K. streaming, which works on all devices, but not the TV. As screen mirroring doesn’t seem to work (developer blocked?) to watch content from the U.K. on the TV I am having to buy a second router as our AT&T one doesn’t support VPN.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 4:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edwardoxford
I have subscribed to Nord to watch U.K. streaming, which works on all devices, but not the TV. As screen mirroring doesn’t seem to work (developer blocked?) to watch content from the U.K. on the TV I am having to buy a second router as our AT&T one doesn’t support VPN.
​​​​​​For my setup, using chromecast, the casting issue is because the process tells the TV ( the cast receiver for me) what address to go fetch rather than directly relaying the image from the source.
A Work around, while you wait for the more robust option of a router level solution, could be to cast the screen rather than the tab, this will send the image, rather than the address to fetch. Probably need wired rather than wireless, devices for this to work reliably.

I think it is Siouxsie, who is good and knowledgeable on these issue, with a bit of luck she will be along soon.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 17th 2021 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 7:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

After years with overplay I switched to Nord. VPN works with BBC but not SmartDNS.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

For the more techical minded, I use NordVPN + get_iplayer which downloads the programme to a file. Then I can cast it to my TV whenever I want to (does use a lot of disk space).
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

michaelinfinisol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edwardoxford
Specifically need help or advice with anyone using AT&T and a Nord VPN.
happily watching iPlayer in the US using NORDvpn
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 10:20 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having luck using Express VPN to watch the BBC.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what VPN is, but here if you want to watch BBC there is a free-to-air channel called BBC America. This channel broadcasts tons of stuff such as 'Keeping up appearances', 'As time goes by by', etc. I am sure there is lots more content, but I have usually dozed off by then.

Old Jan 27th 2021, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

LAbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Im finding NordVPN to be the most reliable and consistent. it allows multiple device connections and seems good with iplayers /bbc /c4 / itv etc.
I also installed on a UK firestick with most platforms and works great.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

I use SurfShark and have never had any problems.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

I setup my own OpenVPN server in an AWS datacenter in London. Costs me about ten pounds a month but is bulletproof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.