Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using a UK debit card in America

Using a UK debit card in America

Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice
Default Re: Using a UK debit card in America

Originally Posted by Sharron_
I have never been charged anything by a US bank for withdrawing cash from an ATM...but that was in the days before Washington Mutual got taken over by Chase. Maybe it's different now, as I haven't used my Nationwide card recently.
Just to say I have used a Nationwide Flex card in the sates a lot. I lost it once and it cost me about an extra £5 to get $100 from my NatWest account. If you plan to travel quite a bit the Flex card will save you a small fortune.

Re fees - shop around. Some charge some don't. Wamu didn't but in these Chase days it might be different.

Steve
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Gepa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using a UK debit card in America

The bank I work for has rules imposed on the use of cards in ATM's by Visa.

Generally for Point of sale there is no issue. The card will work in Bureau De change and well as a bank for getting cash out. ATM it will generally work once then stop. Unless you notify your bank.

Daily limits are the same as in the UK but you need to factor in the the charge and exchange rate when taking funds out. Generally if you let you bank know in advance they can make the Fraud systems aware you are going to be in a certain country and they will lift the restrictions on the card for the time you are there but always check the Fee's first before using.