Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC Child travelling abroad needs consent?

USC Child travelling abroad needs consent?

Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:42 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default USC Child travelling abroad needs consent?

My neice, a 13YO USC, both of whose parents are also (natural-born) USCs, is going to Europe with her mother in a couple of weeks. I have heard it said that the mother either must have, or would be wise to obtain, a consent form from the non-travelling father to take the girl out of the country.

Parents are third-gen Americans, no family abroad, and the trip is just tourism, if that makes a difference to wisdom or otherwise of seeking consent.

Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC Child travelling abroad needs consent?

Originally Posted by nettlebed
My neice, a 13YO USC, both of whose parents are also (natural-born) USCs, is going to Europe with her mother in a couple of weeks. I have heard it said that the mother either must have, or would be wise to obtain, a consent form from the non-travelling father to take the girl out of the country.

Parents are third-gen Americans, no family abroad, and the trip is just tourism, if that makes a difference to wisdom or otherwise of seeking consent.

Thanks
Well, you could call the airline to see what the regulations are - however I think it is only Mexico which is really strict on having permission from the non-travelling parent.

My friend is divorced with two children aged 7 and 3. One child is an Aussie on a green card and the other was born in the US (dual national but has no Aussie passport yet).

Their grandmother flew in from Australia a couple of weeks ago, stayed for a few days and the children flew with her to Sydney (checked in at Newark and changed planes in Los Angeles). She's done this on a few occasions and no-one in the US at check-in has ever questioned why she is taking them out of the country without their parents.

Also my friend has taken a few trips to Oz with the children on her own, and the older one to Italy last Spring...she's never had a problem.

I think your niece will be fine - but if you're still unsure, call the airline. There are no US immigration checks on leaving the States, it's just the airline staff whom do passport validity checks.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I believe, though I could be wrong that she would be ok. It would only be if say, I, a (UKC) was to take my kids (dual citizens) to Europe or wherever without my (USC) husband, that I would need his written permission.

Annette
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:14 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

It's a wise idea to have written permission and a contact phone number just in case issues arise. There is a heightened sensitivity to parental kidnapping (one parent taking the kids out of reach of the other parent) and if there are any unusual circumstances or matches on an alert list.....

A divorced parent, or grandparent, would do well to get written consent if only so that a parent couldn't later say that s/he was never informed of the trip and wanted to pursue attempted kidnap charges.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:53 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed

Thanks
Last year my friend told me the same thing so I had my husband draw up a letter and take it to a notary public to be stamped and signed by them, that way there would be no question. No-one asked to see it when I took my son to Britain for a month, not a single sole! But still I felt more secure knowing that I could produce it if needed. So, my advise would be to get one just in case, it can't hurt but the last thing that they want to do is get to the airport and not be able to fly because thay don't have it.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

It applies to any child (USC or not) travelling without both parents- I believe its an international agreement - although US Customs appear to be more vigilant in requiring to see the documentation than others. You should carry a letter of consent,