Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Used vs new car

Used vs new car

Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used vs new car

Originally Posted by TransnationalElite
Would there be any price advantage in buying from New Hampshire as opposed to buying in Massachusetts? Either old or new? Would be living in MA.
No. If you buy in a tax free state, it's got to be kept in that state for 12 months or you'd pay the sales tax in MA when you register the car.

Also don't forget in MA, there's a $25 per $1K value of car excise tax to the town you live in, annually. This includes lease cars.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Pickups tend to hold their value better than cars, but many are driven and used hard. They vary a good bit in size, from the tiny Toyota to the Ford F250/F350 and the Chevy and Dodge 2500/3500's. In betweem are things like the Chevy Colorado and the discontinued (in the US) Ford Ranger.
You've also got the rebadged jobbies like the GM Sierra, which is the same as a Chevy Silverado and also very nice, just has a different light array up front, one that makes it trickier to put in a set of moose lights if you needed them.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Also don't forget in MA, there's a $25 per $1K value of car excise tax to the town you live in, annually. This includes lease cars.
How do they calculate the value? That's a pretty steep tax! I think our state tax is $70ish a year and that's it.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

...and Toyotas are mostly for posers with a midlife crisis.
They're actually really comfy on the really hard off road and very reliable.

I'd go Silverado, just on more experience of it and Tundra a close second if you're in the woods a lot and you have a dealer in town.

Ford F-150 is great, but base package and they're not quite so great for the off road.

Dodge, don't even bother.

Though if you're only going to be driving around town and/or towing things, that changes what you're looking for in a truck.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

You must like all that cheap plastic, because I can't think why else anyone would take a Chevy over a Ford.
The reason being they're a million miles more comfy to drive when you're hauling a couple tonnes of gear and going over log roads and ditches and then all you need to do is get a hose out to wash the interior down.

Now if all you're doing is posing in town, then fair enough.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
How do they calculate the value? That's a pretty steep tax! I think our state tax is $70ish a year and that's it.
They use the mint condition KBB book value for the year, regardless of actual condition.

Minimum tax on the car is $100 a year, plus they don't re-access the value once you've bought it for about 4-5 years.

Our old '00 Saab, slightly battered and 150K at the end was still pulling in the same excise tax the day we bought it and we bought it in '06 and had it till last year.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

You must like all that cheap plastic, because I can't think why else anyone would take a Chevy over a Ford.
As one who has owned an F150 for over 12 years, with 117,000 miles on it, and before that a Chevy, I couldn't agree more.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic doesn't rust. Said as one who lives in a highly-salted State.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The reason being they're a million miles more comfy to drive when you're hauling a couple tonnes of gear and going over log roads and ditches and then all you need to do is get a hose out to wash the interior down. .....
I might be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that AndrewLohnes isn't a logging contractor in Maine.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Do you leave the windows of your car open at night so the road crews can salt the dash, console, and door trim?

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 16th 2014 at 1:25 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

I might be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that AndrewLohnes isn't a logging contractor in Maine.
I might be Chevy Silverados look a lot angrier/better on the outside that's why I like them. My dad owns a F150 that I'll be using next month for 3 weeks which may change my opinion, but I'm a Chevy guy. 1996 (mk3?) Chevy Silverado's were my favourite truck as a kid.

Last edited by andrewlohnes; Oct 16th 2014 at 1:33 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:35 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Do you leave the windows of your car open at night so the road crews can salt the dash, console, and door trim?

Only on the passenger side, where I don't need to leave anything open because the rubber seal has come off the door. Sadly, my current car is made largely of metal - and progressively more of oxidized metal. I try to think of it as extra ventilation so the engine doesn't overheat.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

True, but like I said, there's a reason so it all depends on what you're using it for...plus these day's, Silverado's have all that fancy gear inside, leather interior, heated and vented seats, etc, etc.

There's very little difference in most of the trucks from the last few years so it's all down to how the base models are set up and what you're intending to use them for.

Getting the thing dirty or taking it off road will be a lot different to someone that's looking to haul a caravan or a trailer of quad bikes about and the odd dump run.

All that said, Dodge are still crap.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
.... All that said, Dodge are still crap.
On that point there is no dispute!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The standard joke for the Toyota FJ55 aka the " Iron Pig " is that even the plastic rusts on them.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Stay clear of the Ram then? I'm still torn on what to buy when I move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.