Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using My Inflatable Airbed In The US

Using My Inflatable Airbed In The US

Old Aug 13th 2016, 2:36 am
Just Joined

WaitWhat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using My Inflatable Airbed In The US

Relocated to the US (LA) last year... loving it... and we have friends coming to stay over the next few months - a steady flow between now and February.

Tried to use the inflatable airbed we brought from the UK and, naturally, the motor power is very low (and slow!) using just the plug convertor. Any tips/recommendations for how to solve this? Had a lok on Amazon for voltage convertors and got confused. If anyone can recommend a solution that'd be great... ideally, not buying a new one.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13th 2016, 2:55 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using My Inflatable Airbed In The US

I'm assuming the pump is built in? If it isn't then amazon/walmart/sports authority all sell pumps for about $15.

Otherwise, Walmart sell blow-up mattresses for about $20 for a queen size. Perfectly comfortable - I've just returned from sleeping on one for 2 weeks so can vouch for them.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
I'm assuming the pump is built in? If it isn't then amazon/walmart/sports authority all sell pumps for about $15.

Otherwise, Walmart sell blow-up mattresses for about $20 for a queen size. Perfectly comfortable - I've just returned from sleeping on one for 2 weeks so can vouch for them.
Yeah, it is built in. Ideally, rather than buying a new one, we can go down the transformer route - it cost us quite a bit of money and it's a good one.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:53 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the spec plate on the pump - should be somewhere near where the power cord is attached. It will say how many watts the pump motor uses. You need a transformer that will handle about 50% more than the watts the pump motor requires. So if it says 200w, you need a a transformer that will handle at least 300w.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I would NOT recommend running a pump for a bed using a step-up transformer.

Those things are dangerous at the best of times and to run them while asleep is potentially asking to be on the six-o-clock news!
Old Aug 13th 2016, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
I would NOT recommend running a pump for a bed using a step-up transformer.

Those things are dangerous at the best of times and to run them while asleep is potentially asking to be on the six-o-clock news!
but you only need to run them to inflate the bed, not all night?

Having said that, it seems like an overkill to use a transformer. I used my uk blow up bed occasionally in the US, just needed a bit of patience but worked fine. If you don't want to do that, then it is cheaper just to buy a new mattress in the US.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 12:09 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I would NOT recommend running a pump for a bed using a step-up transformer. .....
Like YW said, you inflate the bed once and it stays inflated for weeks/months/years. It certainly doesn't need to stay plugged in while you're asleep.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Like YW said, you inflate the bed once and it stays inflated for weeks/months/years. It certainly doesn't need to stay plugged in while you're asleep.
Good God no and I certainly wouldn't need, or want to, run it all night. It only needs to be long enough to inflate - a few minutes at best - and then it is switched off. I remains inflated very nicely so that's not an issue. Just want more power so it works the same way as it did in the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok. I guess I thought they would be plugged in to constantly 'top up' the inflation.

Just wanted to be sure the OP was aware of the dangers of using them. I cringe whenever someone wants to use a transformer to run their British telly, especially when you can buy something twice the size for half the cost of the transformer!
Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:38 am
Unedicated dropout

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Heavy duty plug and try to run it off the 220v washing machine outlet? (You may want to check the voltage cycle on the pump, UK is 50Hz, US is 60Hz. Ideally the pump should be rated as '50/60Hz')
Old Aug 14th 2016, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Washing machine is 110v. I think you mean the dryer outlet.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Heavy duty plug and try to run it off the 220v washing machine outlet? (You may want to check the voltage cycle on the pump, UK is 50Hz, US is 60Hz. Ideally the pump should be rated as '50/60Hz')
And then manoeuvre it through the house inflated to get it to the desired room? Have you seen the size of an inflatable double bed? Depending on your house layout, it may be altogether less hassle to put up with the slow motor.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:37 pm
Unedicated dropout

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
And then manoeuvre it through the house inflated to get it to the desired room? Have you seen the size of an inflatable double bed? Depending on your house layout, it may be altogether less hassle to put up with the slow motor.
Or you could just put said aforementioned plug on a long extension cord, it's not as though the pump will be running for hours.
(You could even hook it up to the cooker outlet but they are usually somewhat awkwsrd to access...)
Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:44 pm
Unedicated dropout

Washing machine is 110v. I think you mean the dryer outlet.
Quite possibly, I'll ask the missus to point out which machine does what
Old Aug 14th 2016, 12:46 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Or you could just put said aforementioned plug on a long extension cord, it's not as though the pump will be running for hours.
(You could even hook it up to the cooker outlet but they are usually somewhat awkwsrd to access...)
In theory, but you'd have to cook up some weird adapter- connector and I don't think you can buy a dryer or stove plug that is not already pre-attached to a heavy duty connect cord aka pigtail. Sounds like a lot more trouble than it'd be worth.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.