Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA's National Airline?

USA's National Airline?

Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:14 am
Just Joined

guess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA's National Airline?

I know sounds dumb and searched on google quite a few times, but didnt find the answer. Which 1 is USA's national airline
US airways or
American Airlines??

Thanx for all the replies
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:41 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a national airline. They're all private corps.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road
Default Re: USA's National Airline?

Originally posted by guess
I know sounds dumb and searched on google quite a few times, but didnt find the answer. Which 1 is USA's national airline
US airways or
American Airlines??

Prior to the 1980s and airline deregulation, there were two airlines that the U.S. governement considered its "flag carriers": Pan American (Pan Am) and Trans World Airlines (TWA). Both are now out of business. Today there are multiple U.S. airlines that provide international service, although none with the global scope of the old Pan Am or TWA.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:46 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by guess
US airways or
American Airlines??

both airlines operate throughout the country but have major hubs/aiports from where they operate.

AA took over TWA. Pan-ams assets might have been sold off to various airlines.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:04 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gross50
AA took over TWA. Pan-ams assets might have been sold off to various airlines.
Pan Am (my dad worked for them) sold most of its assets and its LHR hub and routes to United. Someone brought the Pan Am logo and there is now a tiny carrier out of Maine bearing the old Pan Am legend.

Last edited by sibsie; Jun 12th 2004 at 6:33 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:08 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hooters Air, thats the national airline of America
Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:32 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by Patrick
Hooters Air, thats the national airline of America
They really should get round to naming an airport after Clinton. That would be an ideal hub for Hooters Air.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sibsie
Pan Am (my dad worked for them) sold most of its assets and its LHR hub and routes to United. Someone brought the Pan Am logo and there is now a tiny carrier out of Maine bearing the old Pan Am legend.
I still have a reservation for Pan Am's first flight to the moon. I got it back in 1969 and I'm still waiting. Perhaps I should contact that carrier up in Maine.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:59 pm
C.G.D.S

They could give you a ride as far as Orlando and you could always hitch a ride to Cape Canaveral from there...
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

The logo for US airways strikes me as odd: a black and grey US flag. It looks like a US flag in the negative. It seems almost evil.

Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jaytee
The logo for US airways strikes me as odd: a black and grey US flag. It looks like a US flag in the negative. It seems almost evil.

US Airways IS evil
They got a hamburger all over my suitcase it was disgusting...and they left my underwear hanging halfway out without zipping up the pockets
Plus they stopped doing nonstop flights from Pittsburgh to London!
Very evil.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:55 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I've always used Delta Airlines. With the amount of travelling I've done in the past flying to the US, I've managed to claim 3 free flights with them.

I always thought they were kind of the national as they seem more prominent (well, in the airports I've flown to anyway.)
Old Jun 14th 2004, 4:30 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

delta's main hub is atlanta so thats probably the reason why you see a lot of them

american is the largest airline in the world right now (i believe)

US Scareways should be bankrupt soon (I hope)