used cars

Old Jun 18th 2016, 8:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: used cars

If you're buying from a private party, you might be able to get a decent deal. From a dealer, nope. Any dealer is going to stick about $2k straight on what he paid for a used car, then mark it up some more ahead of negotiating it back down with the customer. OTOH, if buying new, you should expect to knock $2k+ off the sticker price, quite likely more. I've bought four cars new in this country, and got all of them below the likely price of a 2-3 year old model. Yes, I may have been able to negotiate lower on the used, but I didn't feel like it. When buying new, I don't go to the dealer until I have my price fixed - usually by cold calling dealers until I get enough of what I want. Other advantages of buying new are loan rates that are often better, and an unused warranty. That's worth a bit of cash in of itself.
Old Jun 19th 2016, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
... From a dealer, nope. Any dealer is going to stick about $2k straight on what he paid for a used car, then mark it up some more ahead of negotiating it back down with the customer. OTOH, if buying new, you should expect to knock $2k+ off the sticker price, quite likely more. I've bought four cars new in this country, and got all of them below the likely price of a 2-3 year old model. Yes, I may have been able to negotiate lower on the used, but I didn't feel like it. When buying new, I don't go to the dealer until I have my price fixed - usually by cold calling dealers until I get enough of what I want. Other advantages of buying new are loan rates that are often better, and an unused warranty. That's worth a bit of cash in of itself.
I did something similar. I don't have the stomach for unreliable cars anymore, so I wanted a nearly new car that would be reliable for quite a few years. I looked at dealership-certified cars and was surprised (coming from the UK) that there was little difference in price between a new car and and a two or three year old car. I phoned all the manufacturer-affiliated dealerships in the area and played them off each other until I got a price down to what I was happy with. I ended up buying a new car for about $250 above factory invoice price with a 0% APR loan.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2009 I was lucky, I bought a 9 month Jeep with 9,000 miles for 15k under MSRP. I agree that it was a shock when I started shopping for a used car. I have looked at ex rental cars from Hertz and Thrifty they seem to be more fairly priced.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
..... I bought a 9 month Jeep .....
I've heard that, with care, a Jeep might last twelve months, or even longer!
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've heard that, with care, a Jeep might last twelve months, or even longer!
I did get a lifetime Chrysler warranty on it because of that.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I did get a lifetime Chrysler warranty on it because of that.
Your lifetime? .... Or the lifetime of the current incarnation of Chrslyer corporation?
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your lifetime? .... Or the lifetime of the current incarnation of Chrslyer corporation?
Which ever is the shorter. Its annoying because I don't want to get rid of it now. I can pass it onto my kids as long as I remain the owner and Chrysler stays in business. Jeeps are not great cars but its been reliable ish, and has reasonable safety ratings.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:32 pm

Which ever is the shorter. Its annoying because I don't want to get rid of it now. I can pass it onto my kids as long as I remain the owner and Chrysler stays in business. Jeeps are not great cars but its been reliable ish, and has reasonable safety ratings.
I saw a GC SRT 392 this morning. It looked very nice. ..... It wasn't moving at the time though, which is all too common for Jeeps.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that it was probably the lifetime of the vehicle ...
Old Jun 21st 2016, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by md95065
I thought that it was probably the lifetime of the vehicle ...
On the dealership screen it says 99 years.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

On the dealership screen it says 99 years.
Did it also say "Terms and conditions apply" somewhere in an unbelievably small font that looked as it it might have been designed to allow the 10 Commandments to be engraved on the head of a pin?
Old Jun 21st 2016, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by md95065
Did it also say "Terms and conditions apply" somewhere in an unbelievably small font that looked as it it might have been designed to allow the 10 Commandments to be engraved on the head of a pin?
Not so far, they repaired the roof without a problem. There is a $100 deductible. It appears to cover everything that you would expect from a manufacturer warranty.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
If you're buying from a private party, you might be able to get a decent deal.
My search for used car is very frustrating. Craigslist is a joke, ads labelled as private party are mostly dealers. The prices are far above the kelly blue book value.

About once a month a real private party puts an ad on Craigslist, but the car is gone within 15 minutes. The last time the car was gone, and then relisted 7 days later for $$$$ more.

I'll try Carvana...
Old Jun 21st 2016, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you try New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars for Sale and Reviews at Autotrader ?
Old Jun 21st 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
I did something similar. I don't have the stomach for unreliable cars anymore, so I wanted a nearly new car that would be reliable for quite a few years. I looked at dealership-certified cars and was surprised (coming from the UK) that there was little difference in price between a new car and and a two or three year old car. I phoned all the manufacturer-affiliated dealerships in the area and played them off each other until I got a price down to what I was happy with. I ended up buying a new car for about $250 above factory invoice price with a 0% APR loan.
"above factory invoice" you say? Are you aware that in the US there is such a thing as "factory hold back"? My point is it is hard to say what the dealers profit is. More like a shell game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.