Reload this Page >

Using British straighteners in US

Using British straighteners in US

Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

beckles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using British straighteners in US

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but hopefully someone can help me.

I have a pair of hair straighteners that I brought with me from England that I was told would work here with a 40w reverse wattage converter from Radio Shack. However, upon going to my local Shack I found out that said device is for a two prong European plug, not the three prong UK one!

I have looked online and become confused. Do I need a step up transformer or would the Radio Shack devise work if I just get a plug adapter (UK->Euro) then plugged it into the converter? I'm so confused and I just want my Ghds to work!!

If you can help at all, please do!

Thank you so much!

Becky
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 12:31 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I very happily managed to use my GHD's over here for three months just using a bog standard converter thing. Then they died a death. I've switched to an American brand called CHI which are just as good.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Using British straighteners in US

you mean just the thingy that switches the plug shape from Uk to US? or the radioshack thingy....

i've heard of CHI, maybe when the ol' GHDs die (knock on wood!!).
thanks!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 1:26 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by beckles
you mean just the thingy that switches the plug shape from Uk to US? or the radioshack thingy....
Yes I was using the thingy that switches the wassit into an oggimaflip plug jobbie. I didn't do the Radioshack thing.

I have to say nothing beats GHD's so I feel your pain but the CHI's are pretty good. GHD doesn't let you order online for products either. You have to phone them in for delivery here.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 3:15 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

gosh I used to worry about things like that before I moved here...thing is, you soon find out that most appliances like this are so dirt cheap here that you may as well buy the US product, and keep your British products as spares for those inevitable trips back home.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
gosh I used to worry about things like that before I moved here...thing is, you soon find out that most appliances like this are so dirt cheap here that you may as well buy the US product, and keep your British products as spares for those inevitable trips back home.
Exactly why bother you can pick those up in places like target or walmart for about $15 or $16... it's not worth messing with.

Ash
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:41 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Exactly why bother you can pick those up in places like target or walmart for about $15 or $16... it's not worth messing with.

Ash
My daughter is addicted to her hair straighteners. She has really expensive (UK) ones, I forget the brand name, but they are ceramic and get hotter than the usual kind. She brought them here and uses them with an adaptor we bought at Gatwick airport for about £3. We did buy some here, thinking they would be as good, but they really aren't!!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 11:29 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

See? Isn't it so much better when women answer this type of electrical question? I personally can deal much better with the wotsits and the thingumybob and the oggimaflip plug jobbie than all those techincal terms. I still haven't bought my transformer coz I haven't a flipping clue what I'm looking for. Ask a bloke and you get more information than a NASA manual...ask a woman and you get a description of the dooda and then I can happily walk around radio shack looking for said item according to the description. Thanx ladies!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 11:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I feel inadequate. I have a shower, I get out, I dry self and hair with a towel. I comb hair. I leave (oh well I do put on clothes too.)
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 2:10 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I feel inadequate. I have a shower, I get out, I dry self and hair with a towel. I comb hair. I leave (oh well I do put on clothes too.)
Don't bother with the comb. A quick ruffle suffices.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 5:28 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dbark
My daughter is addicted to her hair straighteners. She has really expensive (UK) ones, I forget the brand name, but they are ceramic and get hotter than the usual kind. She brought them here and uses them with an adaptor we bought at Gatwick airport for about £3. We did buy some here, thinking they would be as good, but they really aren't!!
I was in Walmart tonight buying - you guessed it - straightners for my daughter. They had ceramic plated ones from about $14 and up (the most expensive being about $28). They also had glass plated ones.
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I was in Walmart tonight buying - you guessed it - straightners for my daughter. They had ceramic plated ones from about $14 and up (the most expensive being about $28). They also had glass plated ones.
That doesn't surpise me... stuff like that is usually quite cheap here... me? I would pay that and not have to mess with adapters etc.

Ash
Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

next_realm is an unknown quantity at this point

hey
i took my straighteners to florida a few months ago when i went on holiday and i used an uk usa adpater plug. it was ok but took so long to heat up(they take about 10 secs to heat up here) and werent half as effective as they are in the uk. but maybe they were just mine straighteners. im movin to usa next month and i plan to just buy some there.
its your call..
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

i broke down and just bought some US straighteners....they are supposed to be nice salon quality, so we'll see how they stack up next to the blessed ghds. thanks for your help, ladies!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:05 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by beckles
i broke down and just bought some US straighteners....they are supposed to be nice salon quality, so we'll see how they stack up next to the blessed ghds. thanks for your help, ladies!
Which ones did you go for? I do like my Chi's but there nowhere near as good as my beloved, may the rest in peace GHD's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.