Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC Child passport renewal

USC Child passport renewal

Old Jun 26th 2020, 11:52 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default USC Child passport renewal

I know now is not the ideal time to renew a passport, but I want to make sure my older sons passport is current in case we need to go to a country with lower/no COVID-19 cases later this year.

I understand that for a child renewal both me and mrs tht need to go to the post office for the application.

my question is do we need to take all the paper work we did before or is his expired passport and the new passport application form all we need. Anyone have any direct / recent experience doing this ?

Old Jun 27th 2020, 12:11 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC Child passport renewal

Originally Posted by tht
I know now is not the ideal time to renew a passport, but I want to make sure my older sons passport is current in case we need to go to a country with lower/no COVID-19 cases later this year.

I understand that for a child renewal both me and mrs tht need to go to the post office for the application.

my question is do we need to take all the paper work we did before or is his expired passport and the new passport application form all we need. Anyone have any direct / recent experience doing this ?

More than "not the ideal time" (and assuming you are in the US) it looks as though what you want is currently impossible. A few passport offices have started Phase one of reopening which means that they are only processing passports needed in the next 72 hours for a life and death emergency.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-agencies.html

This site appears to supply the list of what you need to take with you when you are able to go and get this done.

https://www.rushmypassport.com/blog/...-for-children/

Old Jun 27th 2020, 12:28 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
More than "not the ideal time" (and assuming you are in the US) it looks as though what you want is currently impossible. A few passport offices have started Phase one of reopening which means that they are only processing passports needed in the next 72 hours for a life and death emergency.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-agencies.html

This site appears to supply the list of what you need to take with you when you are able to go and get this done.

https://www.rushmypassport.com/blog/...-for-children/
I have an appointment next week at the post office where they do acceptance for passports. The below update says it could be delayed but I may as well get the application in process while CV-19 cases are lower in my town/state (CT).

Your link confirms I need proof of being the parent, I assume one of his birth certificates will do that. But it also makes sense that we both have to bring ID now I remember that we both habe to be there. But in terms of what they take /send I was hoping it would only be his expired passport

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...passports.html
Old Jun 27th 2020, 1:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I have an appointment next week at the post office where they do acceptance for passports. The below update says it could be delayed but I may as well get the application in process while CV-19 cases are lower in my town/state (CT).

Your link confirms I need proof of being the parent, I assume one of his birth certificates will do that. But it also makes sense that we both have to bring ID now I remember that we both habe to be there. But in terms of what they take /send I was hoping it would only be his expired passport

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...passports.html
When I did that for my son, his expired US passport was sufficient to prove his citizenship. I can't be sure that's still the same since I'm not a professional at this, but the link I posted seems to suggest that it is. I'm afraid I don't remember what I had to produce, sorry.

Not sure what the post office will do with your application if the actual passport issuing offices are not processing them, but I'm sure they'll tell you when you get there. Good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 1:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

just a heads up that my son's passport application submitted February 28th is still not processed. Apparently they are working through the backlog from date of receipt and since his was submitted a few weeks before everything closed down, I had hoped for some progress by now. I would definitely advise getting any passport applications in as soon as you can!
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:01 pm
tht

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
just a heads up that my son's passport application submitted February 28th is still not processed. Apparently they are working through the backlog from date of receipt and since his was submitted a few weeks before everything closed down, I had hoped for some progress by now. I would definitely advise getting any passport applications in as soon as you can!
Yep, booked in for Thursday.... if it is one line, may as well be in it before any post “COVID-19” rush of renewals....
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 8:45 pm
tht

she said the wait was “2-3 months at the post office today”. To be honest a delay may work out OK. If I can stretch it out so his 3rd renewal is after his 16th birthday he will get a 10 year then vs another 5 year one.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 12:04 am
tht

Just got the automated email alert from state to say they received the application and that it has been received and is “In Process”, that only took 4 days of which 1 was a holiday and 2 were the weekend. I assume this next part will take significantly longer based on the fact you are still waiting...
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

pigg10 is an unknown quantity at this point

We sent our passports off Feb 28th we got our new ones the end of June. Our passports were expiring the end
of April.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Frank22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Submitted my daughters renewal application on February 14, 2020. They asked for my wife’s passport on Feb 21, then complete silence until I persistently called their helpline 3 months later. On June 26, they asked for my daughters birth certificate. Lord knows what they’ve been doing for 4 1/2 months. Especially considering neither of the requested documents are required for a renewal. Had a call with the case handler on July 1, whose only comment was, “we are following policy”. She even had the nerve to ask if my daughter was adopted! Given, they had already received the birth certificate, I can only conclude they didn’t look at it or couldn’t read. It’s now 5 months on, and I’ve just got an email from the case handler saying they are “still performing standard check”.

Personally, I just think they are incompetent.

There was a Parliamentary review back in 2014, HC238, that looked at the policy, delays, back log etc. Obviously, nothing has changed.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 5:08 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Frank22
Submitted my daughters renewal application on February 14, 2020. They asked for my wife’s passport on Feb 21, then complete silence until I persistently called their helpline 3 months later. On June 26, they asked for my daughters birth certificate. Lord knows what they’ve been doing for 4 1/2 months. Especially considering neither of the requested documents are required for a renewal. Had a call with the case handler on July 1, whose only comment was, “we are following policy”. She even had the nerve to ask if my daughter was adopted! Given, they had already received the birth certificate, I can only conclude they didn’t look at it or couldn’t read. It’s now 5 months on, and I’ve just got an email from the case handler saying they are “still performing standard check”.

Personally, I just think they are incompetent.

There was a Parliamentary review back in 2014, HC238, that looked at the policy, delays, back log etc. Obviously, nothing has changed.
Edit: are you talking about a UK passport? The below assumes it’s a US passport since that’s what the thread is about.

Is your daughter under 16?

I thought all renewals under 16 were treated like a new application. I assume you did not go to an acceptance facility? They check everything there. We had to submit my sons old passport/card and original birth certificate, but only had to give photocopies of our (both parents) ID.

Last edited by tht; Jul 14th 2020 at 5:22 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Yes, UK passport. And yes under 16. I went through the British Embassy, the appointment, interview, document checks, ID checks, the whole 9 yards.
I’ve been through the guidance notes, birth certificate specifically noted as not required. Nothing on the wife’s passport.
Talked to the counter signatory, no one has contacted him. You’d have thought that was an easy tick off the list after 5 months?
5 months for a child’s renewal! Dread to think what will happen for the first full adult passport.
Just don’t understand what they are doing. They refuse to explain their process or issues. And never anything on status.
Most of their helpline are working from home, so cannot access their systems, hence cannot provide any information. They take your number and say someone will call back. Then a few days later you get an email saying we tried calling but got no response. Don’t they know we all have smart phones that show whether a call was missed or not?
Makes you wonder why tax payers money is wasted this way
Just not fit for purpose.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 6:22 pm
tht

Yes, UK passport. And yes under 16. I went through the British Embassy, the appointment, interview, document checks, ID checks, the whole 9 yards.
I’ve been through the guidance notes, birth certificate specifically noted as not required. Nothing on the wife’s passport.
Talked to the counter signatory, no one has contacted him. You’d have thought that was an easy tick off the list after 5 months?
5 months for a child’s renewal! Dread to think what will happen for the first full adult passport.
Just don’t understand what they are doing. They refuse to explain their process or issues. And never anything on status.
Most of their helpline are working from home, so cannot access their systems, hence cannot provide any information. They take your number and say someone will call back. Then a few days later you get an email saying we tried calling but got no response. Don’t they know we all have smart phones that show whether a call was missed or not?
Makes you wonder why tax payers money is wasted this way
Just not fit for purpose.
I could understand their request if this was a first passport for a UKC born abroad (to establish the claim to UK citizenship, but if they already had a UK passport it makes less sense. I assume you did not do a consular birth registration with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. I did that instead of getting UK passports for my sons because they have to travel on their US passports anyway and only visit UK/EU for shorter visits anyway. Are you both UKC as well?
Old Jul 14th 2020, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

This will be my daughters third passport. Birth certificate was required for the first passport, so they should have this already. Maybe they are too lazy to try and find this? I also have a consular birth registration, but the HM passport office would not accept this and wanted the original with translation, makes you wonder why you go through the hassle in the first place?

Incompetence is only word that account for this shamble.

Old Jul 14th 2020, 6:47 pm
tht

This will be my daughters third passport. Birth certificate was required for the first passport, so they should have this already. Maybe they are too lazy to try and find this? I also have a consular birth registration, but the HM passport office would not accept this and wanted the original with translation, makes you wonder why you go through the hassle in the first place?

Incompetence is only word that account for this shamble.
Translation from “American” to “English”?

It sounds like it could be a more complicated situation than just the usual gov department incompetence....

Last edited by tht; Jul 14th 2020 at 7:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.