Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Used vs new car

Used vs new car

Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used vs new car

Originally Posted by RICH
Are the 'rules' expressed here for cars the same for Pickup Trucks? I want a cheap but decent truck, never bought a vehicle in US, ....
Pickups tend to hold their value better than cars, but many are driven and used hard. They vary a good bit in size, from the tiny Toyota to the Ford F250/F350 and the Chevy and Dodge 2500/3500's. In betweem are things like the Chevy Colorado and the discontinued (in the US) Ford Ranger.

Your biggest challenge in find us used one is finding one that hasn't been beaten and thrashed.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Pickups tend to hold their value better than cars, but many are driven and used hard. They vary a good bit in size, from the tiny Toyota to the Ford F250/F350 and the Chevy and Dodge 2500/3500's. In betweem are things like the Chevy Colorado and the discontinued (in the US) Ford Ranger.

Your biggest challenge in find us used one is finding one that hasn't been beaten and thrashed.
Thanks. I had a glance at Tacomas (about the smallest, I think) at couple of places nearby. An Arthur Daley place had a knackered 2001 for 7/8k, the Nissan Dealer next door had pristine looking 2013's at about $18k, and Brand new not much more (different models probably). So is new really a good bet?

Is a bigger truck necessarily more expensive? I don't NEED big, but if it is generally better value....Actually I don't need a truck at all, but I want one
eta yeah I know Tacoma in not Nissan!

Last edited by RICH; Oct 15th 2014 at 1:52 am.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:25 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Pickups tend to hold their value better than cars,
An English mate here has just sold a 3.5 year old F150 Raptor back to the dealer in part exchange for a new Raptor. He drove the new one off the lot for the keys to his truck plus 8 grand. I reckon that was a pretty good deal - 8k depreciation on a 50k(?) truck in 3.5 years - a lot better than KBB tells me I've done on my Platinum, although mine has been used a lot more for truck stuff (towing and hauling) than his was, and has almost twice the miles in about half the time
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:42 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
An English mate here has just sold a 3.5 year old F150 Raptor back to the dealer in part exchange for a new Raptor. He drove the new one off the lot for the keys to his truck plus 8 grand. I reckon that was a pretty good deal - 8k depreciation on a 50k(?) truck in 3.5 years - a lot better than KBB tells me I've done on my Platinum, although mine has been used a lot more for truck stuff (towing and hauling) than his was, and has almost twice the miles in about half the time
I guess I don't understand the logic. If you have a pretty decent vehicle, why get a new one? I suppose the same reasoning as getting the latest iThing.

I would argue that you have got better value out of yours.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:57 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I don't understand the logic. If you have a pretty decent vehicle, why get a new one? I suppose the same reasoning as getting the latest iThing.

I would argue that you have got better value out of yours.
They are stopping making the Raptor apparently, he fancied a newer one before they were all gone, and got offered a good deal....I think in his situation, I'd have taken it too. Not sure the logic of saying I got a better deal....mine has lost about 15k in 2 years, his lost 8k in 3.5 years. I actually bought mine to use it's abilities...a lot of my miles have been towing our travel trailer, which was the prime motivation for buying a truck. His prime motivation was, erm, midlife crisis he got the go everywhere off road package, but the closest it has been to off-road is when he misses the driveway reversing out for his morning commute
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:06 am

Thanks. I had a glance at Tacomas (about the smallest, I think) at couple of places nearby. An Arthur Daley place had a knackered 2001 for 7/8k, the Nissan Dealer next door had pristine looking 2013's at about $18k, and Brand new not much more (different models probably). So is new really a good bet?

Is a bigger truck necessarily more expensive? I don't NEED big, but if it is generally better value....Actually I don't need a truck at all, but I want one
I know a couple of guys with Tacomas, and I like them, especially some of the higher spec models, but I looked at the pricing a while ago and they were very close to Tundra price, so I would have gone with the Tundra instead. I seriously considered the Tundra when I bought my f150, but the ford beat it hands down at towing.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:11 am
BE Irregular

They are stopping making the Raptor apparently, he fancied a newer one before they were all gone, and got offered a good deal....I think in his situation, I'd have taken it too. Not sure the logic of saying I got a better deal....mine has lost about 15k in 2 years, his lost 8k in 3.5 years. I actually bought mine to use it's abilities...a lot of my miles have been towing our travel trailer, which was the prime motivation for buying a truck. His prime motivation was, erm, midlife crisis he got the go everywhere off road package, but the closest it has been to off-road is when he misses the driveway reversing out for his morning commute
I meant you have got more value out of it, whereas he had more value left in it. Unfortunately your description of him, sounds a bit like me.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:18 am

I meant you have got more value out of it, whereas he had more value left in it. Unfortunately your description of him, sounds a bit like me.
Ah, ok with you now.
Have to say, while there are a lot of trucks obviously used as they were meant to be, there are a helluvalot that probably never carry anything bigger than the weeks groceries
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:30 am
BE Irregular

I know a couple of guys with Tacomas, and I like them, especially some of the higher spec models, but I looked at the pricing a while ago and they were very close to Tundra price, so I would have gone with the Tundra instead. I seriously considered the Tundra when I bought my f150, but the ford beat it hands down at towing.
Great, so my basic question should be - why not an f150?. Obviously popular, are they especially expensive/unreliable/uncomfortable...

FWIW I've only ever owned 4 cars in 30 years, 2 fords and 2 nissans, all been great.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Chevy Silverado is obviously the way to go. Chevrolet > GMC > Ford.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Great, so my basic question should be - why not an f150?. Obviously popular, are they especially expensive/unreliable/uncomfortable. ....
None of the above. The F series Fords are the biggest selling truck brand, and for several good reasons. They are solid and reliable, and easy to service and repair. If you look around you on the road you will notice that most tradesmen drive either a Ford or a Chevy. Dodges are notoriously unreliable, and Toyotas are mostly for posers with a midlife crisis.

Arguably buying any truck, if you are not a tradesman, is a fashion statement, but if you buy a Ford you'll be "a guy with a truck", if you buy a Toyota you'll be "a tw@t with a truck".

Mrs P's uncle once asked me how I liked my truck and if I carried much stuff in it. He worked (until he retired) for the council in road maintenance and goes hunting, so knowing that I work in an office I figured he was yanking my chain. So I started listing the stuff I'd used it for: furniture, timber, doors, mulch, gravel, mowing equipment, logs, branches, concrete blocks, tools, etc. Then I asked him what he had used his new truck for? He replied "Nothing much really".

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 15th 2014 at 10:22 am.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:43 pm

Great, so my basic question should be - why not an f150?. Obviously popular, are they especially expensive/unreliable/uncomfortable...

FWIW I've only ever owned 4 cars in 30 years, 2 fords and 2 nissans, all been great.
My answer would be absolutely no reason - I have one, and I love it! It is a great package all round. Very quiet, very comfortable, very economical on the gas (for a truck).

I went for the ecoboost engine because of its towing ability first and fuel economy second, and have had no regrets on either score - at the time I bought, it knocked the competition into the proverbial cocked hat on that (the Dodge Ram may give it a run for its money now). Truck "purists" have been known to laugh at mine because of its diddy little toy engine, but hey, I can live with a few sniggers as I'm towing my 7500lb trailer at 65-70 and getting 12-13mpg out of it. And if I was still in High School, I reckon I could beat any of them off the line every time with the trailer on the back. The twin turbos kick in so low that it really does pull as if there's (virtually) nothing back there.

I went with the Platinum because I fancied a bit of comfort along with the utility...its got nice leather, all the electronic gizmos etc, but the 2 things I really like are the retractable running boards which come to a more natural step height when they are out, and the "old man" step in the tailgate - both of which are a godsend for my arthritic knees. And the wheels are really pretty

Like Pulaski, its been used as a truck, though probably not quite as much as his. Its hauled the travel trailer, Scout trailers, camping gear, countless cords of wood, mulch, garden supplies, furniture, washing machines, BBQ grills, and a full blown playset. I briefly considered getting an Expedition instead, but am glad I didn't.

I've got 50k miles on it now, with a little over 1/4 of those towing, the rest running the kids around town which still gets 18-19mpg. To be fair, it got off to a sticky start reliability wise - the first time it rained (about 4k miles) water got into the electrics controlling the turbos and I lost them. Unfortunately I had the trailer on the back, and had to limp home just on the normally aspirated 3.5l - fortunately we were right at the end of a long road trip, and only 5 miles from home. Second, more worrying problem was it needed a new driveshaft at 10k miles. At that point I was wondering what sort of Friday afternoon truck I'd saddled myself with, but its got 40k on the new shaft, and no recurrence of that problem or any other, so hopefully the kinks have been worked out.

At the time I bought, the only real alternatives I considered were the Ram and the Tundra, but once I compared them towing wise, the Tundra was off the list, and having just come from a poor experience with a Durango, the Ram wasn't far behind it. I wouldn't touch a Silverado with a barge pole (sorry andrewholmes, each to their own, but rest easy in the thought that Bob and his FiL agree with you). My view on them is probably biased by a bad first impression - when we arrived back in the 2002 the realtor took me in his and I felt like I was in a rowing boat in a force 10 gale!
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Chevy Silverado is obviously the way to go. Chevrolet > GMC > Ford.
You must like all that cheap plastic, because I can't think why else anyone would take a Chevy over a Ford.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 15th 2014 at 1:15 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:51 pm

It must be all that cheap plastic, because I can't think why else anyone would take a Chevy over a Ford.
Ford aren't exactly the cutting edge of design style, but stepping into a Silverado or a Suburban transports me right back to the 70's... Suburbans are popular round here though.

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Oct 15th 2014 at 2:36 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Tacomas hold their value well. We got one last year, went new as used ones were only a few dollars cheaper. They come with 2 bed sizes and even the small bed is big enough if you don't need a truck for work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.