British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USD / GBP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usd-gbp-585691/)

notacrime Jan 20th 2009 9:49 am

USD / GBP

As of this post: 1.40118

and still falling :cry_smile:

All our savings are in £s, and we're moving back to California in August.

My wife and I had our GBP salaries set a year ago based on our USD salaries and an exchange rate of 1:2 at the time. :curse:

On the bright side at least we don't own a house, or any RBS shares! :lol:

notacrime Jan 20th 2009 10:04 am

Re: USD / GBP

I have to stop looking.

HoosierDaddy Jan 20th 2009 10:08 am

Originally Posted by notacrime (Post 7191115)

I have to stop looking.

$1.39 ? Jeez - might have to go home for a week if it keeps falling. Now, if Dunfermline can make it to the Scottish Cup Final (again) I might be able to persuade the wife to let me go. :thumbsup:

chartreuse Jan 20th 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by notacrime (Post 7191115)

I have to stop looking.

You do have to stop. It's not good for you. Not that that will stop me from looking and worrying :(

clarissageo Jan 20th 2009 11:20 am

I just did a transfer from HSBC to Fifth Third, and got 1.39...... ack

Mallory Jan 20th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by clarissageo (Post 7191386)
I just did a transfer from HSBC to Fifth Third, and got 1.39...... ack

Good deal, because it's now $1.38!

frrussre Jan 20th 2009 1:19 pm

I just did my morning check, WOE. Still can't see why its dropping so badly against the crap $ economy or the Euro.

Reg. Frank R.

Ray Jan 20th 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 7191757)
I just did my morning check, WOE. Still can't see why its dropping so badly against the crap $ economy or the Euro.

Reg. Frank R.

However, sterling continued to plunge today and Jim Rogers, who co-founded the Quantum fund with George Soros, the billionaire investor, told Bloomberg: “I would urge you to sell any sterling you might have. It’s finished. I hate to say it, but I would not put any money in the UK”.

frrussre Jan 20th 2009 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7191767)
However, sterling continued to plunge today and Jim Rogers, who co-founded the Quantum fund with George Soros, the billionaire investor, told Bloomberg: “I would urge you to sell any sterling you might have. It’s finished. I hate to say it, but I would not put any money in the UK”.

Soros & the £, now theres a combination. Um! deja Vu

Hows the weather up there Ray? Chilly down south.
Reg. Frank R.

notacrime Jan 20th 2009 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 7191757)

Reg. Frank R.

Maybe because Brown and Darling appear to be throwing good money after bad.

It really is amazing that USD is strong considering the economy there though, you are right. None of the financial 'wizards' know what to do with their money, so they're buying up USD t-bills. Shows you what kind of a mess the rest of the world economy is in!

Ray Jan 20th 2009 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 7191789)
Soros & the £, now theres a combination. Um! deja Vu

Hows the weather up there Ray? Chilly down south.
Reg. Frank R.

In the 50f ..but it is winter

Of course Soros has business with the Messiah
they are very close

notacrime Jan 20th 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7191767)

Oh ffs. ERM all over again.

YankeemovingAbroad Jan 20th 2009 1:35 pm

Is there a way I can vote for Gordon Brown? At this rate the dollar is going to be worth more than the pound. Go Gordon!!

cindyabs Jan 20th 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad (Post 7191819)
Is there a way I can vote for Gordon Brown? At this rate the dollar is going to be worth more than the pound. Go Gordon!!

I wouldn't go that far, ;)

However selfish it may sound, it hasn't hurt my feelings that those months when the dollar was tanking against the pound and it cost us more and more every month to send over the mortgage, it's been a bit easier on us lately.

YankeemovingAbroad Jan 20th 2009 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7191997)
I wouldn't go that far, ;)

However selfish it may sound, it hasn't hurt my feelings that those months when the dollar was tanking against the pound and it cost us more and more every month to send over the mortgage, it's been a bit easier on us lately.

I hope the exchange works to your advantage.