Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using UK/Aussie electrical goods in USA

Using UK/Aussie electrical goods in USA

Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:19 am
Just Joined

milesr is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Using UK/Aussie electrical goods in USA

Just about to relocateto the US for a couple of years. We have brand new white goods from Australia and lots of UK electricals.

I know we can buy transformers - but does anyone have experience of whether the goods really work with a transformer - or should we sell it all before we come?

Thanks in advance.

Ruth
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:40 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using UK/Aussie electrical goods in USA

Originally Posted by milesr
Just about to relocateto the US for a couple of years. We have brand new white goods from Australia and lots of UK electricals.

I know we can buy transformers - but does anyone have experience of whether the goods really work with a transformer - or should we sell it all before we come?

Thanks in advance.

Ruth
Plug them in when you get here, and let us all know the outcome.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

If I was coming over from Australia and having to pay my own shipping, I don't think I'd bother.

Surely the shipping costs would outweigh the cost of buying new here?

White goods are so inexpensive, that to have to bother with transformers etc..is just a major pain.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
If I was coming over from Australia and having to pay my own shipping, I don't think I'd bother.

Surely the shipping costs would outweigh the cost of buying new here?

White goods are so inexpensive, that to have to bother with transformers etc..is just a major pain.

I would agree with that completely. Pretty much everything will work fine with a transformer, but unless you are emotionally attached then sell it and get new. Plus all white goods are huge over here so your small ones might look out of place!!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:19 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.

Ruth

They work fine with transformers

I use my playstation, sony tv, B & O hifi, espresso machine, cd and amplifier and uk cordless phone with no probs whatsoever

although as the other posters have mentioned, do a quick analysis of what it is you want to bring over, if its a 250 goodmans widescreen tv then don;t bother, the cost of shipping will outweigh the value
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the goods...though cost of shipping means it ain't worth it most of the time...and if it is new things like fridges/cookers, well you can get the house wired for it...but for the small things, unless you have a quality sound system, it just isn't worth the hassle.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
They work fine with transformers

I use my playstation, sony tv, B & O hifi, espresso machine, cd and amplifier and uk cordless phone with no probs whatsoever

although as the other posters have mentioned, do a quick analysis of what it is you want to bring over, if its a 250 goodmans widescreen tv then don;t bother, the cost of shipping will outweigh the value

So - you dont think the different cycle 50 or 60 makes any difference - not an electrician so dont understand these things? Wanted to bring fridge/washing machine and dryer.

I guess if there is space in the container might as well bring them otherwise cheaper to buy over there.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So - you dont think the different cycle 50 or 60 makes any difference - not an electrician so dont understand these things? Wanted to bring fridge/washing machine and dryer.
The Hz..well it can do, but for kitchen items, can have a 240v supply...though it really isn't worth the hassle unless it is top of the line gear or brand spanking new.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:50 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the goods...though cost of shipping means it ain't worth it most of the time...and if it is new things like fridges/cookers, well you can get the house wired for it...but for the small things, unless you have a quality sound system, it just isn't worth the hassle.
Don't stuff with rotate cd' players casstette decks etc run at wrong speed, I left my turntable at my mums cos of that and clock radio runs hours behind with a converter
Old Mar 1st 2006, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
... I left my turntable at my mums cos of that and clock radio runs hours behind with a converter
or decks, yeah, but you can get crystal frequency changers, only worth it if you have quality gear though.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
or decks, yeah, but you can get crystal frequency changers, only worth it if you have quality gear though.
So will the washing machine and dryer work at the right speed without the frequency changer? Presumably the fridge will be fine as no motor?

Only bought the stuff a few months ago so would like to bring if possible.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

So will the washing machine and dryer work at the right speed without the frequency changer? Presumably the fridge will be fine as no motor?

do your self a favour and check the power label to confirm what voltage wattage and frequency they are - you should be fine with transformers.

are you paying your own shipping - been said b4 but if you are dont bother

also dont know what size appliances are there - but they are huge here so yours will probably look stupid and you will wish you hadnt bothered!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...Presumably the fridge will be fine as no motor?
a pump is basically a motor...it pumps the gases around for cooling...but anyway, as Big D said, check the labels, they could be dual voltage etc and you could be worrying about nothing.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:26 am
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Presumably the fridge will be fine as no motor?

No, the fridge has a compressor, which is driven by a motor. Fridge/washing machine/dryer from UK are most likely only rated for 50Hz, so just a voltage converter isn't enough. You can overheat a motor by running it at US 60Hz if it's only designed for 50 Hz. Check the label on the applicance. By the way, all US homes have 230V as the primary input power, which is used for dryers/cookers/AC etc. (the 115V is basically 230V split in two). You can route this 230 volts all around the home through sockets which have a slightly different pin pattern, but you'd need to hire an electrician to do this. Cheaper just to buy all new applicances. If you're only here a short time, buy the cheapest. You can get a washing machine and dryer for less than $400 for the pair.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:29 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if there is space in the container might as well bring them otherwise cheaper to buy over there.
It hasn't affected the items i shiped over, although, unless very pricey i dunno whether i would bring the items you mention over

here you also get gas powered dryers which are much better in my experience than elec powered

many kitchens are actually wired for 240 v as some elec dryers use it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.