Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

using a usa lamp in the uk,help

using a usa lamp in the uk,help

Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:40 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: using a usa lamp in the uk,help

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
It's not "push and twist", it's "bayonet", the bulb goes into a "bayonet fitting".
its started now, hasn't it.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:58 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
its started now, hasn't it.
It's what you wanted, isn't it?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:10 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
It's what you wanted, isn't it?
nah, just light hearted humour.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:03 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
FYI -- heating effect is proportional to I^2R. Hence a higher voltage generates less heat for the same power.
I feel a migraine coming on.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:07 am
Just Joined

William Semmes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brian.w
I have purchased a wall lamp i could not get or buy in the uk,so got one from usa,i can use a step down transformer to work it in the uk,but i posted on here some while back about lamps from the usa and was told,depending on its specs i can change the plug etc.
Is this right can i cut the plug off and say maybe change the bulb or will the bulb be ok to use,so would i just need to fit a uk plug.
I need to be sure that once the plug has been cut off that i am able to use it as i would just work it with a transformer.
It says on the back of lamp:
120v 60hz 15w max 2 amps.

Anyone able to give me info if i am able to change to uk specs or best leave as is,the lamp is brand new and i dont want to spoil it if i find i cant change it,would it just be the plug that needs replaced or would it be also the bulb and also the cable or would the cable be ok.
you have to change both the plug and bulb. The wiring is fine, I've use US light fixtures in the UK for 15 years and no problems. You can also use shaver adapter plugs easily available in the UK at Ryness or others and then don't have to change the plug. The info on the back of the lamp is a bit concerning - is there an internal transformer of some kind. Highly unlikely but check or you will blow it. Plain lamps are no problem to convert, bulb and use the shaver adapter or a UK plub.