Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA versus British Education System

USA versus British Education System

Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:53 am
Winterwords

Default Re: USA versus British Education System

With GCSEs & A levels it does depend on what examining board is being used, some are easier & some harder. I remember in the 90s when I was doing French, my friends in another school had 40% of theirs based on module work throughout the two years.

Generally though, I'd rather take a "good" British education as opposed to a "good" American one.

My step-mother is a primary school teacher and her year 4s are learning in English things like what alliteration & onomatopoeia is. (However, my step-mother does think it's ridiculous that she should be teaching this to kids their age as the slower members of her class have huge difficulties).

Last edited by Winterwords; Sep 10th 2005 at 7:11 am.

Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:02 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterwords
My step-mother is a primary school teacher and her year 4s are learning in English things like what alliteration & onomatopoeia is. (However, my step-mother does think it's ridiculous that she should be teaching this to kids their age as the slower members of her class have huge difficulties).
Personally I'd rather primary school teachers were teaching year 4s basic spelling. So much for the frigging national curriculum
Old Sep 10th 2005, 1:49 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Florida.

If you don't graduate in the US, you just go out and study for your GED's for a few weeks and bingo, you've got your high school diploma.

I did the GED at the beginning of this year to give me something to do. It was embarassingly easy to do. I only spent 3 weeks brushing up on maths, before they decided I didn't need to do any more work and put me in for the full exam. No science revision, no world history revision, no sociology revision...nothing. After being out of school for 20 years, I aced the exams. With all the sections bar the written essay being multiple choice answers, you don't need to know the stuff, you can just make educated guesses. You'd have to be a complete idiot to fail it.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
This was high school. When (if!) the student graduates high school, I assume that they have to take external exams?
No they don't.....my husband couldn't understand it either.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
scary thing is, where MIL teaches, there's a couple pupils that are getting kicked out at the end of the year whether they graduate or not as there turning 21
do they have a learning disability Bob, or some other disability? Usually kids only stay in school until they're 21 (mandated by federal law) if they have a disability.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I did the GED at the beginning of this year to give me something to do. It was embarassingly easy to do. I only spent 3 weeks brushing up on maths, before they decided I didn't need to do any more work and put me in for the full exam. No science revision, no world history revision, no sociology revision...nothing. After being out of school for 20 years, I aced the exams. With all the sections bar the written essay being multiple choice answers, you don't need to know the stuff, you can just make educated guesses. You'd have to be a complete idiot to fail it.
Maybe that's why on the job applications, I've been filling out recently, they ask whether you've received a high school diploma or a GED.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

[QUOTE=Winterwords]With GCSEs & A levels it does depend on what examining board is being used, some are easier & some harder.
QUOTE]

That's true. We did 10 "O"'s through AEB, and simultaneously wrote English Lang through Cambridge as well. Cambridge was easy as pie. AEB was a tad tougher (I think AEB is now AQA or something..could be wrong).
Old Sep 10th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Lets face it. If we were all leaders of the civilized world then things would be much much better.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
do they have a learning disability Bob, or some other disability? Usually kids only stay in school until they're 21 (mandated by federal law) if they have a disability.
Here in Tx they can say on until they are 21 regardless of ability. Believe or not Kids fail classes all the time and if they don't have the credits or now the exit exam pass, they can't graduate. A GED is not regarded by employers as good as a high school diploma, apparently.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

one of them's thick as shit, the other one missed so much school because he dobbed off to go hunting so much....there not special needs or criminals, they just never did any work and sat through school failing each year but never wanted to leave after hitting 18...apparantly one is determined to actually graduate now though...
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
one of them's thick as shit, the other one missed so much school because he dobbed off to go hunting so much....there not special needs or criminals, they just never did any work and sat through school failing each year but never wanted to leave after hitting 18...apparantly one is determined to actually graduate now though...
In California (unless they've changed things) if they are over 18 they need to enroll in adult education classes or (maybe) a continuation school. I don't believe they allow people pass the age of 18 (or 19) unless they are disabled.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

By UK I reckon you mean ENGLAND! The Scottish education system is different from the English..and better In the English GCSE exams even chimpanzees would pass them and my dog as well at a push.

Cheers
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In California (unless they've changed things) if they are over 18 they need to enroll in adult education classes or (maybe) a continuation school. I don't believe they allow people pass the age of 18 (or 19) unless they are disabled.
In maine they can stay in school till there 21....probably because there aren't as many adult ed classes available out in the sticks...