Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA vs UK healthcare - physician perspective

USA vs UK healthcare - physician perspective

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA vs UK healthcare - physician perspective

Originally Posted by expatdoc
Never asked for your sympathy, your greenbacks and credit card swipes is all that is needed.
Now you're just being nasty. If you are indeed a medical practitioner then you're doing your profession a huge disservice with this and other comments you've made.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

A) Because my wife does
B) because it pays the bills

​​​​​​your greenbacks and credit card swipes is all that is needed
Thanks for summing up my point in a single sentence.

Do you even remember what the point of medicine is?
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:38 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

So this is how Doc Martin ends.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:55 pm
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Now you're just being nasty. If you are indeed a medical practitioner then you're doing your profession a huge disservice with this and other comments you've made.
Hang on a minute so its ok for the all the folks on here to say that a) MDs are universally overpaid b) dropping the salary by 100k will fix the 100k doctor shortage (love the theory behind that one) but when I say something tongue in cheek its nasty! Hmm the irony!

Especially coming from someone working in the completely immoral world of finance who justifies it by saying 'bills to pay' well dont we all! A world where the taxpayer has repeatedly had to involuntarily bail them out after repeated 'f' ups costing trillions while at the same time watching them drive off in their bonus lined Porsche with their middle fingers firmly stuck up at the public who have to keep saving them time after time.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh*

Just goes to show that education, common sense, and the ability to comprehend English, are often mutually exclusive.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:42 pm
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
*sigh*

Just goes to show that education, common sense, and the ability to comprehend English, are often mutually exclusive.
You've also clearly demonstrated the intelligence to work in finance especially the idea of cutting salaries to boost a non-existent workforce. Maybe try that in the world of finance as opposed to repeatedly asking the Fed to bail you out when the random number generators that exist in your temporal gyri repeatedly fail...
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Never asked for your sympathy, your greenbacks and credit card swipes is all that is needed. Anyhow if you hate the system so much a) why live here and b) why work in the world of healthcare finance an equally profit driven sector of healthcare here (not for profit is total baloney) which you equally benefit from
You are not a very good representative for your profession.

Shame on you.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 1:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly Britain will soon be 3rd world so perhaps the US should sign up to the WHO mandate also (it never has) pose the same question to those British Gp's now sitting on a beach on the Gold Coast coining in $300k Ozzie bucks
Speaking as a Brit living on the Gold Coast and knowing several British GPs, may I just say.. You're talking bollocks but I'll be sure to tell them about you next time I see them. You'll see the eye rolls from whatever bridge you're living under.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Had thankfully few, but good experiences with healthcare here. Had a couple child births in the family and witnessed what appeared to be better attention and luxury than in the UK. I think physicians warrant their salary. Med school is long, expensive (not only the tuition etc, but the opportunity cost of not entering the workplace sooner), and frankly the school is really tough. If the UK can't retain people then that's on NHS management to figure out, just like it is in the private sector. In the USA where a decent middle-class job is six figures, I expect that times a few for a qualified and experienced Dr in a city / larger system.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 11:20 am
Often not so civil...

You've also clearly demonstrated the intelligence to work in finance especially the idea of cutting salaries to boost a non-existent workforce.
You know, I used to think that Doctors actually loved their profession and did it because of that love - the salary was purely incidental and a good number of times was well deserved.

If you attitude is indicative of most MDs, that opinion was wrong.

For the last time - healthcare finance is hardly the same category of finance you are referring too. I can assure you that I don't make anywhere near as much as you do. I'm guessing about 40% of it. I don't resent that, because ultimately the services of the physician that are the whole point, but it's easier to see why the trend is to jettison MD services in favor of using Nurse Practitioners. So much cheaper.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You know, I used to think that Doctors actually loved their profession and did it because of that love - the salary was purely incidental and a good number of times was well deserved.

If you attitude is indicative of most MDs, that opinion was wrong.

For the last time - healthcare finance is hardly the same category of finance you are referring too. I can assure you that I don't make anywhere near as much as you do. I'm guessing about 40% of it. I don't resent that, because ultimately the services of the physician that are the whole point, but it's easier to see why the trend is to jettison MD services in favor of using Nurse Practitioners. So much cheaper.
I've also seen trends recently to reduce the amount of RNs and have CNAs instead. I doubt any of that cost savings are passed on to the patient.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

dropping the salary by 100k will fix the 100k doctor shortage (love the theory behind that one)
I said nothing of the sort, which makes me think you are intentionally misquoting me to be antagonistic.

What I actually said was that if the average doctor's income was reduced by $100k, I don't think there would be any noticeable drop in the number of students wishing to become a doctor - the implication there is that a doctor's income is already sufficiently high that there would be room for it to drop without people thinking that the profession was not financially viable for them to enter.

At no point did I even remotely suggest that dropping a doctor's income would fix the doctor "shortage".
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

let's all get citizenship and vote for Bernie!
expatdoc continues to come on the forum and behave like a spoiled toddler. So just ignore him.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I have family working in the NHS, I have used the services of the NHS and have nothing but good thoughts about it.
I have personally held Private Insurance in the UK (through work benefits) without ever needing to use it, my brother has skipped the NHS queues by leveraging his employer funded Private Healthcare in the UK, as well as having used NHS services.
I've had experience of using the USA Healthcare system - son had a double Hernia Op and daughter was admitted to the ER after fainting and hitting her head, while complaining about pains in her arm. It was a very pleasant experience, as much as using a hospital can be, as well as being eye watering when it came to the bills. Fortunately the good employer insurance covered most of it, but still felt that pain the wallet.
On the whole, I am lucky in that the USA system probably washed out in balance with the NHS/Private combo I might have had in the UK. I am not completely selfish though, and can see how the USA system costs are an extreme burden to those who find they need to use it. There s very little difference in output between the two systems that should justify the variation in cost.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey. Not sure where you practice or what field you're in, but I hope I never have to use your services.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.