Reload this Page >

Using US electrical appliances in the UK

Using US electrical appliances in the UK

Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

DenverDave is on a distinguished road
Smile Using US electrical appliances in the UK

Hi all!!!

Just a quick question regarding the use of US electrical appliances in the UK.

Does anyone know if you need some sort of voltage converter?? I know you need to use a UK adaptor to plug into sockets etc - is the voltage the same though!!??

Any help would be greatly appreciated - many thanks!!

DenverDave
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using US electrical appliances in the UK

Originally Posted by DenverDave
Hi all!!!

Just a quick question regarding the use of US electrical appliances in the UK.

Does anyone know if you need some sort of voltage converter?? I know you need to use a UK adaptor to plug into sockets etc - is the voltage the same though!!??

Any help would be greatly appreciated - many thanks!!

DenverDave
Hmmm... well I forgot to get one before I left to go home at New Year, and the lady on the plane told me I had to buy a voltage convertor as the adaptor wouldn't work without - but they were out of stock... But, when I got there I tried the adaptor on my US hairdryer and it worked just fine... didn't have the same luck with my straightening irons tho - so it's a mystery to me!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You need something to convert the plug and something to convert the voltage.

The plug adapter is easy, you can buy them at the airport. But the voltage converter may be more difficult to get hold of, although I would think it's sensible to sell those at the airport too.

Some appliances can take both UK and US voltages, in which case you would just need the plug adapter; look at the appliance manual to check if this is the case.

-tom
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You need something to convert the plug and something to convert the voltage.

The plug adapter is easy, you can buy them at the airport. But the voltage converter may be more difficult to get hold of, although I would think it's sensible to sell those at the airport too.

Some appliances can take both UK and US voltages, in which case you would just need the plug adapter; look at the appliance manual to check if this is the case.

-tom
For many appliances, you don't even need to search for the manual. Voltage and frequency are usually on a plate on the appliance itself or on the power cord/transformer.

Seems more and more appliances are going multi-voltage. My razor, camera, computer, etc., etc., all work in the UK with just a plug adaptor.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

DenverDave is on a distinguished road

Hi all!!

Many thanks for your replys - much appreciated!!!

I'm heading back to blighty very shortly and will be taking my beloved air bed with me. I just wanted to know if I would need a voltage adaptor for the bed or if infact I'd need to use my lungs. :scared:

Cheers again!!!

DenverDave
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that the air pump on an air bed will work on dual voltage, and it might draw more current than say the recharger for a mobile phone. Check to be sure, and it really doesn't hurt to have a voltage converter. The only negative for me is that it is a heavy sucker so it displaces a few precious ounces of food I want to bring back
Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:56 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

I bought a decent size voltage converter at Dixons when I was over in the UK. It manages 3 devices at once and drops straight 240v to 110v and thus runs virtually anything. I left it at my friends house for all our visits. They even buy US stuff and use it without worry.

You can buy smaller 240v to 110v devices in Radio Shack (Tandy) or Dixons or Curry's for about 10 quid. Wait till you there. Go to M&S for a prawn cocktail sandwich and pop next door to Dixons and get your converter Your's envious.