Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA: West Coast Vs East Coast

USA: West Coast Vs East Coast

Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:53 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default USA: West Coast Vs East Coast

Had a conversation recently with a guy originally from Kentucky, who had lived in California but eventually settled in Pennsylvania. He said it took him about 10 years to get used to PA but he ultimately preferred it to Cali.

This got me thinking about the supposed vast differences between East Coasters and West Coasters' lifestyles and mentalities etc. Having only lived on the East Coast and visited the south of the USA I don't really have any idea what this other 'west coast' lifestyle and mentality is like.
I know there's been a big deal made about it in terms of people saying Cali is full of fruits and nuts etc etc *yawn* and the whole East Vs West rap wars in the 90's *double yawn*

Has anyone lived on or had experience of both sides? Did you observe the differences and can explain what they are? I'm intrigued to know if it's actually true or just a load of codswallop and stereotyping.

Last edited by Sarah; Jan 7th 2007 at 4:56 am.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA: West Coast Vs East Coast

Originally Posted by Sarah
Had a conversation recently with a guy originally from Kentucky, who had lived in California but eventually settled in Pennsylvania. He said it took him about 10 years to get used to PA but he ultimately preferred it to Cali.

This got me thinking about the supposed vast differences between East Coasters and West Coasters' lifestyles and mentalities etc. Having only lived on the East Coast and visited the south of the USA I don't really have any idea what this other 'west coast' lifestyle and mentality is like.
I know there's been a big deal made about it in terms of people saying Cali is full of fruits and nuts etc etc *yawn* and the whole East Vs West rap wars in the 90's *double yawn*

Has anyone lived on or had experience of both sides? Did you observe the differences and can explain what they are? I'm intrigued to know if it's actually true or just a load of codswallop and stereotyping.
We could have ended up in Delaware.

Very very grateful we did not.

Nuff said.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

B.I.G all the way baby.... holla at your boy.... etc... etc... etc..
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the Illinois now,but we were stationed in Northern Cal. before my husband left the AF,and we've visited Virginia and Florida......if had my way,we'd move back to N.Cal. tomorrow,the whole atmosphere is SO relaxed and 'laid back',we really liked the history around Virginia,and loved Florida,but I'd still,like to live back in the N.Cal.area,there was just something about it....of course San Fransisco is just gorgeous!,but we used to drive all over Napa,Vaccaville,Vallejo,Petaluma,we went as far north as Point Reyes and as far south as Santa Cruz,on I-1,it was speechlessly spectacular!,and the weather is really lovely,most of the time,course the earthquakes are a bit 'hairy!',but then the tornados are not too much fun either!.........Sophia
p.s.isn't your husband in the AF?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:39 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in the Mid West and the East Coast, the Mid West is definitely slower and the people seem to have more time for you. Only been to LA to stay with my SIL, it seems as busy as the East Coast, but with a bit more sunshine. We did seem to spend a lot of our time on busy freeways, I'm not sure if that's normal or just her
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:40 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

So true is completely different. I've lived in the midwest then the east (north VA) then Pacific north west. I felt that I moved to 3 completely different countries every time I moved
I loved VA and I have lived here in Seattle for little over a year now but has taken me the longest time to settle in.

Maybe it's just how I 'found' my friends but feel VA is more friendly easier to make and find friends than here. VA is more conservative than here (very liberal here etc) and it is hard how to put that into words but it does affect you.
I also find here it is harder psychologically being away from home as the time difference is 8 hrs, and a longer plane journey whereas in VA felt very close to the UK.

More European people I felt in VA, (reminds me more of home) than here - more Asian, but both places very cosmopolitan and love that.
But I love the weather here way better, still nice summers but not awful humid ones like VA (though they were still better than the midwest!) and the surrounding countryside does remind me more of home (sort of!)
And I can count on one hand the no of times people asked me where I am from, they are so used here to people of every nationality and that on it's own is worth a lot

Last edited by Irn-bru; Jan 7th 2007 at 3:03 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:27 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
So true is completely different. I've lived in the midwest then the east (north VA) then Pacific north west. I felt that I moved to 3 completely different countries every time I moved
I loved VA and I have lived here in Seattle for little over a year now but has taken me the longest time to settle in.

Maybe it's just how I 'found' my friends but feel VA is more friendly easier to make and find friends than here. VA is more conservative than here (very liberal here etc) and it is hard how to put that into words but it does affect you.
I also find here it is harder psychologically being away from home as the time difference is 8 hrs, and a longer plane journey whereas in VA felt very close to the UK.

More European people I felt in VA, (reminds me more of home) than here - more Asian, but both places very cosmopolitan and love that.
But I love the weather here way better, still nice summers but not awful humid ones like VA (though they were still better than the midwest!) and the surrounding countryside does remind me more of home (sort of!)
And I can count on one hand the no of times people asked me where I am from, they are so used here to people of every nationality and that on it's own is worth a lot
I love the PNW and would move there in a heartbeat if I could, I find the people so much friendlier, laid back and so much more courteous than on the East coast, I agree with you on the countryside, at times you can almost feel like you are "back home". I hate the summers on the East coast, the humidity is overwhelming, really leaves you unable to do to much in the height of the summer, whereas on the North West coast the seasons are as they should be.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:51 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in the southwest (AZ) along with South Dakota, Cal (for a very short amount of time) and now NY. For day to day living I much preferred AZ, much more laid back in my opinion and the weather is superb (if you like it hot! ). However, there are many places all over the states that I love, all of them have good and bad things about them though. I would definately say that the west is more laid back in general.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

we don't have that valley girl twang, thank god

I've a few mates live out on the west coast, all seem to like it, but said they wouldn't want to live there the rest of their lives, certainly with a family, mostly because of the cost, it's alright dossing in a shit hole when your working all day and partying all night and hardly ever home.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Mid-West:

Nice, easy-paced lifestyle and the people are the friendliest you could expect to meet......if you stay away from the big cities.

Jim.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:30 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
I love the PNW and would move there in a heartbeat if I could, I find the people so much friendlier, laid back and so much more courteous than on the East coast, I agree with you on the countryside, at times you can almost feel like you are "back home". I hate the summers on the East coast, the humidity is overwhelming, really leaves you unable to do to much in the height of the summer, whereas on the North West coast the seasons are as they should be.
Interesting that you find the exact opposite to me re making friends etc. Just shows everyones experience is different
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:39 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that you find the exact opposite to me re making friends etc. Just shows everyones experience is different
I'm in Maryland, 12 miles outside DC, unfriendliest people I have ever met, there is a huge racial divide here and I think that doesn't help.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie
I'm in Maryland, 12 miles outside DC, unfriendliest people I have ever met, there is a huge racial divide here and I think that doesn't help.
Sorry to hear that I was living just outside Dulles airport, but maybe I just got lucky with my friends.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:58 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that I was living just outside Dulles airport, but maybe I just got lucky with my friends.
I lived in Middleburg loved the Virginians, loved the countryside everything about it I live in the Mid West now and find it a very depressing place.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I lived in Middleburg loved the Virginians, loved the countryside everything about it I live in the Mid West now and find it a very depressing place.
You poor thing at least I went from the Mid West to VA not the other way around as I would be very depressed also!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.