Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC Child passport renewal

USC Child passport renewal

Old Jul 14th 2020, 8:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC Child passport renewal

Originally Posted by Frank22 View Post
This will be my daughters third passport. Birth certificate was required for the first passport, so they should have this already. Maybe they are too lazy to try and find this? I also have a consular birth registration, but the HM passport office would not accept this and wanted the original with translation, makes you wonder why you go through the hassle in the first place?

Incompetence is only word that account for this shamble.
Which country was your daughter born in?
Old Jul 16th 2020, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Frank22 is an unknown quantity at this point

She was born in Ukraine. This is accurately stated in her passport.
Her claim to British citizenship is though me, her British father, and as per section 2 (1) a of the British Nationality Act 1981. Clearly stated on her consular birth certificate.
So they must be questioning my nationality. But I was born in the U.K. to both British parents, so not much doubt there.
Therefore, given it’s a renewal of an existing passport, with no changes, and the claim to nationality is good, then the only thing that really needs to be verified is that the new pictures are accurate and the applicant is not deceased. In today’s social media age, this is hardly a difficult task.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 12:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Her claim to British citizenship is though me, her British father, and as per section 2 (1) a of the British Nationality Act 1981. Clearly stated on her consular birth certificate.
So they must be questioning my nationality. But I was born in the U.K. to both British parents, so not much doubt there.
Therefore, given it’s a renewal of an existing passport, with no changes, and the claim to nationality is good, then the only thing that really needs to be verified is that the new pictures are accurate and the applicant is not deceased. In today’s social media age, this is hardly a difficult task.
Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but surely the fact that we've had a worldwide pandemic will mean there's a big delay? I remember ages ago there was lots on the news about passport delays as the offices were closed or had very limited staff, I suspect there's a pretty big backlog now.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

I would concede that the pandemic would result in some delay. Standard processing time is 4 weeks for overseas renewals and 6 weeks for first overseas passport. They’ve had the application for 5 months. It took them 4 1/2 months to ask for the birth certificate. Wouldn’t it be convenient to blame everything on covid?
there was a parliamentary review of the overseas passport office done in 2013/14. HC 238, very critical of the process and customer service. Obviously the lessons were not learnt or the recommendations ignored. Another great use of tax payers money!
Old Jul 20th 2020, 12:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A passport examiner is not going to be sitting on her application for no good reason. Ukraine is a high risk country so they may need to check her supporting evidence. If that involves the cooperation of the Ukrainian authorities during a pandemic then you’ve got one reasonable explanation why it’s taking so long. Sharing a similar biodata with someone who has been flagged for identity fraud, child abduction or registered in the UK as deceased are others.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 12:29 am

I would concede that the pandemic would result in some delay. Standard processing time is 4 weeks for overseas renewals and 6 weeks for first overseas passport. They’ve had the application for 5 months. It took them 4 1/2 months to ask for the birth certificate. Wouldn’t it be convenient to blame everything on covid?
there was a parliamentary review of the overseas passport office done in 2013/14. HC 238, very critical of the process and customer service. Obviously the lessons were not learnt or the recommendations ignored. Another great use of tax payers money!
Those problems have long since been solved. It’s now quicker to renew your passport by post via the UK then it was via your local embassy. At the same time the verification process has become a lot more robust so if you do require checking then it can often take many months. I believe the forum record is around 18 months.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
A passport examiner is not going to be sitting on her application for no good reason. Ukraine is a high risk country so they may need to check her supporting evidence. If that involves the cooperation of the Ukrainian authorities during a pandemic then you’ve got one reasonable explanation why it’s taking so long. Sharing a similar biodata with someone who has been flagged for identity fraud, child abduction or registered in the UK as deceased are others.
The problem is there is no information after 5 months. Simply that it’s undergoing ID checks. The same status for the last 3 months when I have been enquiring. For all I know they could have lost the application and all they have is the system reference when last updated. Maybe as you say they are waiting on information from another body, but waiting is not the same as actively chasing.
I got a reply from the complaints team saying “everything is in accordance with policy and procedure” and “nothing is wrong so no corrective action is required”. Based on this logic, I may have to wait indefinitely.
There seems to be no accountability
Old Jul 20th 2020, 12:22 pm

The problem is there is no information after 5 months. Simply that it’s undergoing ID checks. The same status for the last 3 months when I have been enquiring. For all I know they could have lost the application and all they have is the system reference when last updated. Maybe as you say they are waiting on information from another body, but waiting is not the same as actively chasing.
I got a reply from the complaints team saying “everything is in accordance with policy and procedure” and “nothing is wrong so no corrective action is required”. Based on this logic, I may have to wait indefinitely.
There seems to be no accountability
That’s likely because that’s all there is to say. They’re not going to give you a detailed explanation of what fraud prevention measures they’re undertaking for obvious reasons. Whilst I understand the wait is frustrating HMPO is under no obligation to issue a passport to your daughter until they are satisfied that she is entitled to one.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
That’s likely because that’s all there is to say. They’re not going to give you a detailed explanation of what fraud prevention measures they’re undertaking for obvious reasons. Whilst I understand the wait is frustrating HMPO is under no obligation to issue a passport to your daughter until they are satisfied that she is entitled to one.
It’s a renewal. Or are you saying the previous 2 passport officers who issued her passport were idiots?
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 8:21 am

It’s a renewal. Or are you saying the previous 2 passport officers who issued her passport were idiots?
I’m saying something has evidently happened in the last five years that means your daughter’s application is now subject to extra scrutiny.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 8:46 am
Just Joined

My application has been in ID checks for 5 months and they have not bothered to call/contact the counter signatory! Given they won’t disclose their policy or procedures, you would have at least expected the simple tests to have been concluded. But no.
They are probably too busy figuring out the one way system in and out of the building to actually do any real work. Typical British efficiency.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 9:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My application has been in ID checks for 5 months and they have not bothered to call/contact the counter signatory! Given they won’t disclose their policy or procedures, you would have at least expected the simple tests to have been concluded. But no.
They are probably too busy figuring out the one way system in and out of the building to actually do any real work. Typical British efficiency.
I suspect the problem is Ukranian efficiency, not British. You can't blame HMPO if they're waiting on checks from a third party, it can take months or even years sometimes, particularly with certain countries.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Why do you presume they are waiting on third party information? Do you know something about their process that they do not disclose?
How can not point the finger at HMPO for not contacting the counter signatory or do you suppose they subcontract that task also?
There’s an article in the BBC today regarding passport delays and the back log of 400,000.
I submitted my application 5 weeks before the lockdown. If HMPO had been efficient, I would have already received my new passport. Now it’s very easy to blame others and the pandemic.
Yesterday, there was another article about the “hostile environment policy”. The Home Secretary said she wanted to ensure "sweeping reforms" to Home Office culture and would be "reviewing every aspect of how the department operates, its leadership, the culture, policies, practices and the way it views and treats all parts of the communities it serves".
I think it’s clear where the problems are.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 10:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

How can not point the finger at HMPO for not contacting the counter signatory or do you suppose they subcontract that task also?
They often don't contact them at all.

I think it’s clear where the problems are.
You may so, but without knowing what's going on behind the scenes, the reality is that you're just guessing.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
They often don't contact them at all.

You may so, but without knowing what's going on behind the scenes, the reality is that you're just guessing.
Yes, but my guess is based on the Home Secretary wanting a complete review. And I also guess the Home Secretary would not want such a review unless something was wrong to the core.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.