Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA vs UK healthcare - physician perspective

USA vs UK healthcare - physician perspective

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 1:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA vs UK healthcare - physician perspective

Great you have made a killing out of others suffering, to come on here and gloat about it seems a bit rich.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 1:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Great you have made a killing out of others suffering, to come on here and gloat about it seems a bit rich.
To be fair I don't think the OP came here to gloat, he/she is just giving their perspective. I would never begrudge anyone moving to another country in order to achieve a higher salary, it's probably one of the main drivers for a good percentage of BE members.

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 2:16 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
To be fair I don't think the OP came here to gloat, he/she is just giving their perspective. I would never begrudge anyone moving to another country in order to achieve a higher salary, it's probably one of the main drivers for a good percentage of BE members.
unfortunately, in the USA Dr's salaries are easy to blame for the extortionate cost of medical care for us.
I'm not totally against the insurance companies insisting on us using in-network doctors either as it helps to keep costs down - the "in network" docs have agreed to charge a particular amount which is usually cheaper (a lot) than their standard charges.
However, I have always been astounded at the amount that private drs charge in the UK. One dermatologist charges 480UKP per new patient consultation ( 30 minutes) then a mere 270UKP for subsequent appointments.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 2:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I have zero problems with that nor people shall we say inferring that. I guess the in your face aspect couple with the area that you are making it from hit a nerve.

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
unfortunately, in the USA Dr's salaries are easy to blame for the extortionate cost of medical care for us.
I'm not totally against the insurance companies insisting on us using in-network doctors either as it helps to keep costs down - the "in network" docs have agreed to charge a particular amount which is usually cheaper (a lot) than their standard charges.
I recall reading that high salaries account for 10% of the elevated costs of healthcare in the US. So a significant but overall small piece of the puzzle. Medical doctor also holds the single highest rank in social status among jobs in the US in sociological surveys. There is a cultural expectation going back centuries that physicians should be quite well-to-do/"rich."

I remember being surprised to learn while watching classic Japanese films from the '50s and '60s that average GP-type doctors in that country have historically had fairly mediocre social status.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have private options in Canada for the most part, but if your not a resident and thus lack health coverage here, the costs are quite high especially hospital stay's. Can see a walk in clinic doctor for around $150-$200 CAD$, an ER visit is pretty high $600-$700 base rate + doctor fees + lab fees and such, the new urgent care was somewhere around $600-$700 to see the doctor if not covered + any costs for lab/diagnostic tests.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
However, I have always been astounded at the amount that private drs charge in the UK. One dermatologist charges 480UKP per new patient consultation ( 30 minutes) then a mere 270UKP for subsequent appointments.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by expatdoc
Paid enough tax during my years in the NHS to more than cover the University fees and what about the taxes both my parents paid for decades also.
That is not the way to regard taxation. It matters not what you , your parent ; I or my parents may have paid in our lifetimes . That all goes into one pot to be apportioned accordingly. It is not your personal pot and it was not your parents personal pot of money for their offspring.

This argument is flawed as in the UK all degrees are subsidized by the taxpayer so are you saying that every single graduate that goes to work out of the country has to pay their fees back?
Yes. I would suggest that unless the person have xxx amount of years working in the UK then yes, they should pay that back.

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As an example I saw last week an individual case of a patient who had a delay of 4 days to find a mental health bed and that made the front page of a national newspaper in the UK. No way period would such a thing be reported in the NY Times for example.
The UK is a far far smaller country than the US, it would be unlikely that a single patient looking for a mental health bed would be nationwide news. I'm honestly surprised it did in the UK unless The Daily Mail were doing their usual the country is going to the dogs thing and used this person as an example.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats the biggest point in favour of NHS. If you need medical help, its there, free at point of use.
As someone who currently cannot afford the medical care she needs, due to the cost of using the system in Australia, I have to say I will never complain about the NHS again.
Personally Medicare in Aus has worked brilliantly for me and mine and I'd take the speed and care we've received over the NHS any day. However no system is perfect and nor does it work as well as it should for everyone.

Paid enough tax during my years in the NHS to more than cover the University fees and what about the taxes both my parents paid for decades also.

This argument is flawed as in the UK all degrees are subsidized by the taxpayer so are you saying that every single graduate that goes to work out of the country has to pay their fees back? No, then why pick on doctors then??
What has the fact your parents paid taxes got to do with anything? That's as pointless as saying an expat should be able to pop to the UK for treatment because they paid taxes 10 years ago.

As for the comment about a man wanting only a man to do a Prostate exam or a woman only wanting a woman to do a Pap Smear, that's weird imo. I'll take whoever is best qualified. My old GP was a guy and my current one is a female, both excellent and both more than capable of doing my internal exams or of diagnosing 'female' issues.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's as pointless as saying an expat should be able to pop to the UK for treatment because they paid taxes 10 years ago.
Well there's plenty in the "I've paid in all my life" brigade that think exactly that.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Well there's plenty in the "I've paid in all my life" brigade that think exactly that.
Can't fix stupid.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:09 pm
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Ludicrous statement given the Brits have raped the 3rd world of doctors and nurses for decades to plug their staffing deficits in the places no locals want to venture! Brits dont seem to give a toss then about the public in their own countries suffering with no care. How do you attract them? Financial bribes essentially shock horror.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Ludicrous statement given the Brits have raped the 3rd world of doctors and nurses for decades to plug their staffing deficits in the places no locals want to venture! Brits dont seem to give a toss then about the public in their own countries suffering with no care. How do you attract them? Financial bribes essentially shock horror.
You can't equate a higher salary and standard of living with a bribe. I don't consider the exorbitant MD salaries in the US to be bribes. They have to pay it to attract talent. THe problem is the system that produces that 'need' in the first place.

Offering physicians perks to prescribe certain drugs is a bribe.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The 3rd world doctors you speak of live a much, much better life than they do in their own country. If they didn’t they would stay and work in their own country.

All the doctors I know in the UK have an excellent standard of living.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:29 pm
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The 3rd world doctors you speak of live a much, much better life than they do in their own country. If they didn’t they would stay and work in their own country.

All the doctors I know in the UK have an excellent standard of living.
There is an ethical issue taking professional staff away from their own countries while most of their own citizens go without even basic care. Indeed Britain signed up to a WHO mandate not to recruit from the 3rd world but conveniently ignores it time and again when it pleases them.

GP numbers are dropping by about 1k a year with the efflux going to Oz and Canada. Clearly something is going seriously wrong in the UK and post Brexit it will slowly slide into an isolated runt of a nation. The drug shortages enveloping the nation there already are just the start of it.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is an ethical issue taking professional staff away from their own countries while most of their own citizens go without even basic care. Indeed Britain signed up to a WHO mandate not to recruit from the 3rd world but conveniently ignores it time and again when it pleases them.

GP numbers are dropping by about 1k a year with the efflux going to Oz and Canada. Clearly something is going seriously wrong in the UK and post Brexit it will slowly slide into an isolated runt of a nation. The drug shortages enveloping the nation there already are just the start of it.
You moved to the US...what ethics were involved?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.