Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Useless bunch USPS, ..............

Useless bunch USPS, ..............

Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Useless bunch USPS, ..............

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My local post office is great, never much of a wait and very helpful, friendly staff much better than any I used in the UK. It is also within walking distance from my house.
Do you flash 'em your......

...... smile!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
Did u reply "OK"?
chortle chortle
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:45 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always21
I was once asked at the post office if the UK was the Ukraine. I always write "United Kingdom" now. A couple of times I've been asked if that is the same as Great Britain, but most of them seem to know.

Think United kingdom is definitely the way to go from now on...

to be honest, I could forgive them the UK/GB question - I bet a good percentage of UK/GB residents would have to think about it too!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop
You are lucky it didn't end up in UKraine

Would that be Ukraine or The Ukraine....

Ducks and runs for cover......
Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

When my wife was living in England she needed something from her bank here so they sent it out. For some reason they didn't put the country on it so, I guess just for a laugh, USPS sent it to Canada who in turn sent it back and then USPS sent it to Canada again. Weeks later it somehow ended up at the branch who happen to know my wifes family and that she was in England and they helpfully popped it in a new envelope with the right address on. You've never seen a letter with so mush stuff and stickers on it.

Recently it took them 12 business days to deliver a DVD from Lexington, KY to Cleveland, OH. I could have sent it to England in back in less time! I guess their website estimate of 3 days was a little off.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:40 pm
MaƱo-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
When my wife was living in England she needed something from her bank here so they sent it out. For some reason they didn't put the country on it so, I guess just for a laugh, USPS sent it to Canada who in turn sent it back and then USPS sent it to Canada again. Weeks later it somehow ended up at the branch who happen to know my wifes family and that she was in England and they helpfully popped it in a new envelope with the right address on. You've never seen a letter with so mush stuff and stickers on it.

Recently it took them 12 business days to deliver a DVD from Lexington, KY to Cleveland, OH. I could have sent it to England in back in less time! I guess their website estimate of 3 days was a little off.
Kinda like the time I sent a card to my wife in Spain- clearly addressed123 Such and such St, Some City, Postal code XYZ123; Spain (EspaƱa). She never got it, and I started to wonder if perhaps the hotel from which I had mailed it never put it in their outgoing mail. 2 months later, it came back to me- with a note on the envelope in Spanish saying that Such and such City nor said postal code does not exist in Mexico. Typical... I think hald the people here think Spain is somewhere in South America, near Brazil perhaps.

Other than that one time, I have nothing but praise for the USPS. They manage the biggest fleet of trucks and planes in the world, handle billions of letters and parcels every year a,d my stuff always gets where it's going in just a few days...all for 40 cents or so. Most employees are quite friendly and helpfull also. Maybe USCIS or ICE or BCIS or INS or whoever they are now could be as efficient as the USPS some day.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:42 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Walking distance .5 mile.
Reg. Frank R.

Why didn't you walk and do it yourself?

I posted a letter to Eire which they crossed out and put Ireland Other than that they have been excellent.

Isn't it the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

I like GB. UK sounds so euro we were and still are Great
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Do you flash 'em your......
...... smile!
I always do......a quick flash works everytime.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney

I posted a letter to Eire which they crossed out and put Ireland Other than that they have been excellent.

It needed to be certified, not hand delivered. The really funny part is, that later on the same day that I mailed it, I was actually in the building where it was address to. LIFE.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Kinda like the time I sent a card to my wife in Spain- clearly addressed123 Such and such St, Some City, Postal code XYZ123; Spain (EspaƱa). She never got it, and I started to wonder if perhaps the hotel from which I had mailed it never put it in their outgoing mail. 2 months later, it came back to me- with a note on the envelope in Spanish saying that Such and such City nor said postal code does not exist in Mexico. Typical... I think hald the people here think Spain is somewhere in South America, near Brazil perhaps.

Other than that one time, I have nothing but praise for the USPS. They manage the biggest fleet of trucks and planes in the world, handle billions of letters and parcels every year a,d my stuff always gets where it's going in just a few days...all for 40 cents or so. Most employees are quite friendly and helpfull also. Maybe USCIS or ICE or BCIS or INS or whoever they are now could be as efficient as the USPS some day.

My elderley aunt sent my birthday card from the UK with only my name, zip and USA on the envelope. It reached me within a few days......how's that for service.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

On the better side of USPS, my 90 yr young mother, sends us cards & letters from UK, sometimes the wrong address: No zip code, Zip code no USA, Zip correct wrong street number, wrong stamps, they always get here. Infact, we have received regular mail from her in 3 days. Did get one, that bounced back to UK & back to NYC.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:17 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney

You don't say if you were posting it to northern Ireland or Ireland. http://www.ibiblio.org/gaelic/Eire/7.2.html to answer your question. (I think!)
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by frrussre
On the better side of USPS, my 90 yr young mother, sends us cards & letters from UK, sometimes the wrong address: No zip code, Zip code no USA, Zip correct wrong street number, wrong stamps, they always get here. Infact, we have received regular mail from her in 3 days. Did get one, that bounced back to UK & back to NYC.
Reg. Frank R.
Yes the UK/USA/UK service is excellent usually only takes 3 days. ie posted Monday received Wednesday/Thurs. Now Toronto, Canada that's a different story, allow 2 to 3 weeks.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes the UK/USA/UK service is excellent usually only takes 3 days. ie posted Monday received Wednesday/Thurs. Now Toronto, Canada that's a different story, allow 2 to 3 weeks.
My best mailing times are England (south), have recently sent 3 letters to Leicester, they seem to take a week or more. Worst in NY are, same Zip or local. ODD that.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:51 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I remember reading an article that explained the best way to address your mail to ensure the fastest and most accurate delivery by USPS. This is how you would do it:

John Smith
1234 Main St
CHICAGO IL 45678

Use abbreviations, avoid unnecessary punctuation, put the city name in all caps, and put the ZIP code right after the city and state.

You can read more about it here: UPSP - Addressing Tips & Tools

When Mark and I were still carrying on a long-distance relationship, neither one of us was aware of the "proper" way to address mail to each other. Mark finally explained to me that addressing British mail is different from the American style. So now when I send things to his family in England, I write it like so:

John Smith
1234 Main Street
BISHOP'S STORTFORD
HERTS
AB12 3CD
UNITED KINGDOM

All the USPS needs to be concerned with is the "United Kingdom" part -- once it's over there, Royal Mail will figure out what to do.

I always write out "United Kingdom" and never "UK" or "England" (although I could probably write "England" and it would get there ok).

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.