Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USAA now open to general public

USAA now open to general public

Old Jul 18th 2009, 10:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USAA now open to general public

Originally Posted by creamern
Well apparently we women are nothing more than a simple lot.

well I didn't want to say........
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:13 am
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
I guess I wasn't obvious/clear enough. The user is gone & no point continuing to fall for his troll bait.

Sorry about that...but that kind of talk is rather uncalled for. Just perturbs me that some people think they are better than most everyone else. I will read more carefully next time so thank you.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
why?

officers and family can be just as shit at driving as anyone else can, being an officer doesn't make some one special there...
Per my Dad - USAA's founding wasn't intended to be for the elite, it was filling a need. USAA was founded because many insurance companies wouldn't insure military officers.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

punktlich2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Wow, so much bickering going on. Anyway, back to the point of the thread...

I sent an email to USAA last night asking for a clarification of their membership eligibility. This morning I received the following response:

We received your message regarding our eligibility requirements.

Generally, the following categories are eligible:

* Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
* National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
* Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
* Former military personnel:
o Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
o Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
* Adult children of USAA members.
* Widows, widowers and former spouses of USAA members.

Some USAA products are available to everyone

USAA life insurance, investment, Alliance Services, and some bank deposit products are available to everyone. Individuals who do not belong to one of the eligible groups above are not able to apply for new products online so we ask that they call us at 1-800-531-USAA (8722) to apply by phone.

Will the eligibility requirements ever change?
USAA plans to expand eligibility in the next few months to serve more military veterans and their families. When we have new information, we will post it immediately on usaa.com, so you can check our Website for updates.

USAA values your continuous loyalty for the past 18 years and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
Kristine [Surname]
USAA

So, I think that settles it.

~ Jenney
For the sake of completion and accuracy, your list (the same that appears on ussa.com when you search for "membership" is incomplete. Certain other commissioned officers of the USA are eligible, i.e., most US Foreign Service Officers of the Department of State (but not agricultural, commercial or AID officers, according to a 2004 Amer Foreign Service Assn letter http://www.afsa.org/USAID/natsios040804.cfm ), officers of the US Public Health Service and (at least when I last saw it, in the 1970s) employees of USAA.

Until 2007 or 2008 USAA said they had "no plans" to widen membership to enlisted personnel, but I suppose the urge for growth led them to do it.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creamern
Sorry about that...but that kind of talk is rather uncalled for. Just perturbs me that some people think they are better than most everyone else. I will read more carefully next time so thank you.
I think you might be reading more into the post than was intended.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

That was all very weird
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:45 pm
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think you might be reading more into the post than was intended.
How so? I was only referring to the bad posts from BethPageBlack. He seems to thrive on wanting to put others down while trying in vain to make himself look like a King. I had gone in and read some of his other posts in other threads and was appalled by them so it added fuel to my fire. I however did not read Meauxna's post that he was gone and no longer here so I told her I would pay more attention from now on.

Otherwise, we have used USAA for many years and have our house, condo, autos, checking and savings there. The reps have always been very nice and act fast if anything has been requested. Their auto rates compared to any other company have always come out lower and their house insurance living in FL after all the hurricane trouble are much better than any company that might still insure there. We have Pen Air, Colonial and USAA for checking due to locations of each and by far USAA is the only one we do the majority of banking through. My husband is not an officer but my son is and they are both treated the same from USAA so I can't say enough good things about them.

Last edited by creamern; Jul 19th 2009 at 5:59 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:21 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by punktlich2
For the sake of completion and accuracy, your list (the same that appears on ussa.com when you search for "membership" is incomplete.
As I'd mentioned, the list that I posted in post #39 above was sent to me directly from USAA in response to my email inquiry. I didn't come up with that list on my own or deliberately leave out any information. I asked them to clarify their eligibility requirements, and that's the answer I got.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

It made things much simpler for me when I emigrated in '05 that I was eligible for USAA membership through my wife. I was concerned about how many American banks/credit card/insurance companies there are and how I should go about comparing them, then J. told me the good news. Their insurance reps were so efficient and helpful when a tree fell on our car last summer and gave us above book value for our pile of scrap. I appreciate the extras included with their credit card, ATM charges paid for, low APR, cash rebates on purchases, extended warranty, CDW on car rental, and travel accident & baggage insurance all included. Very happy with 'em.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:34 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
It made things much simpler for me when I emigrated in '05 that I was eligible for USAA membership through my wife.
Mark also got USAA membership through me when we married in 2003. One of the nicest things we encountered was that they were so easy to work with even though Mark was an immigrant. For instance, they took Mark's 13-year UK driving record into account when determining our auto insurance premiums. Because of this, our premiums were as low as they would've been if his entire driving record had been in the US.

We also never encountered any problems, resistance or confusion because he wasn't a US citizen or LPR, or didn't have his SSN yet, etc. My guess is that because many of their members are based overseas, USAA must be used to dealing with people who marry foreigners/immigrants and are comfortable with handling customers like Mark.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
why?

officers and family can be just as shit at driving as anyone else can, being an officer doesn't make some one special there...

Much better if they stay in their own pond and we don't have to be thrown in with Elizabeth Highbrow and her drinking buddies at the club....

Ok, got in on the end of it.....

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jul 23rd 2009 at 4:08 pm.