Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC Interveiw/Oath Ceremony

USC Interveiw/Oath Ceremony

Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default USC Interveiw/Oath Ceremony

Today my daughter became a USC. My husband and I were allowed in the Federal Bldg in Newark to wait with her. Here interview time was 2.06 but she wasn't called until 4.00.

The interviewer quickly ran through the questions and answers on the N400 and asked her to confirm the answers were correct. He then asked what subjects she was majoring in...she said Political Science and American Studies. With that he replied 'well you'll know all the answers to the questions, so there's no point going through them'. He didn't ask to see her passport, proof of residency, or anything...apart from her GC. She had to sign the N400 and both photos and that was it...the interview took about 5 minutes.

The oath ceremony was about 45 mins later...it was carried out in the waiting room and we were allowed to witness the event.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:19 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC Interveiw/Oath Ceremony

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Today my daughter became a USC. My husband and I were allowed in the Federal Bldg in Newark to wait with her. Here interview time was 2.06 but she wasn't called until 4.00.

The interviewer quickly ran through the questions and answers on the N400 and asked her to confirm the answers were correct. He then asked what subjects she was majoring in...she said Political Science and American Studies. With that he replied 'well you'll know all the answers to the questions, so there's no point going through them'. He didn't ask to see her passport, proof of residency, or anything...apart from her GC. She had to sign the N400 and both photos and that was it...the interview took about 5 minutes.

The oath ceremony was about 45 mins later...it was carried out in the waiting room and we were allowed to witness the event.
Congratulations to your daughter. It would be more than a little unusual if family members weren't allowed to be present at the oath ceremony, wouldn't it?

How was your daughter tested on Civics? Just verbally?

NC Penguin
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Congratulations to your daughter. It would be more than a little unusual if family members weren't allowed to be present at the oath ceremony, wouldn't it?

How was your daughter tested on Civics? Just verbally?

NC Penguin
Thank you. She wasn't asked any questions...he said as she was majoring in American Studies she would know all the answers!!

I only mentioned that we were present for the oath ceremony because I remember reading that a BE member wasn't allowed to be present when his wife or child became a USC.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 7th 2006 at 1:29 am.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:27 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Today my daughter became a USC
Excellent. <tented fingers>
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. She wasn't asked any questions...he said as she was majoring in American Studies she would know all the answers!!
I got asked the pre-printed list du jour. Verbally. Had to be among the easier questions they could have asked. Other than that, it was mostly just walking through the form with me. They had a little fun examining my big stack of expired visas, and comparing dates. They were also very interested in my recent traffic ticket - good thing I got the 'case closed' docs from the court yesterday. As soon as I realized that a one-stop shopping trip was not on the cards, I gave them a copy of my IRS letter stating that I won my recent tax dispute with them,* just in case USCIS manages to hear only half the story between now and oath ceremony.

* Lesson learned: Just because you got a 1098 three years ago doesn't mean that IRS ever heard about it. Nothing like getting a letter that says, "Pay us $2,600 in three weeks' time, or else!" Keep your records for at least three years!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I got asked the pre-printed list du jour. Verbally. Had to be among the easier questions they could have asked. Other than that, it was mostly just walking through the form with me. They had a little fun examining my big stack of expired visas, and comparing dates. They were also very interested in my recent traffic ticket - good thing I got the 'case closed' docs from the court yesterday. As soon as I realized that a one-stop shopping trip was not on the cards, I gave them a copy of my IRS letter stating that I won my recent tax dispute with them,* just in case USCIS manages to hear only half the story between now and oath ceremony.

* Lesson learned: Just because you got a 1098 three years ago doesn't mean that IRS ever heard about it. Nothing like getting a letter that says, "Pay us $2,600 in three weeks' time, or else!" Keep your records for at least three years!
My daughter had a speeding ticket last year...she was doing 81 in a 55 mph speed limit on the NY State Freeway. We didn't put details of it on the N400...it wasn't mentioned at the interview.

One thing I learned today...if you become a naturalised USC and have a child under 18...you can apply for a US passport for them and a USC certificate...without applying for naturalisation.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats to your daughter
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:01 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Have you already become citizens or are you not interested?
glad that everything went smoothly for your daughter.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Have you already become citizens or are you not interested?
glad that everything went smoothly for your daughter.

We sent our applications in at the same time...3 mths ago. 2 weeks later we all had our Bio's taken...2 weeks after that she received her interview appointment. We are still waiting for our interview date...there's no hurry...we are just very happy that her citizenship as been secured.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:11 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

We sent our applications in at the same time...3 mths ago. 2 weeks later we all had our Bio's taken...2 weeks after that she received her interview appointment. We are still waiting for our interview date...there's no hurry...we are just very happy that her citizenship as been secured.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:42 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Congrats to your daughter! I took my citizenship in Tallahassee, Florida. The interviewer (a Cuban attorney), asked me the required questions, and also to read some English sentences out of a sort of children's book. He could barely speak English, and it was difficult for me to understand him. So ironic to be tested in my "grasp of English" by someone who barely had any grasp.

They had a nice "do" for us all in a main room of the building, hosted by the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). Of all the people there that day, maybe 30, there were 2 British and 1 Canadian. Long time ago tho.

In the paper the other day, there was an article about upgrading the questions, and gave some sample questions.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005679622
Old Dec 7th 2006, 2:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mallory
Congrats to your daughter! I took my citizenship in Tallahassee, Florida. The interviewer (a Cuban attorney), asked me the required questions, and also to read some English sentences out of a sort of children's book. He could barely speak English, and it was difficult for me to understand him. So ironic to be tested in my "grasp of English" by someone who barely had any grasp.

They had a nice "do" for us all in a main room of the building, hosted by the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). Of all the people there that day, maybe 30, there were 2 British and 1 Canadian. Long time ago tho.

In the paper the other day, there was an article about upgrading the questions, and gave some sample questions.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005679622

Forgot to mention...the interviewer told my daughter that he'd interviewed a woman today who moved here 50 yrs ago...when she was 6 and still couldn't speak a word of English!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Mega congratulations to your daughter & the proud parents.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:25 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your daughter. It must have been lovely to witness the oath ceremony. Did you get emotional? If we're lucky enough to be at our daughter's oath ceremony, I'm sure I will be blubbing.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:33 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

You sound very happy for her.. congrats to your daughter..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.