Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using UK Credit Cards in the U.S.

Using UK Credit Cards in the U.S.

Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:17 pm
Sailorchief

Sailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really niceSailorchief is just really nice
Default Re: Using UK Credit Cards in the U.S.

Probably a little late to get a Halifax Clarity card as that is the only(?) card which gives you the perfect rate of exchange on purchases - as hyped by Martin Lewis in his Money saving Tips website.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 3:56 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sailorchief
Probably a little late to get a Halifax Clarity card as that is the only(?) card which gives you the perfect rate of exchange on purchases - as hyped by Martin Lewis in his Money saving Tips website.
So does Post Office credit card, which is what I have. Only difference is you have to pay to withdraw cash.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:36 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I used my Barclay card here for many years to withdraw my UK pension.
Dropped it last year because of the new increased fees.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
So does Post Office credit card, which is what I have. Only difference is you have to pay to withdraw cash.
I suspect most credit cards charge a fee for withdrawing cash as that is considered a cash advance.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:07 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know my sister doesn't pay charges on her UK CC when she comes over.
try halifax clarity, the post office credit card or nationwide these all do not charge any % for overseas transactions so essentially you get the interbank rate cant really beat it frankly!
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notshipman
try halifax clarity, the post office credit card or nationwide these all do not charge any % for overseas transactions so essentially you get the interbank rate cant really beat it frankly!
A percentage fee and a wider spread than the inter-bank rate are two entirely different matters, and unless a bank is in the business of givings its services away, you either pay a fee or a wider spread than the interbank rate, .... or both! If there is no percentage fee I suspect that there is a wider spread on foreign transactions than the inter-bank rate.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:43 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A percentage fee and a wider spread than the inter-bank rate are two entirely different matters, and unless a bank is in the business of givings its services away, you either pay a fee or a wider spread than the interbank rate, .... or both! If there is no percentage fee I suspect that there is a wider spread on foreign transactions than the inter-bank rate.
One of my favourite lines is "Free? That sounds expensive!".

This and other forums are chock full of stories of "free" banking. But there really is no such thing.

Yes, if you keep a minimum balance of X and have your wages and all your direct deposits run through some banks, you can get away with "free" banking. But of course, in return, they get a guaranteed money supply to sell as loans or other investments. So I reckon you could say it's "free" (to you), but even "free" accounts inevitably charge you something.

"No fees for transactions abroad" *necessarily* means you get a lesser exchange rate. Sometimes this amounts to more money than paying their 'fees'. But either way, you will pay.

I suppose it's not entirely unlike that "free" iPhone you get when you sign up for a 2 year mobile contract at just $49.95 per month (that's about $1200 you'll be spending, but an iPhone costs $500+ retail, and costs the mobile operator less than $300).

Another common "free" thing that falls in that category is the "no commission" currency exchanges. Sure, there's "no commission", but they pocket 2+ points from every unit exchanged. I reckon the airport exchangers trade millions of currency units per day. Probably profiting between $10 and $100K per DAY - per kiosk - all without charging any commission!

I love "free" stuff, but seriously, there are no 'philanthropic' banks. Period. Yes, some sound better than others, but they aren't a charity. And nothing is free.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 8:19 pm
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
the clarity card gives you the mastercard wholesale rate which is pretty much the best you gonna get for a currency exchange. they make it up other ways by having higher interest rates, no rewards scheme, cashback etc