British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Using NHS in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/using-nhs-america-704092/)

draxdrax Feb 6th 2011 9:35 pm

Using NHS in America

Ive recently moved back to the US from London and need to use my NHS card for insurance here as I dont have any. I was told I can use it here as others do but have no idea who to. If anyone can help, that would be lovely. Thanks.

dreamercon Feb 6th 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Using NHS in America

NHS card does not work in the United States.

Originally Posted by draxdrax (Post 9157171)
Ive recently moved back to the US from London and need to use my NHS card for insurance here as I dont have any. I was told I can use it here as others do but have no idea who to. If anyone can help, that would be lovely. Thanks.

tonrob Feb 6th 2011 9:45 pm

Using your NHS card to get treatment in the US? I think you have been misinformed.

draxdrax Feb 6th 2011 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by dreamercon (Post 9157192)
NHS card does not work in the United States.

But Brits and Europeans come here daily so they must be able to use it for medical emergencies or a doctor visit. My friend who is European said you can use it here but you have to fill out some form. Otherwise thousands of people visit who have no coverage so there has to be some way.

dreamercon Feb 6th 2011 9:51 pm

Yes - thats why most tourists buy their own insurance prior to coming here.
If you dont, you are taking the risk upon yourself.

Besides, you say you "moved" here - NHS generally only covers those visiting other (European and a few other) countries who live in Britain (with few exceptions).

Originally Posted by draxdrax (Post 9157210)
But Brits and Europeans come here daily so they must be able to use it for medical emergencies or a doctor visit. My friend who is European said you can use it here but you have to fill out some form. Otherwise thousands of people visit who have no coverage so there has to be some way.

tonrob Feb 6th 2011 10:07 pm

Refer back to posts #2 and 3.

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2011 10:09 pm

I'm sorry but your post gave me a good chuckle. :o You will have to arrange your own insurance because your NHS card is of no use in the US...BTW it's no use to you in the UK as you are no longer a UK resident.

If you've lived here before surely you know that arranging healthcare insurance is probably the most important thing to look into before moving.

md95065 Feb 6th 2011 11:41 pm

But Brits and Europeans come here daily so they must be able to use it for medical emergencies or a doctor visit.

Why "must they" be able to use it?

Otherwise thousands of people visit who have no coverage so there has to be some way.
Yes - it's called "buying travel insurance" ...

Bob Feb 6th 2011 11:48 pm

The only use the NHS card will have to you is proving that you have had continuous healthcare coverage without a break so that you can get private insurance here.

It's no use for actual treatment, that's what travel insurance is for, or in the case of a move here, getting your own insurance either through work or privately...

Sally Redux Feb 6th 2011 11:52 pm

Yes and if you call 999 in an emergency a nice British Bobby will rush to your aid :rolleyes:

Rete Feb 7th 2011 12:01 am

Actually I think I know where your friend's advice might have come from. At one time, a Canadian snowbird would be able to get medical care using their Canadian health plan. The doctor/hospital would then send the bill to the Canadian health plan and would be paid. I know my sister and brother-in-law did this all the time. Then the Canadian healthcare payment to US doctors/hospitals was stopped and then had to purchase private healthcare if they were going to be in the US for the winter and/or at minimum get travel healthcare insurance.

ian-mstm Feb 7th 2011 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9157459)
At one time, a Canadian snowbird would be able to get medical care using their Canadian health plan. The doctor/hospital would then send the bill to the Canadian health plan and would be paid.

+1

Yup... that's what my folks did, until OHIP stopped allowing it. At that point, they moved back to Canada permanently.

Ian

Duncan Roberts Feb 7th 2011 2:45 am

Is this a joke or are you serious? If you are serious I would tell people its a joke so you dont look quite as stupid.

dbj1000 Feb 7th 2011 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 9157731)
Is this a joke or are you serious? If you are serious I would tell people its a joke so you dont look quite as stupid.

Certainly gave me a good laugh. Nice one OP!

MsElui Feb 7th 2011 3:43 am

you are possibly confusing the E111 scheme - which allows a uk resident to get reciprocal treatment at any other European country. This scheme does not extend to the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...Insurance_Card

OR

you are confusing the fact that some people use their previous UK status and eligibility for the NHS to claim they have been in 'continuous' health insurance cover and thereby not have to have exclusions on the health insurance policy here. They still have to buy a policy here but use their nhs coverage as proof of previous cover and end up with more cover than they might have been able to get otherwise.