Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Used vs new car

Used vs new car

Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used vs new car

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Chevy Silverado's were my favourite truck as a kid.
Have you ever driven one though? You might be surprised when you get here if you haven't before.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Stay clear of the Ram then? I'm still torn on what to buy when I move.
That is about the only guarantee. They look the part, have a lovely engine, but they're terribly unreliable on pretty much everything else.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Have you ever driven one though? You might be surprised when you get here if you haven't before.
They drive really smooth on and off the road on the base model. Even nicer when fully loaded.

F-150 is lovely on the road but the base model isn't as smooth off road, though they've got a few options that help it out without going after market.

Dodge 1500/2500 both were horrid on and off road.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
..... F-150 is lovely on the road but the base model isn't as smooth off road, though they've got a few options that help it out without going after market. .....
If you don't need the off-road and bad weather capability go with a 2x4, and you get significantly improved gas mileage, independent front suspension for a much better ride and handling, and also at least 10ft off the turning circle. My F250 is a bit cumbersome in most parking lots, but I can't imagine trying to take a 4x4 F250 into the same places!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They look the part
Thats something i could never say about a truck. Its a cab and bed with big goofy wing mirrors. They are a practical but ugly shape and hate going around corners. It makes me laugh to see how people try and pimp them up around here. But each to their own.

I'd only ever get one if i needed to haul or tow frequently. If so I would definitely go with Ford. My neighbor has a F250 which he will drive for me if i need to haul something. Its some kind of special edition and it has a well appointed lovely quality interior really, thick leather on the seats.

For less money you can give me a responsive fun to drive sleek looking entry level sports sedan that i can wrap around the hills in Sedona any day.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Cost of new shocks me a bit these days. I haven't bought new in 7 years. I was at a GMC dealership a couple of weeks ago and took a look at the new 2015 GMC Yukon SUV. Interior quality and all the bells and whistles looked to be a huge improvement on previous vehicles, but for the top model (denali) it was $70k MSRP

Serioulsy $70k for a GM vehicle
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you don't need the off-road and bad weather capability go with a 2x4, and you get significantly improved gas mileage, independent front suspension for a much better ride and handling, and also at least 10ft off the turning circle. My F250 is a bit cumbersome in most parking lots, but I can't imagine trying to take a 4x4 F250 into the same places!
I don't think anyone out where FIL lives would admit to having a 2x4 or realising that they even came in one

F-150 was one of the best loaner cars I've had to drive and lugging some stuff around in an uncles, it's a corker of a motor especially when loaded up, much nicer than the pretty old, base F-150 and Ranger that I had to drop off for FIL as a couple of his works trucks a bit back.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Thats something i could never say about a truck. Its a cab and bed with big goofy wing mirrors. They are a practical but ugly shape and hate going around corners. It makes me laugh to see how people try and pimp them up around here. But each to their own.
Like this

Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:38 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just a random search, the link shows some that caught my eye. Anything about these that stands out, positive or negative to you experienced folks?

Link

Funnily today, I was chatting to a Tradesman (A/C mechanic, a Brit) he drives a 2009 Tacoma as his personal car! Then I chatted to a colleague who has a 2009 f150 Lariate. Turns out he was a ford truck salesman in the 80's and knows the manager at a local ford dealership.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by RICH
Just a random search, the link shows some that caught my eye. Anything about these that stands out, positive or negative to you experienced folks?
I've no real advice as I don't know the second hand market, though one thing I'd usually advise is avoid buying second hand from cars that come from states that don't have annual inspections such as FL and NJ.

That said, if these are only a couple years old, then it's probably not a concern and you're only looking out for the regular stuff, crash damage, as they're not likely to have rust issues.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Just a random search, the link shows some that caught my eye. Anything about these that stands out, positive or negative to you experienced folks? ....
I only see four, is that right?

I'd want to see them before making a choice. A look in the bed should be a good clue as to how hard they've been used. Look for dents and scrapes on the wheel arches. Ideally the bed should have a Line-X spray-in bed liner, or similar (maybe new Fords now come with a spray in liner?) The three Fords are very similarly priced, so it really is down to physical condition. If there is no other way to distinguish between them, if you're plannjng to do high mileage in it I'd take the lowest mileage one, whereas if you're not going to rack up many miles take one that's a little cheaper and has higher mileage. .... Honestly, in the absence of seeing them and taking them for a test drive, I don't see much difference between them.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

(maybe new Fords now come with a spray in liner?)
Mine's a 2012 and didn't come with a bedliner - it was available as a dealer fitted option, but I got it done after delivery at a Truk accessory place in town.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:20 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I only see four, is that right?

I'd want to see them before making a choice. A look in the bed should be a good clue as to how hard they've been used. Look for dents and scrapes on the wheel arches. Ideally the bed should have a Line-X spray-in bed liner, or similar (maybe new Fords now come with a spray in liner?) The three Fords are very similarly priced, so it really is down to physical condition. If there is no other way to distinguish between them, if you're plannjng to do high mileage in it I'd take the lowest mileage one, whereas if you're not going to rack up many miles take one that's a little cheaper and has higher mileage. .... Honestly, in the absence of seeing them and taking them for a test drive, I don't see much difference between them.
Good, thanks. I don't see much difference either, just not sure how to read between the lines, although there is not much to go on with these particular examples.

The 5th one was there last night! Anyway its not a shortlist or anything, just getting an idea what's out there. Cheers.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

Ordered my 2014 F-150 via IntlAuto.

5.0 Stx 4x4 with 6ft1/2inch bed. Looking forward to hauling and camping
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:55 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
Ordered my 2014 F-150 via IntlAuto.

5.0 Stx 4x4 with 6ft1/2inch bed. Looking forward to hauling and camping
Not bad but an 8 foot bed is full sized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.