Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC marrying in the UK

USC marrying in the UK

Old May 9th 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future
Default USC marrying in the UK

My USC fiancée is coming to the UK for a two week visit in August and we are exploring the possibility of us getting married in the UK.
At the end of the two weeks I will take her to the airport and follow some days or weeks later depending on how quick I get things sorted in the UK.
So does anyone know what visa or documentation does my fiancée need?

Just to add, I am planning on moving to the USA rather than we both live in the UK.

Last edited by Stoutbanana; May 9th 2012 at 10:57 pm.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC marrying in the UK

Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
My USC fiancée is coming to the UK for a two week visit in August and we are exploring the possibility of us getting married in the UK.
At the end of the two weeks I will take her to the airport and follow some days or weeks later depending on how quick I get things sorted in the UK.
So does anyone know what visa or documentation does my fiancée need?

Just to add, I am planning on moving to the USA rather than we both live in the UK.
You are in for a little surprise. First she needs a finance visa to get married in the UK and then I believe two weeks residency after that.

After you get married, you won't be able to move to the US until your visa application is approved which is currently about 8-10 months. The approval of the visa requires things such as she must petition for you and provide proof of income to support you (or joint sponsor), you must provide police records, you must have a medical, you must provide proof of a legitimate marriage, and you must also attend an interview.

The following is the visa you will be applying for.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

Last edited by Michael; May 9th 2012 at 11:10 pm.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reply Michael... I did a bit more digging and found on the UKBA site the fee for the visa is £73 but no mention of residency. She will only be staying two weeks as part of her summer holiday.....a bit more digging I think!
Old May 9th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Michael... I did a bit more digging and found on the UKBA site the fee for the visa is £73 but no mention of residency. She will only be staying two weeks as part of her summer holiday.....a bit more digging I think!
The two weeks' residency isn't an immigration requirement but a general requirement for marriage in England and Wales. It was traditionally less in Scotland and may still be.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

I am a resident of Harrogate so would that qualify the two week rule or is it two weeks for both of us?
Old May 9th 2012, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I am a resident of Harrogate so would that qualify the two week rule or is it two weeks for both of us?
She has to qualify as well as you.
Old May 9th 2012, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Both of you, I think.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

She will be in the country for slightly longer than two weeks but we don't want to get married the day before she flies back to the USA!
I might give the BA an email and clarify it or the council.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

She will be in the country for slightly longer than two weeks but we don't want to get married the day before she flies back to the USA!
I might give the BA an email and clarify it or the council.
Your local county council website will tell you exactly what you need to get married.
Old May 10th 2012, 12:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems you're skipping over the part about you coming to the USA anytime soon after marriage. Please investigate this further as well, so you won't be disappointed that it takes longer than few days or weeks.

When you have questions relating to your immigration to the USA, please ask them over in the US Marriage Based immigration forum on this site, and we'll be happy to help you navigate it all.

Rene
Old May 10th 2012, 8:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I will take her to the airport and follow some days or weeks later depending on how quick I get things sorted in the UK.
This sounds like a great plan, as long as you understand that "some days or weeks later" will actually be about 8-10 months. Yes, it really does take that long. No, there is no way to speed up the process. Yes, you can visit during the process. No, you can't enter the US as a visitor and stay.

Ian
Old May 10th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

We are beginning to think it would be better if I apply for the CR-1 and she applies to sponsor me and we get married when I visit on the VWP and then leave before my 90 days are up.

I spoke to a border agent and he said I could fly out to a non US place (not Mexico or Canada) stay for at least a day and return and get another 90 days at POE if I wanted to and that would be a Caribbean island. I am unable to do that if I leave and return on a ship.

It also says on their website and phone blurb that they are not responsible for anything told us by border agents!
Old May 10th 2012, 11:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We are beginning to think it would be better if I apply for the CR-1 and she applies to sponsor me and we get married when I visit on the VWP and then leave before my 90 days are up.
This is doable. You are allowed to marry while on the VWP, and the I-130 petition can be submitted as soon as you have a copy of your marriage certificate.

I spoke to a border agent and he said I could fly out to a non US place (not Mexico or Canada) stay for at least a day and return and get another 90 days at POE if I wanted to and that would be a Caribbean island.
You'll need to go farther than the Caribbean. You must be beyond Canada, Mexico, and the adjacent islands. That said, two back-to-back VWP visits might (or might not) get you sent home.

Ian
Old May 10th 2012, 12:07 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

You can marry on the VWP, but you must not intend to stay in the country. If you leave and then re-enter a couple of days later, they may ask a lot of questions as to your intent to leave the country again.
When you re-enter on the VWP, you once again must not have the intent to stay longer than 90 days.
Old May 10th 2012, 1:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I did just that! I had to re-establish residency in order to get married in the UK so my elderly parents could be there, that used up my vacation time, so we then got married and flew right back to the States.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.