Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC Child passport renewal

USC Child passport renewal

Old Jul 22nd 2020, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC Child passport renewal

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, HMPO have been clear about delays due to Covid, as BiP said above (and he's a man that knows) they're not going to be sitting on it for no reason. Seems they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't - if passports were given without any background checks then many other people would complain about that, so they can't win.

All I know is that Ukraine is a bloody nightmare to get anything from, getting any kind of background check done would take ages. So I wouldn't assume the delay is on the UK side personally.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 12:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree about Ukraine - last year I worked with a large group of Ukrainians.
Also, just fyi, in the USA I have only just received notification that my son's US passport has been approved. Application sent in on Feb 27th, so that's 5 months on a very straight forward passport.
OP, I realise you're anxious but sounding off on here isn't going to get the passport any quicker and a lot of people are in the same boat wrt delays due to covid etc.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Frank22 is an unknown quantity at this point

They’ve now asked for my wife’s Ukrainian birth certificate! How exactly does my wife’s birth certificate confirm or deny my daughters ID or her eligibility for a British passport?
Old Jul 28th 2020, 3:42 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
just a heads up that my son's passport application submitted February 28th is still not processed. Apparently they are working through the backlog from date of receipt and since his was submitted a few weeks before everything closed down, I had hoped for some progress by now. I would definitely advise getting any passport applications in as soon as you can!
Did you get the passport back yet, I just got an email from state.gov to say it was approved and the passport book and card should arrive around August 2nd, which would be less than 1 month from the email confirming it was received. Seems wrong based on your post, will report back next week if it arrives.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 4:07 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht View Post
Did you get the passport back yet, I just got an email from state.gov to say it was approved and the passport book and card should arrive around August 2nd, which would be less than 1 month from the email confirming it was received. Seems wrong based on your post, will report back next week if it arrives.
yes, got it back last week.
It arrived 2 days after the email saying it had been sent out.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 4:16 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like they cleared the backlog then! Not sure we will get much use for it in the next 6-9 months... but I still feel better having at least 1 valid passport for everyone in case things get really bad and we have to go to NZ or somewhere to wait it out... although it seems like their managed quarantine is filing up....

Last edited by tht; Jul 28th 2020 at 4:18 am.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:43 pm
tht

The new passport book came today. I know the passport card and birth certificate are meant to arrive in separate envelopes, did you also receive back the old passports in the US?
Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:51 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by tht View Post
The new passport book came today. I know the passport card and birth certificate are meant to arrive in separate envelopes, did you also receive back the old passports in the US?
this was the first US Passport so not applicable here.
The naturalization certificate arrived 3 days after the passport
Old Jul 30th 2020, 5:02 pm
tht

at least your kids are older, with the 5 years for under 16 I think I will be out $1000 every 10 years on passports for the 4 if us once I get the kids their other 2.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 5:04 pm
Austin. TX.

It's expensive isn't it!
For us, somehow it worked out that we replaced a UK passport every year. I'd like to say it was careful planning on my part but......
The older ones will now be paying for their own!
Old Jul 30th 2020, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frank22 View Post
They’ve now asked for my wife’s Ukrainian birth certificate! How exactly does my wife’s birth certificate confirm or deny my daughters ID or her eligibility for a British passport?

Why do you keep posting in a thread which quite clearly says "USC Child passport renewal" when you are talking about a UK passport?

.... and if the authorities want your wife's Ukranian passport just provide it; continuously asking questions as to your application won't speed it up
Old Jul 30th 2020, 7:37 pm
tht

It's expensive isn't it!
For us, somehow it worked out that we replaced a UK passport every year. I'd like to say it was careful planning on my part but......
The older ones will now be paying for their own!
I was thinking to go the other way and bunch them all up so they have the same expire date since we bother have to be there when both kids renew anyway... so I would loose a few years on some... I assume the US won’t add the extra time like the UK did.... caused me an issue with ESTA which was hard coded for a maximum of 10 year validity... they had to update the system to allow it, and surprisingly it only took them a few days after I emailed.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 5:28 pm
tht

so to round out the thread. I got 2 additional envelopes today (2 days after the new passport) . The passport had come from AZ, one was the passport card. The other was the old passport with 2 holes punched though the cover and picture page, old passport card with the corner cut off and the spare “original” birth certificate, annoyingly folded not once but twice... I hope they did not do that the naturalization certificate... so I am glad I did not send the original “original” one.

Last edited by tht; Aug 1st 2020 at 5:33 pm.