British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Usa Tax question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usa-tax-question-886762/)

gwensvilla Nov 1st 2016 11:05 pm

Usa Tax question

When.a UK expat splits time within the usa and worldwide (UK and australia..Australia being main base/work).. and they can only be in the USA a limited time..for tax purposes if they holiday directly to Canada or carribean, is that an issue being contiguous to the usa..do we need to go further afield..is tax purposes treated the same as immigration purposes. Thanks

Noorah101 Nov 1st 2016 11:29 pm

Re: Usa Tax question

Originally Posted by gwensvilla (Post 12093262)
When.a UK expat splits time within the usa and worldwide (UK and australia..Australia being main base/work).. and they can only be in the USA a limited time..for tax purposes if they holiday directly to Canada or carribean, is that an issue being contiguous to the usa..do we need to go further afield..is tax purposes treated the same as immigration purposes. Thanks

What visa would you be on whenever you are in the USA?

Rene

Rete Nov 1st 2016 11:45 pm

Being a UK expat means nothing in terms of US taxes. What matters is what is your status in the US, i.e. resident/green card holder, US Citizen. Or if you are a non-resident of the US (for which your question doesn't make a bit of sense), the amount of time you spend inside of the US.

Green card holders and US citizens must file US taxes regardless of where they are living and on all worldwide income.

gwensvilla Nov 2nd 2016 12:39 am

Apologies. it was not me personally. I am e2 live full time in the usa and i am tax payer in UK and usa.
I am going on holiday with very good neighbours. he splits time between UK Australia and usa and is non taxpayer in usa. I just really fancied the carribean but if it's contiguous it would cause him a problem, so we would have to go elsewhere...
APologies again this is the wrong forum.I have since emailed my cpa and asked them to ask theirs...

Noorah101 Nov 2nd 2016 12:58 am

So what visa would your neighbor be on when he's in the USA?

Rene

gwensvilla Nov 2nd 2016 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12093339)
So what visa would your neighbor be on when he's in the USA?

Rene

He isnt on any visa and keeps himself under the substantial presence test for tax and immigration purposes.

Noorah101 Nov 2nd 2016 2:11 am

Originally Posted by gwensvilla (Post 12093365)
He isnt on any visa and keeps himself under the substantial presence test for tax and immigration purposes.

I'm not sure why you aren't being more specific. Is he just visiting the USA using the VWP each time?

If he's visiting using the VWP, he can stay up to 90 days per visit. Trips to Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands (Caribbean) do not permit a new 90-day visit upon return to the USA.

He can come to the USA using the VWP and visit the Caribbean WITHIN the 90-day visit, no problem.

Back-to-back VWP trips are not a good idea, as it increases the chances of being turned away at the POE.

If he's only visiting the USA using the VWP sometimes, this is not a tax question at all, since he's spending less than 6 months in the USA in any given calendar year, anyway. There is nothing to ask a CPA about. I'm not sure what your concern is, tax-wise.

I can see your concern about traveling to the Caribbean, but as long as that trip falls within his 90-day stay in the USA, you should be fine.

Rene

Pulaski Nov 2nd 2016 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12093368)
I'm not sure why you aren't being more specific. Is he just visiting the USA using the VWP each time?

If he's visiting using the VWP, he can stay up to 90 days per visit. Trips to Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands (Caribbean) do not permit a new 90-day visit upon return to the USA.

He can come to the USA using the VWP and visit the Caribbean WITHIN the 90-day visit, no problem.

Back-to-back VWP trips are not a good idea, as it increases the chances of being turned away at the POE.

If he's only visiting the USA using the VWP sometimes, this is not a tax question at all, since he's spending less than 6 months in the USA in any given calendar year, anyway. There is nothing to ask a CPA about. I'm not sure what your concern is, tax-wise.

I can see your concern about traveling to the Caribbean, but as long as that trip falls within his 90-day stay in the USA, you should be fine.

Rene

Same advice if he('s retired and) has a B-2 visa - a trip to the Caribbean would have to be within the six months that he was "stamped in to the US" for. .... And again, nothing to ask a CPA about.