Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using dell desktop in the usa

Using dell desktop in the usa

Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:55 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using dell desktop in the usa

Hi all, a a question for the techies please.

I've brought my dell inspiron 660 series desktop over. Plugged it in, there is a light showing power going to the unit but it doesn't switch on. Before I let the kids loose on the interior can anyone confirm that it should work here?

the power supply unit is
Device Type Power supply
Power AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Power Provided 300.0 Watt

thanks

Karen
Old Nov 24th 2013, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using dell desktop in the usa

There's usually a switch/slider somewhere that you need to change to the appropriate power supply settings. DO NOT try to power up without verifying this.

(I understand you've already tried. Hopefully you haven't damaged anything.)
Old Nov 24th 2013, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago I took a US Dell desktop to Germany, and only after plugging it in did I realise it had a MANUAL voltage switch. There was a loud popping sound and a bit of smoke. Thankfully Dell US customer service was kind enough to send me a replacement power supply and motherboard.

Any engineering types here know of dangers of lower voltage in a computer set for 230v?

Last edited by HDWill; Nov 24th 2013 at 2:25 am.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 3:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Dell's usually have a red or a black tab on the PSU, at the back. You slide that over and it's good to go.

You've powered it up, so it could well be fried and if you're lucky you just replace the PSU, if unlucky, you replace the mobo. Saying that, lower power supply might be your saving grace and it didn't do any damage.

Highend desktops often auto switch the supply, but Dell don't tend to use highend PSU's.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Dell's usually have a red or a black tab on the PSU, at the back. You slide that over and it's good to go.

You've powered it up, so it could well be fried and if you're lucky you just replace the PSU, if unlucky, you replace the mobo. Saying that, lower power supply might be your saving grace and it didn't do any damage.

Highend desktops often auto switch the supply, but Dell don't tend to use highend PSU's.
I looked at the owner's manual and didn't see any switch to switch between 110v and 220v and a switch was not mentioned in the owner's manual. Unless I missed something, it seems that it is likely auto switch since the owner's manual had a layout picture with about 30 different numbers pointing to different features but none indicating a 110v-220v switch.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 4:48 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I looked at the owner's manual and didn't see any switch to switch between 110v and 220v and a switch was not mentioned in the owner's manual. Unless I missed something, it seems that it is likely auto switch since the owner's manual had a layout picture with about 30 different numbers pointing to different features but none indicating a 110v-220v switch.
The picture of the back of the 660 on Dell's site has a red switch, which looks like the usual switch. It looks as though you need to use something thin to switch it as it's actually inside the cover, I assume to avoid accidentally knocking it. Either that or take the PSU out, switch the switch then stick it back in.

I'm assuming there's no mention of it in the manual as they won't support you if you make the switch and damage your computer.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Plus if the power supply is third party the Dell manual may not mention the switch.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

British American Family is an unknown quantity at this point

If there is no voltage selector switch, and the light is glowing. There is a good chance that the power supply might be defective. Replacing the power supply would be the next thing to do. A good power supply online anywhere between $20-$30 more if you want to put more money in to it. If you have shop do it, you will probably pay between $30 to $60 to install. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:32 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It usually looks like that little red thing next to where you connect the mains in this photo. It's not a traditional 'lever' switch but on you have to use something to enable, usually.

Old Nov 25th 2013, 12:39 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone,
my techy teenager found the switch on the outside of the box, after she'd opened up the box to look at the interior!

many thanks for the replies.

BTW we were trying to watch Dr Who on our TV using the iplayer. Many shenanigans later, a friend suggested media hint which seems to work although I'm a bit uncomfortable with it (data mining and security issues).

thoughts?

Karen

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Nov 25th 2013 at 12:40 am. Reason: grammar...
Old Nov 25th 2013, 1:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

You've powered it up, so it could well be fried and if you're lucky you just replace the PSU, if unlucky, .....
Save that advice for the Returning to the UK forum. .... Running a solid state device set for 220-240v on 110-120v is highly unlikely to do any damage, the opposite way (leaving North America) for most of the rest of the world using 220-240v, as you suggested, can be catastrophic.