Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Used cars...

Wikiposts

Used cars...

Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:52 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used cars...

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
COUGH COUGH Bob I am more then happy with my Sebring Convertible
Thank you
Have you noticed that even when you press really hard on the brakes, the car doesn't stop?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Have you noticed that even when you press really hard on the brakes, the car doesn't stop?
Am I being my normal blonde self or is this a serious question! if it is nope, drives great to be honest I have a had a few cars I get bored every 6 months or so and change cars, the only other car I had that I really liked the drive in was my VW Jetta that was a great car.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:20 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Am I being my normal blonde self or is this a serious question! if it is nope, drives great to be honest I have a had a few cars I get bored every 6 months or so and change cars, the only other car I had that I really liked the drive in was my VW Jetta that was a great car.
Yes, I've driven several of the new and old sebrings and they stop just comparable to my vehicle.

This would be fine except my vehicle is a near-3 ton chevrolet avalanche.

I'm surprised you don't notice the difference between the sebring and the jetta....
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Yes, I've driven several of the new and old sebrings and they stop just comparable to my vehicle.

This would be fine except my vehicle is a near-3 ton chevrolet avalanche.

I'm surprised you don't notice the difference between the sebring and the jetta....
I like the drive of my Sebring but the Jetta felt more solid.
As for the breaks I love that they are so soft and easy compared with my last Car an SUV GMC Jimmy that was a bloody struggle.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikec81
Just looking for a bit of advice on buying a car over here. I was thinking of getting a car with credit, although we have decided to take our chances on a relatively old used car and pay for it outright.
We are looking to spend about $3000, and have found a few cars that seem to fit the bill, but just wondered whether anyone had any experience with these cars:
1994 Toyota 4runner - 150,000 miles
1996 Ford Explorer - 115,000 miles
1997 Chrysler Seabring - 107,000 miles
I know that the Toyotas and Hondas are more reliable, although the miles being quoted for the ones we can afford seem to be unbelievably high. We wanted something in the SUV catergory preferably, but the Sebring is a lot cheaper (probably for a good reason) and has fewer miles...
Any advice would be great
You're looking at dealers aren't you. You will always pay higher there then on the private market and the warrant is shite at a dealer on a used car. With the price of gas going up why buy a SUV with its horrid gas mileage. If you are a family of two you don't need an SUV.

I've always sold my cars privately. Two years ago sold my 2001 Elantra with only 30,000 miles on it for $4,000. Many people will sell privately rather than turning it in when buying a new vehicle. Get a copy of their maintenance record and have it checked out by a mechanic before buying.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:12 am
Mr. Grumpy

I like the drive of my Sebring but the Jetta felt more solid.
As for the breaks I love that they are so soft and easy compared with my last Car an SUV GMC Jimmy that was a bloody struggle.
There you go

'soft and easy' may be a positive attribute to some people but its not widely considered as one when it comes to car brakes!

It was funny, at the thrity rental place in LA me and a mate literally returned 4 sebring convertibles in the space of 2 hours because we genuinely thought the brakes were broken. On the 4th return the guy was like 'dude, this is just how they come'....

I think my wife likes the same style brakes too - she complains when I slam on the anchors and nearly goes through the windscreen - until i politely explain that if that didn;t happen she would have got an airbag in the face becusae of crashing into the twat in front who cut us up
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

COUGH COUGH Bob I am more then happy with my Sebring Convertible
Thank you
your a bird, it's okay...otherwise it's a hair dressers car for someone that couldn't afford a proper convertible
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:51 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
With the price of gas going up why buy a SUV with its horrid gas mileage. If you are a family of two you don't need an SUV.
Innit. Most likely you'll be driving a lot more than in the UK, too. Also, would more complex transmission = more things to go wrong?

You might find this thread on another website useful - bunch of American car people talking about which $1000 they would recommend: ""Hey, I got $1300 from a [tax refund / insurance settlement / dead relative / dope deal] and now I wanna get a car! Whaddya think I should get?""
http://jalopnik.com/cars/sentra/your...nds-272636.php
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

I have already abandoned the SUV idea. Checked out a website called fueleconomy.com and it gives you the cost of a 25 mile trip for any vehicle entered. 1994 Explorer was nearly $6 I think and the 1998 Civic was less than $2. I dont like the idea of paying an extra $8 a day on a 50 mile commute!
I have been in contact with a guy about a 2001 Civic going for just on $3,000 and I am hoping to arrange to buy that this weekend
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:36 am
Mr. Grumpy

I have already abandoned the SUV idea. Checked out a website called fueleconomy.com and it gives you the cost of a 25 mile trip for any vehicle entered. 1994 Explorer was nearly $6 I think and the 1998 Civic was less than $2. I dont like the idea of paying an extra $8 a day on a 50 mile commute!
I have been in contact with a guy about a 2001 Civic going for just on $3,000 and I am hoping to arrange to buy that this weekend
good choice.

and that sounds like a great deal if it checks out
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

I think it needs registering, so might have to spend some on that, and it needs to be smogged.
Going to have a mechanic give it a once over, because the not registered/smogged thing seems a bit strange to me.
The guy selling it is from Scotland, and heading back there is a few days so needs a quick sale. Im always a bit weary of a deal that seems too good to be true.....
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I've got a 94 VW Golf with only 40K genuine miles on it you can have for 3 grand. I'll even give you a kerbside guarantee.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Is that a serious offer? I have been here over 6 months now so I am starting to lose my ability to detect sarcasm or irony....
If its genuine, some pictures would be great
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a serious offer? I have been here over 6 months now so I am starting to lose my ability to detect sarcasm or irony....
If its genuine, some pictures would be great
problem is, it's in NY....bit of a drive, or a monster tow....
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

I knew there would be a catch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.