Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using UK license in US

Using UK license in US

Old Mar 8th 2012, 2:42 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice
Default Re: Using UK license in US

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Each state is different. Look up the DMV website for the state you'll be living in.

In most cases, you will find it difficult to get a driver license without a SSN. So you will most likely drive on your UK license until you get your SSN and can apply for a local driver license.

Rene
You don't need a SSN if you don't have a visa that allows you to work in the USA eg H4. You just show them your visa and tell them you don't /can't have a SSN.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
You don't need a SSN if you don't have a visa that allows you to work in the USA eg H4. You just show them your visa and tell them you don't /can't have a SSN.
Yes I think there is a space on the form where you declare that you are not entitled to a SSN.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
He wanted MO, MarylandNed posted the code for OR.
D'Oh... my bad!

Note to self: drink more coffee first thing in the morning!

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
30 days... as MarylandNed posted days ago! He even bolded the relevant part for you!

Ian
Didn't realise Missouri also had a Oregon
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eyes
Thanks to everyone for their answers. I checked on the Missouri government website and couldn't really find what I was looking for so I sent an email. They replied saying that my UK licence was valid and that it would pass for an international licence since mine is written in English. I wasn't told, more annoyingly, how long I can used my license for which is what I was asking. Anyway, I will apply for a Missouri driving license as soon as I get there.

This is from the MO DMV site in the FAQ section

"I’m moving to Missouri and I have a valid driver license from another state. How can I get a Missouri driver license?

As soon as you establish residency in Missouri, you must apply and pay for a Missouri driver license at a Missouri license office. You may surrender a valid current driver license (or one that is expired 184 days or less) from another U.S. state to the state of Missouri to waive your Missouri skills and written tests. All applicants are required to pass the Missouri road sign recognition and vision tests"

Sounds like its immediate.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
This is from the MO DMV site in the FAQ section

"I’m moving to Missouri and I have a valid driver license from another state. How can I get a Missouri driver license?
That's from moving there from another state, not another country though.

Either way, makes no sense to delay getting it done because you need one to exist around here
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Eagle_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
D'Oh... my bad!

Note to self: drink more coffee first thing in the morning!

Ian
No worries! Sometimes we all need our coffee in the morning!
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
Right but that doesn't apply to the OP (who is eligible for a SSN). For those who are not eligible for a SSN, some states require a letter of ineligibility from the SSA.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 9th 2012 at 10:13 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
That only applies to people moving within the US and becoming Oregon residents. If you actually ask them they will tell you, arriving from the UK to take up residence you get the 12 months allowed under the international convention on driving licences.
That's very unusual. I know that is often the case for visitors but once you actually take up residence, most states demand that you obtain a state license in a much shorter time frame. The wording here from Wisconsin for example is typical of many states:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...y/drivrlic.htm

"Visitors to Wisconsin (at least 16 years old) who do not plan to establish permanent residency, and members of the Armed Forces and their families living in Wisconsin but with permanent residence elsewhere, are not required to obtain a Wisconsin driver license. However, they must have a valid license from their home jurisdiction to operate a motor vehicle in Wisconsin.

If Wisconsin residency is established, the person must obtain a Wisconsin license within 60 days. Eligibility requirements are the same as those for a native Wisconsin resident."

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 9th 2012 at 10:38 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
That's from moving there from another state, not another country though.

Either way, makes no sense to delay getting it done because you need one to exist around here
I'm not sure there's a difference. Once you actually take up residence (as opposed to being a visitor), most states demand that you obtain a state license in a much shorter time frame.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 9th 2012 at 10:36 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm not sure there's a difference. Once you actually take up residence (as opposed to being a visitor), most states demand that you obtain a state license in a much shorter time frame.
The Visa is not relevant, Immigration is Federal. DL's are State.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Visa is not relevant, Immigration is Federal. DL's are State.
Yes, I know. What's your point? I said nothing about visas or immigration status. Establishing residency in a state as opposed to visiting a state are two different things for DL purposes.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 9th 2012 at 10:55 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
That only applies to people moving within the US and becoming Oregon residents. If you actually ask them they will tell you, arriving from the UK to take up residence you get the 12 months allowed under the international convention on driving licences.
Found this:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/drive...y.shtml#res_or

Residency may be established by a number of actions, described in the list below and in ORS 803.200 and ORS 807.062. Once you have become a resident of Oregon, you are required by Oregon law to obtain Oregon vehicle title and registration and to obtain an Oregon Driver License or Instruction Permit. Failure to register a vehicle once residency has been established is a Class D traffic violation. Failure to obtain an Oregon Driver License or Instruction Permit once residency has been established is a Class B traffic violation.

If you are uncertain whether you qualify for an Oregon Driver License, ID Card, or Oregon Vehicle Registration, ask yourself the following questions:

Do I remain in Oregon for a consecutive period of six months or more each year?
Have I enrolled my children in an Oregon public school without payment of nonresident tuition fees?
Do I pay Oregon resident tuition fees at an educational institution maintained by public funds?
Have I made a declaration to be a resident of Oregon for the purpose of obtaining, at resident rates, a state license (other than an Oregon Driver License)?
Is Oregon listed as my home of record in my military records?
Do I pay resident income taxes to the state of Oregon?
Old Mar 9th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Each state is different. Look up the DMV website for the state you'll be living in.

In most cases, you will find it difficult to get a driver license without a SSN. So you will most likely drive on your UK license until you get your SSN and can apply for a local driver license.

Rene
That's exactly what I did, always made sure I had my UK license and my passport when driving. As soon as I got my SSN drove about an hour and a half for some paperwork then went to my local courthouse a couple of days later for an eye/written test, no practical needed. New license handed over. Happy days.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kneeno
That's exactly what I did, always made sure I had my UK license and my passport when driving. As soon as I got my SSN drove about an hour and a half for some paperwork then went to my local courthouse a couple of days later for an eye/written test, no practical needed. New license handed over. Happy days.
Not all immigranys get a SSN though, eg H4s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.