Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Using consular birth registration certificate to get first UK passport

Using consular birth registration certificate to get first UK passport

Old May 2nd 2023, 5:10 am
Just Joined

JerseyMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Using consular birth registration certificate to get first UK passport

Hi all - long time reader first time poster here! I’m a UK citizen living and working in the US with a green card and married to my US citizen wife. Our son was born in the US a couple of years ago and has his US birth certificate and passport. At the time I registered his overseas birth with the Foreign Office in the UK and successfully received his Consular Birth Registration certificate.

I’m now looking to apply for his UK passport and hoping to use the Consular Birth registration in the passport application process to save me finding a whole range of original documents from parents and grandparents on both sides. My question is has anyone used the consular birth registration certificate when applying for a UK passport?

I’m going through the online passport application and if you tick that you have a “Naturalisation or Registration certificate” then it asks for a 7 digit certificate number usually found in the bottom left. There is no certificate number printed on the Consular registration certificate that I received - the only number is an “Entry Number” in the top right which is 6 digits and in the format xxxx/xx

When I enter that as shown it says no hyphen or / is allowed. I am going to just put the 6 numbers but wondering if I am missing something in the process?

thanks in advance!
Old May 2nd 2023, 12:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using consular birth registration certificate to get first UK passport

Consular birth registration is not the same process as registration as a British citizen so you should be ticking ‘No’ to that question.
Old May 2nd 2023, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using consular birth registration certificate to get first UK passport

Went through this process with both of my kids. The birth certificate shows they’re British citizens by birth, not naturalised. To get that birth certificate you have to go through the rigmarole of getting parent/grandparent birth certificates, so that work is already done. All you need for the passport application is that birth certificate (and the application, photos, etc. ). Pretty easy process. Just remember it’s a 5 year child’s passport so you have to renew more frequently.
Old May 3rd 2023, 1:02 am
Just Joined

JerseyMark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan17
Went through this process with both of my kids. The birth certificate shows they’re British citizens by birth, not naturalised. To get that birth certificate you have to go through the rigmarole of getting parent/grandparent birth certificates, so that work is already done. All you need for the passport application is that birth certificate (and the application, photos, etc. ). Pretty easy process. Just remember it’s a 5 year child’s passport so you have to renew more frequently.
Thanks - was the birth certificate you used the consular registration one that you get when registering an overseas birth, or something different? The consular registration certificate I received does show his claim to citizenship, and to get it I had to send off my own passport and birth certificate to prove my son is eligible for citizenship by descent (although I did not need any of his grandparents docs).
Old May 3rd 2023, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
Thanks - was the birth certificate you used the consular registration one that you get when registering an overseas birth, or something different? The consular registration certificate I received does show his claim to citizenship, and to get it I had to send off my own passport and birth certificate to prove my son is eligible for citizenship by descent (although I did not need any of his grandparents docs).
Yes, that’s right. Just the consular birth certificate.
Old May 3rd 2023, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Timely thread.... I'm just about to apply for my daughter's first UK passport (now she is 16...tight as I am I didn't want to be renewing both US and UK ones every five years 😁). Got her a consular birth certificate soon after she was born.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got around to doing this. Despite my daughter having the UK consular birth certificate, going through the online system they still seemed to want my own long-form birth certificate as well. No biggie of course as I have it - but I thought the whole idea of getting the consular birth cert was that you didn't need to do this (being as they have already seen it and other proving documents before, as Alan17 says).
Old Nov 13th 2023, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well that was a very quick turnaround - her passport just arrived, 2 weeks exactly!
Old Jan 12th 2024, 3:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Finally got around to doing this. Despite my daughter having the UK consular birth certificate, going through the online system they still seemed to want my own long-form birth certificate as well. No biggie of course as I have it - but I thought the whole idea of getting the consular birth cert was that you didn't need to do this (being as they have already seen it and other proving documents before, as Alan17 says).
HMPO can be very sniffy about taking the FCDO’s word for it unfortunately.