Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using UK credit cards in USA

Using UK credit cards in USA

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using UK credit cards in USA

Do you have chip and pin available or is signature only required?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:02 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using UK credit cards in USA

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Do you have chip and pin available or is signature only required?
Its done very similar to the UK but not the same. One thing I would say is that you should tell your card issuer that you'll be in the US otherwise they may block your card.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Thydney, I will tell them, however I'm not sure what you mean by similar but not the same. Do I need to enter my PIN number or can I just sign a credit slip?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:27 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Thydney, I will tell them, however I'm not sure what you mean by similar but not the same. Do I need to enter my PIN number or can I just sign a credit slip?
I think most shops you have to sign for a credit card..(they ask you debit or credit) if you say credit..they print off the receipt for you to sign...other shops you just have to sign electronically on the machine..

they don't use chip and pin but they do swipe..or they should do..

don't worry, they'll get the money off you ..
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks - I am only worried cos I want to use my UK credit card and have forgotten the PIN. I live in NZ now and use a NZ cc but don't want to use it in the USA.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:45 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I am only worried cos I want to use my UK credit card and have forgotten the PIN. I live in NZ now and use a NZ cc but don't want to use it in the USA.
you can actually phone them up and after answering all the relevant security questions, they should tell you what it is and send you the number through the post..(yes I've had to do it)..
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:21 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
you can actually phone them up and after answering all the relevant security questions, they should tell you what it is and send you the number through the post..(yes I've had to do it)..
I think you're wrong about the tell you what it is over the phone bit. I've never heard of any UK bank employee being able to know what your PIN is - far too insecure (used to work in banking back home). That's one of the things that's so shit about banking in the US. When I opened my account at a local bank I had to pick a PIN myself and write it on a form that they kept!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:02 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by tonrob
I think you're wrong about the tell you what it is over the phone bit. I've never heard of any UK bank employee being able to know what your PIN is - far too insecure (used to work in banking back home). That's one of the things that's so shit about banking in the US. When I opened my account at a local bank I had to pick a PIN myself and write it on a form that they kept!

arrgh!...yep your right, sorry, it was the US bank that I did this with over the phone..and like you said it was the number that I had given them on the form..

the UK bank will post your pin number through the mail, as I had to do this when I returned..
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why any of you think you need to sign anything in most places here, security is very lax indeed.

Almost every time they just swipe your card and give it back to you. Some supermarkets ask you to sign their screen thingamajig. If the item is of significant value you might be asked to show ID.

But chip and pin just doesn't exist in the US at this time. The only time you'd need your pin is if you attempted to withdraw cash at a cash machine.

As others have said, ensure that your UK card issuer knows you plan to use the card in the US, or they may decline transactions, presuming it's unauthorised card activity.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Feb 2nd 2010 at 3:17 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw my first shop that had the chip reader on their debit/credit card swipe....bit odd.

Anyway, just sign for stuff and you'll be set.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:42 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I just saw my first shop that had the chip reader on their debit/credit card swipe....bit odd.
I saw one a few years back when I was visiting here. I had to explain to the staff what it was and how it worked. They got very excited. I wonder if they ever used it again.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:43 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Anyway, just sign for stuff and you'll be set.
We have a few around here. Only ever see them used by foreigners though.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Almost every time they just swipe your card and give it back to you. Some supermarkets ask you to sign their screen thingamajig. If the item is of significant value you might be asked to show ID.
Not arguing with you and many people don't have a problem with the security of their ID but I never show my ID when signing for purchase. There is too much information on my DL to show to a min. wage person who may ask to see some form of ID.
It is specifically against the terms the of both Visa, Amex and Mastercard for you to be forced to show ID in order to complete a transaction in a situation where the card is present (i.e. all the time in a face-to-face shop purchase). I make a point of refusing and escalating if they don't relent. I also have the speed dial # for my Visa and MC cards on my cell and have called it in the past to report establishments who won't take a card without ID. We are being conditioned to show ID for everything, even when it isn't necessary.

See page 28 and 29 here for an example:-
http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan..._merchants.pdf

Note a card signed with "See ID" is not valid, unless of course that is your name!

Also note this sentence on page 29:-
When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa
rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants
cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot
refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to
provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their
regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal
for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

Mastercard and Amex have sisimilar&C's.

Just say "No" to providing ID.

Oh and to the OP, chip and pin is unheard of here.

- Tim
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's all very well and good, but it's usually more hassle than it is worth and sure they are breaking the t&c's, but then they also don't have to serve you and accept a card transaction. Also those t&c's are for credit card purchases, doesn't cover debit card purchases.

There's also nothing on your drivers license that important these days unlike in the past when they had the ssn on them.

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Not arguing with you and many people don't have a problem with the security of their ID but I never show my ID when signing for purchase. There is too much information on my DL to show to a min. wage person who may ask to see some form of ID.
It is specifically against the terms the of both Visa, Amex and Mastercard for you to be forced to show ID in order to complete a transaction in a situation where the card is present (i.e. all the time in a face-to-face shop purchase). I make a point of refusing and escalating if they don't relent. I also have the speed dial # for my Visa and MC cards on my cell and have called it in the past to report establishments who won't take a card without ID. We are being conditioned to show ID for everything, even when it isn't necessary.

See page 28 and 29 here for an example:-
http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan..._merchants.pdf

Note a card signed with "See ID" is not valid, unless of course that is your name!

Also note this sentence on page 29:-
When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa
rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants
cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot
refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to
provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their
regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal
for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

Mastercard and Amex have sisimilar&C's.

Just say "No" to providing ID.

Oh and to the OP, chip and pin is unheard of here.

- Tim
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

I've never seen a chip and pin reader in the US. They do swipe the card, and usually ask for a signature if it is over $30 or so.

It won't be a problem not knowing your PIN number. PIN numbers are used for debit card transactions, not credit.

Also, it does not appear to matter if the signature is the same as the one on the card. I have often used my husband's card, and vice versa, and we have never been questioned when we sign our own names.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.