Reload this Page >

Using a UK debit card in America

Using a UK debit card in America

Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:46 am
Just Joined

supersonic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using a UK debit card in America

Hi,

I'll be visiting America soon, and I've changed up some money into Dollars, but I'm taking my HSBC debit card too. I was wondering if I can use it anywhere in America, or are there only certain cash points that will let me use it? I don't want my card getting chewed up or anything.

Thanks
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:56 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a UK debit card in America

Originally Posted by supersonic1
Hi,

I'll be visiting America soon, and I've changed up some money into Dollars, but I'm taking my HSBC debit card too. I was wondering if I can use it anywhere in America, or are there only certain cash points that will let me use it? I don't want my card getting chewed up or anything.

Thanks
you should be fine.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:22 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It probably won't work everywhere, but ATMs over here don't steal cards or chew them up. If you have a credit card, bring that too - that one should work everywhere.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:45 am
Just Joined

danicrun is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be fine but don't forget, HSBC will charge a transaction fee every time you use it (usually around 2.5%)

If you only want to use it to purchase goods, apply for and obtain Post Office credit card before you leave, as they're the only company who don't charge a transaction fee each time you use it.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danicrun
You should be fine but don't forget, HSBC will charge a transaction fee every time you use it (usually around 2.5%)

If you only want to use it to purchase goods, apply for and obtain Post Office credit card before you leave, as they're the only company who don't charge a transaction fee each time you use it.
Yeah, this is good.

Also, make sure you remember to tell your bank you are going to the US before you leave, otherwise they will likely freeze the card automatically after the 2nd or 3rd transaction.

You probably won't be able to re-activate your card once it has been frozen. This has happened to me on numerous occasions.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Yeah, this is good.

Also, make sure you remember to tell your bank you are going to the US before you leave, otherwise they will likely freeze the card automatically after the 2nd or 3rd transaction.

You probably won't be able to re-activate your card once it has been frozen. This has happened to me on numerous occasions.
B of A did this to me when I was in Australia, they insisted I call every 24 hours to verify the charges I made, wasn't the easiest task when time zone issue as the department they made me call wasn't open 24/7....

They of course froze the card first on 1st transaction, even though they knew I was oversea's.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:54 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I traveled extensively abroad over a period of time while living in the UK, never informed my bank (it never crossed my mind) and never had any cards frozen. Was I lucky? I wonder what makes them freeze one account but not another?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Was I lucky? I wonder what makes them freeze one account but not another?
Hsbc upgraded their computerized fraud detection system earlier this year. The new system is very sensitive to unusual or non-UK activity - I know having set it off myself. However, hsbc kindly called me to verify the transaction so there was no problem.

Reading the press it seems that foreign transaction fraud has gone up since the introduction of "chip and pin".
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:19 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
... but ATMs over here don't steal cards or chew them up.
Tell that to the one that stole my card - it was early morning and the machine just took my card and didn't do anything. I called my bank immediately to put a hold on activity on the card, then called the bank as soon as it opened - they told me that it wasn't in the machine, so annoyingly I had to have the card cancelled and a new one sent out.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly recommend that you inform the bank, having had visitors here all summer and several of them having their cards frozen when they tried to use them....a call to the 24/7 bank help line got it sorted out, but was a pain in the backside!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I strongly recommend that you inform the bank, having had visitors here all summer and several of them having their cards frozen when they tried to use them....a call to the 24/7 bank help line got it sorted out, but was a pain in the backside!
Yes that happened to my sister when she was over at the beginning of the year. It was a CC they has specifically got to use while over here and informed the bank before hand of their travel arrangements!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Yes that happened to my sister when she was over at the beginning of the year. It was a CC they has specifically got to use while over here and informed the bank before hand of their travel arrangements!
At least one of my visitors had informed their bank (Barclays) but they still froze the card the first time she tried to use it.
Just as an aside, I always let our back over here know when I'm travelling for the same reason, or when my OH is abroad for work and using our joint cc account or they freeze my card over here and then will only speak to him about it (which infuriates me as it's a joint account and he's usually somewhere with a 13 hour time difference!!!!)
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:05 pm
Banned

FLexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

If we can try to remember that the reason the banks would possibly freeze our cards, is to protect us from fraud, it's easier to understand. If we've told the bank and they still freeze it, not so good...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FLexpat
If we can try to remember that the reason the banks would possibly freeze our cards, is to protect us from fraud, it's easier to understand. If we've told the bank and they still freeze it, not so good...
oh I totally agree...I'd rather they did that than not bother...it's just really annoying when, in one instance, my OH was in China and although we'd told the bank he was there they still froze our cc and I didn't find out until I was trying to buy a new fridge!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:17 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i dont have an hsbc - i have a first direct (but its the same parent company)
The debit card works fine here in a lot of places - but NOT everywhere.
Make sure when you swipe your card at the checkout that you use the 'debit' option and not the credit card option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.