Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

using my printer in US

using my printer in US

Old Dec 14th 2003, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default using my printer in US

I have a new HP laserjet printer that I brought with me to US.

It is marked 220-240V and 50/60Hz.

Does this mean I can just plug it directly into the mains here?

Or do I need a transformer?

MY PS2 is similarly marked and also my Pioneer DVD player.

(I appreciate that these two items output a PAL signal).
Old Dec 15th 2003, 4:03 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

I have no idea what the answer is but how is LA treating you? I drive past Los Feliz everyday to work!

See you around.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: using my printer in US

Originally posted by ireland132

You will need to buy a stepdown transformer for all the items.
Ensure that the transformer is able to supply the wattage that you need.

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2003, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

smiler 125 - thanks for that answer. I looked at another couple of posts and have found a good place to buy transformers on line.

scotch 03 - LA is treating us all well. My wife gave birth to a baby boy (our first) exactly 5 weeks ago today! I have a good commute everyday to Burbank and we are enjoying the weather (except today, when it became a bit dreich, as they said in the town where i grew up). Thanks for your advice on the board prior to our arrival.

Have a good festive season. I thought you were due to move from LA?
Old Dec 15th 2003, 1:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by smiler125
You will need to buy a stepdown transformer for all the items.
Ensure that the transformer is able to supply the wattage that you need.

Cheers

Yes, you need a transformer. I bought one for the printer we brought from the UK.

We calculated how much wattage we'd need but it wasn't sufficient. I don't know how best to describe this but when a printer is in use, the amount of power it uses is not always constant. It "peaks" from time to time so you need to compensate by having a transformer of much greater wattage than necessary.

I've read it's about three times the stated amount you need. I may be mistaken about all this but our printer only worked a few times when attached to the transformer.

Others probably can explain better how to determine the wattage you really need.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:17 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

1. No electrical appliance from the U.K will plug directly into a U.S outlet.

2. The voltage in the U.S is typically 110v/120v with a 60 Hz cycle.

3. You can try a transformer but as many Brits have found, they 'burn out' quite quickly and you may have to buy extra plug adapters it depends on the type of transformer that you buy.

4. As NC said printers are probably the most finicky appliance to bring over they flacuate alot in volts and Hz so the transformers can't even cope with it.

To every Brit coming over, sell the toasters, TV's, videos, cookers, DVD players, and plug into the mains sex toy's and buy new in the states, it saves alot of hassle and electronic appliances are WAY cheaper than the U.K.

Go to ultimate electronics, get yerself a 12 months interest free card and go on a shopping spree, you'll have alot more fun than buggering around with big black obtuse transformers dotted around the house.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Ireland, you will need a STEP-UP transformer, not a step-down as someone has said here in reply. I've bought printers, wireless phones etc. from the UK and run them with no problems on step-up transformers from jameco (www.jameco.com). I use the tiny 99477 for printers etc. Yes, it's true the stuff is cheaper to buy here in the first place but why throw away perfectly good equipment. I also greatly regretted throwing away things like vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc. 220VAc is available in US homes. I've put in myself some 220V UK-style outlets in my garage (to run drills, sanders, planers etc. that I bought with me) and kitchen (for mixers etc.). If you (or a friend is handy with electricity then it's a doddle.

Just my 2c.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:51 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AndySmithers
Ireland, you will need a STEP-UP transformer, not a step-down as someone has said here in reply. I've bought printers, wireless phones etc. from the UK and run them with no problems on step-up transformers from jameco (www.jameco.com). I use the tiny 99477 for printers etc. Yes, it's true the stuff is cheaper to buy here in the first place but why throw away perfectly good equipment. I also greatly regretted throwing away things like vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc. 220VAc is available in US homes. I've put in myself some 220V UK-style outlets in my garage (to run drills, sanders, planers etc. that I bought with me) and kitchen (for mixers etc.). If you (or a friend is handy with electricity then it's a doddle.

Just my 2c.
so what yer doing in Flint, Texas Andy? do you work from home or work in Tyler?
Old Dec 15th 2003, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
so what yer doing in Flint, Texas Andy? do you work from home or work in Tyler?
Hi Yosser,
Flint, TX is a tiny postal district (not even really a town) just South of Tyler.
I actually work in Tyler as an electronics engineer / sales for an Italian owned company that I originally worked for in the UK.
If you are interested, then check out my web page (hosted at home) www.andy.smithers.name .
Old Dec 15th 2003, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Where are you at, Yosser, your Profile doesn't give much away!!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 4:45 pm
Never right in the head!

Where are you at, Yosser, your Profile doesn't give much away!!
I'm in Rowlett Texas, not all that far from Tyler really (well not texan distances anyway! go highway 20 to 635 then up Hwy 30 exit Dalrock).

I like the website, small world I'm from Portland Dorset (near weymouth) and I used to work at the Bovington army base not far from Wareham (as a electrican/auto electrican).
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:39 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Ireland, you will need a STEP-UP transformer, not a step-down as someone has said here in reply.
No Sir, you need a step-down. You're decreasing the voltage, after all.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:44 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

oops I'm thick, I didn't read the question properly....step-up it is.

tis, as someone pointed out, a much more practical solution to buy new electrical items over in the US.

unless, of course, the item in question has sentimental value
....always a tough one to explain to the new wife....
Old Dec 16th 2003, 1:47 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Transformers Work.

Apparently they aren't just robots in disguise.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electrom...a/transformer/