used cars

Old Jun 17th 2016, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default used cars

im in Arizona and having a real hard time finding where I should be looking for used cars. Back home, I would just use autotrader or gumtree but here the decent cars (2-3 years old) seem to be with the dealers who I feel are trying to rip me off.

Any ideas pleass? Thanks!
Old Jun 17th 2016, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: used cars

Have you tried CarMax?
Old Jun 17th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vimto
Have you tried CarMax?
thanks for replying.
I checked carFax but will check carmax now
Old Jun 17th 2016, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't expect good used cars to be cheap.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 5:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The US is the opposite of the UK. In the UK new cars are expensive, and used cars remarkably cheap, in the US new cars are cheap, and used cars are remarkably expensive.

IME Anything less than $5,000 is likely to be utter junk that is fit only for the scrapyard. ..... Keeping such a vehicle on the road is going to need a continuous stream of repairs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 17th 2016 at 5:38 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Good cars hold their value so much that it is often better to buy new than one only a few years old. I bought my low-end model new but it was cheaper than a 3-year-old high-end version of the same model (and those didn't linger on the market for very long at all).
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Usually AAA can help with finding new cars, and they maybe able to help with used cars as well. Narrow down which cars are acceptable first, and then give them a call or email.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 3:16 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a car through carvana. An online company. If you know what you are looking for, they are very good and ended up with the best deal on the car I wanted.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 10:20 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Pulaski - I am in the market for a new truck and a new F150 is cheaper than a 3 year old one with all the rebates.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Agree with Pulaski - I am in the market for a new truck and a new F150 is cheaper than a 3 year old one with all the rebates.
That's undoubtedly true, but I still have no idea why?
Old Jun 18th 2016, 1:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's the rebates. $500 off here, $1000 off there. Total rebates on the truck I am looking at are $7800. Then add the fact that you pay no ad valorem tax on new cars in GA but you do on used and it soon adds up.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
It's the rebates. $500 off here, $1000 off there. Total rebates on the truck I am looking at are $7800. Then add the fact that you pay no ad valorem tax on new cars in GA but you do on used and it soon adds up.
OK, yeah, I can see all the numbers, ..... but why doesn't the market price of used vehicles fall to a "fair" amount less than the price of a new vehicle? The "market" for used vehicles is, from a pure economics view point, a good approximation to a fair market - lots of equivalent "units" for sale with lots of competing sellers and many buyers. Assuming the buyers are aware of the price of a new vehicle, the price of a used vehicle should be lower.

In the case of Ford truck some people may be wary of the aluminum bed that they now come with, but didn't until very recently. I certainly would be if I was looking to buy now.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 2:23 pm
Often not so civil...

The shortage of used cars stems from the deep plunge in new-car sales between 2008 and 2010, and the virtual disappearance of new-car leases during the financial crisis. As a result, three-year-old cars are now hard to find and even older models are holding their value.

Another factor is a change by the three Detroit U.S. auto makers. To keep factories humming, they once leased tens of thousands of new cars to rental car fleets and then moved them onto dealer lots as used models after a few months.

There are fewer of those vehicles because manufacturers cut excess production capacity in recent years. Cash-for-clunkers rebates also took many older vehicles off the road.

The scarcity pushed up used car prices, often to the point that consumers who finance a purchase with subsidized interest rates can get brand new vehicles for about the same as a monthly payment required for a late-model used car.

Look at my 2012 Fusion - I financed it when I had significantly newer credit then I do now. At the time I was willing to fork over a higher interest rate to get the car. Now I have been offered a clearly subsidized rate on a truck that is ALOT lower than what I am paying on a used car - through the same dealership! Now I realize that brings credit into it as a factor, but I do think it's part of the issue of keeping used car prices high.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 18th 2016 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

They pay you if your car fails the smog test, which should raise prices at the low end, in the UK you don't get anything if you fail the MOT. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I was easily able to sell my car which in the UK would have been scrapped for $700.
Old Jun 18th 2016, 8:38 pm
Often not so civil...

Georgia doesn't have a smog test - so that bins that theory, at least in GA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.