Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA to UK Phone rates please

USA to UK Phone rates please

Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Mark Seymour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA to UK Phone rates please

Where can I get the best deals to call the Uk from the USA.
I want to be able to pick up messages left on my UK phone
Many thanks
MArk
Old Dec 14th 2010, 2:44 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA to UK Phone rates please

Originally Posted by Mark Seymour
Many thanks
MArk
Vonage isn't a bad (VoIP) supplier that competes well with other companies and includes calls to many countries including UK.

We just switched to this but previosuly used this calling card which was good value and has been recommended on here before.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 4:01 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I am finding Rebtel really good after someone suggested it here.

I have a local number for each of my family and pay about 1cent per minute using the free minutes on my phone. If you need to call mobiles I think its about 15 cents. Each time I think of someone else I want to call I just get a number for them. You can also get calls for free but havnt tested that yet.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Seymour
Many thanks
MArk
Set yourself up a google voice account, then you can call UK landlines from any USA number (including your US cellphone) for 2 cents a minute.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Set yourself up a google voice account, then you can call UK landlines from any USA number (including your US cellphone) for 2 cents a minute.
or use skype
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Rates on landlines (when you subscribe to an international plan) are round about 8c/minute, as a comparison.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I am finding Rebtel really good after someone suggested it here.

I have a local number for each of my family and pay about 1cent per minute using the free minutes on my phone. If you need to call mobiles I think its about 15 cents. Each time I think of someone else I want to call I just get a number for them. You can also get calls for free but havnt tested that yet.

Totally recommend it.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
or use skype
Skype is about the same price, but you need either:

- A smartphone with a Skype-friendly provider and service plan
- To be at a computer running skype
- To purchase a Skype-compatible home phone 'dual-phone'

With Google Voice you don't need any of that....you just dial.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all

I use Verizon, they now have unlimited calling for $25.00 per month, you can call mobiles for the first 500 mins per month included in this plan
Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:01 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can set up a UK Skype In number so people can call the UK number (local) and leave messages that you can retrieve here in the USA. If you have an iPhone or an Android you can run Skype in the background and anytime someone calls the UK number it rings on your phone here in the US.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We dropped out international plan, saved $10 a month there and just go with the local phone land line service rate it's just under 10¢ a minute any day any time. By the end of the month I've spent anywhere from $5 to $20 on calls to UK
When we started with them it was 5¢ a minute she said it will bounce between that and 10¢ from time to time, we are happy with that.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:06 am
Banned

athlonfx is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to use skype for long-distance calls.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

upwoodlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Vonage isn't a bad (VoIP) supplier that competes well with other companies and includes calls to many countries including UK.

We just switched to this but previosuly used this calling card which was good value and has been recommended on here before.
I have had vonage for a couple of years now.
Cost with taxes is about $33 odd a month.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Callcentric. Service is VOIP--bring your own ATA!

Costs $0/month and 2c/minute to anywhere in US or UK landlines outgoing, 2c/minute incoming. Price includes every gizmo you could possibly imagine (and some you couldn't) on the line. I spend 2 or 3 bucks a month for phone service.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:59 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I use localphone.com and google voice. Localphone gives me a UK phone number that forwards to any phone I choose, which works out really well (especially when my dad was in hospital recently - he could call me directly without it costing a bomb). It costs 0.9 cents per minute for calls to and from the UK. Google voice usually gives better quality calls for outgoing which is why I often use that to make calls to the UK (I think that's 2 cents a minute).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.