Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using Amazon UK in US

Using Amazon UK in US

Old Dec 14th 2019, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using Amazon UK in US

Does anyone use their UK account to ship items to the US. I was wondering if it works out cheaper in regards to shipping over British books and TV shows etc. Is it like the UK where if you ship something from US over £18 you pay customs duty. Is there amount you have to pay and duty or taxes on? Is it usually one shipping cost or does it usually vary. Just wondering as some shows and books seem to be double or triple the price in the US amazon site. Anyone have any examples or experiences with this?
Old Dec 15th 2019, 12:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Amazon UK in US

Amazon charges any duties and taxes upfront if any are due, so no surprise bill on arrival, what you pay at time of order is what you pay. If Amazon does charge duty/taxes up front and over charges they also refund the difference, if they undercharge they don't charge you the difference however.

If any duties/taxes are collected it will be marked as import deposit at check out.

The US is pretty generous when it comes to the amount before duty is due, its currently $800 US$ so unless ordering a large amount of stuff at once, your not likely to pay any duty.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...-increases-800

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
Does anyone use their UK account to ship items to the US. I was wondering if it works out cheaper in regards to shipping over British books and TV shows etc. Is it like the UK where if you ship something from US over £18 you pay customs duty. Is there amount you have to pay and duty or taxes on? Is it usually one shipping cost or does it usually vary. Just wondering as some shows and books seem to be double or triple the price in the US amazon site. Anyone have any examples or experiences with this?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 15th 2019 at 12:51 am.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just use Amazon.com and pay in dollars on a transaction free card.... They tend to offer a very good exchange rate often better than the going rate a the time

I doubt the few items that are more expensive on the USA site will be any cheaper by the time shipping is paid for.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat096; Dec 15th 2019 at 8:03 am.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Just use Amazon.com and pay in dollars on a transaction free card.... They tend to offer a very good exchange rate often better than the going rate a the time

I doubt the few items that are more expensive on the USA site will be any cheaper by the time shipping is paid for.
It’s more for the fact that some authors I collect aren’t available on amazon.com except kindle version. I don’t used a kindle I like old fashioned books lol. Also a lot of British shows on dvd are not on amazon.com either.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 8:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

It’s more for the fact that some authors I collect aren’t available on amazon.com except kindle version. I don’t used a kindle I like old fashioned books lol. Also a lot of British shows on dvd are not on amazon.com either.
dvds are dead technology just stream for free obtain a digital version. It could well be that the UK dvds are the wrong region which is a separate issue
Old Dec 15th 2019, 1:20 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I can fully understand that. I have a seemingly constant flow of books from www.thebookdepository.co.uk. (Use the .uk domain, select currency). As you say, many books are published in the UK first or just not available directly here. Always free shipping. And yes, they are owned by Amazon. I have a couple of books to go under the tree this year that are not published in the US until somewhat later and US Amazon only offers the later, US-published option.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 8:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I have ordered DVDs from amazon UK. Once they take VAT off the price it quite often almost covers the postage cost. Usually takes about 14 days for delivery, and not had any problems with duty or delayed packages. Currently waiting for PetFace dog toys to arrive. They are one of the few toys my dog doesn't chew up, and you can't buy them in the US. Amazon postage worked out at £1 per item.
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
dvds are dead technology just stream for free obtain a digital version. It could well be that the UK dvds are the wrong region which is a separate issue
I don't think there are legal 'streaming' copies of older British TV shows available. Personally, I buy DVDs (and Blurays) of many shows and the first thing I do is 'rip' them and stick the DVD in a box, never to be seen again ... unless I ever want to re-rip (which I've done when media formats have changed / improved). Eg, I used to rip DVDs to MPEG / VOB format, preserving the original structure (menus, etc). But later I switched to ripping to simple mkv file format so I can more easily play with Plex, etc. Over time, compression algorithms get better and having the original available isn't a bad thing.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:44 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes bookdepository.com is cheaper than Amazon UK (which is kind of odd as bookdepository was bought by Amazon).

I've also used Fishpond.com
Old Dec 25th 2019, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Sometimes bookdepository.com is cheaper than Amazon UK (which is kind of odd as bookdepository was bought by Amazon).

I've also used Fishpond.com
Are the items on fishpond.com brand new?
Old Jun 21st 2020, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Any other sites that do British DVDs that ship to the USA for free?