Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

usa similar to oz?

usa similar to oz?

Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:17 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: usa similar to oz?

Originally Posted by KJ2007
It's Monday in New Zealand! I think they are 17 hours ahead of where I live. Can you tell I'm reading up?
You're right. It is early Monday morning here.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:27 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
You should be fair then and include all of Australia's dependencies such as Norfolk Island, the Keeling Island, Cartier Island, Christmas Island, and other dependencies down near Antarctica. In fact they range from near the equator all the way down to Antarctica.
No, because then that would become silly. Hawaii and Alaska are full bonafied states within the United States of America, not just territories.
If you wanted to include territories into the whole climate debate, then for the US there's also American Samoa, Guam, the United States Virgin Islands, etc, etc, blah blah blah.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

marcelle38 is an unknown quantity at this point

[thats what i've been reading too. I would think the people are different though and the culture. I'd love to go to oz bot its so far from the uk.QUOTE=another bloody yank;6158281]Just because Brit Expats bitch about the same things no matter where they are doesn't mean the countries are similar!

Seriously, I've read Comments in the Canada and OZ forums that sound exactly like some of the things I read here, driving, fashion, food... Makes me feel better really, it's not just the US![/QUOTE]
Old May 15th 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

well I was always interested in living in oz, I feel that I could probably relate to the people more there than here in florida.
Originally Posted by marcelle38
[thats what i've been reading too. I would think the people are different though and the culture. I'd love to go to oz bot its so far from the uk.QUOTE=another bloody yank;6158281]Just because Brit Expats bitch about the same things no matter where they are doesn't mean the countries are similar!

Seriously, I've read Comments in the Canada and OZ forums that sound exactly like some of the things I read here, driving, fashion, food... Makes me feel better really, it's not just the US!
[/QUOTE]
Old May 16th 2008, 12:51 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

I have lived in both countries and I hated living in Oz but love living in the US. Horses for courses.
Old May 24th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If you ignore some of the gratuitous anti-American cliches and (seemingly obligatory) Aussie boosterism from this post, this is actually fairly accurate. Imagine a place that looks like the US (big cars, suburbs, McDonald's on every corner and all that), but with the humor and sarcasm of Britain, and you won't be that far off.

The main character differences, aside from the humor, are the Aussie mate culture (along with its nasty flip side, the Tall Poppy Syndrome) and the overt racism in Australia, particularly toward Aboriginals. Get people into conversations about their first inhabitants, and you'll hear some fairly shocking stuff that you'd be hard pressed to find in the UK, US, Canada or just about anywhere else in the western world. In respect to this issue, it's a bit like the US, with the clock turned back 40+ years.

Like Americans, Aussies are fiercely nationalistic, with the same best-country-in-the-world insularity you'll find in much of the US. This apparently doesn't preclude them from criticizing American rah-rah flagwaving, even though they are often guilty of doing the same thing -- irony is a funny thing. When they call it the Lucky Country, the subtext is that they are luckier than you, you whinging Pom.

Unlike Americans, Aussies are torn about their national identity. They feel pulled between British heritage, US postwar influence and their own path. As a result, there is often an underlying ambivalence toward Britain and the US, which they simultaneously criticize and absorb. If you want to find a collective of people who hate Britain, just stroll into a London Walkabout pub and you'll find plenty of twentysomething Aussies who will tell you how much better it is back home.

Then there are meat pies vs. hot dogs. Thai food vs. Mexican food. (Aussies have great Thai food, but you can skip the nachos.) Footy, rugby and horse racing, not baseball, basketball and football. Hungry Jacks, not Burger King (same business, different name, and they're everywhere.) They fancy themselves as having a coffee culture, but IMO, they think too highly of their own brew.

For a few cultural insights, it's worth watching Gallipoli and Breaker Morant, and learning about how they reflect and influence the Aussie view of the world and their identity within it. For a sense of some of the Aboriginal issues, Rabbit Proof Fence is well worth your time. And you should see Lantana, just because it's a good film.

Some of what you said has elements of truth. However, I do not agree that Australia is more racist than the US as you imply. Although the plight of aboriginal Australians in some parts of the country is a disgrace, an enormous amount of thought and money is currently being expended to help them. Unfortunately, this is a very difficult issue, there is no silver bullet and it will take more than one generation to fix two centuries of disadvantage. African Americans face similar levels of disadvantage. In the US a staggering 1 in 9 African American males are incarcerated at any given time. However, I'm not so sure the US is as focused on fixing this terrible situation. If Americans were serious about fixing the yawning chasm between the haves (mostly white) and have nots (mostly black), why are minimum wages so pitifully low, why isn't there universal health care and why is the US justice system so biased against the poor and uneducated? There is no question that Australia is a fairer society where the concept of "a fair go for all" still has some meaning. Perhaps Americans are more hypocritical when it comes to racism?

On a more superficial level, during my recent trip to the US I was struck by how pressured and stressed people seem over there. More people walking around talking on their cell phones trying to look assertive. The US economy is obviously larger, margins are lower and competition is greater. Throw in a good dose of "trickle down" economics and you have a pressure cooker environment. Good for consumers but not so good for workers and producers. Australia is lucky in the sense that we can maintain a high material standard of living because China and other Asian economies are able to pay increasingly high prices for our commodity exports.

US power and influence in the world is in steep decline and nowhere is this more apparent than in our part of the world. The US dollar decline is merely a symptom of the disastrous path the Bush Administration has taken in domestic and international affairs. They seriously overestimated the usefulness of US military power as witnessed in Iraq. Meanwhile, trillions are spent on an increasingly irrelevant military machine while the US domestic economy is heading for the rocks. These days real power is economic, not military. In the long run, soft power beats hard power every time and, tragically, the neocons did not understand this. What has Australia got to do with this? Australians are much more comfortable with a dominant America than the emerging world order where China is destined to displace the US (if it hasn't already done so) as the dominant power in Australasia and the South West Pacific. Australians generally like and think they understand Americans and secretly admire some aspects of American culture, despite any chauvanistic banter you might hear in the Walkabout Pub. Who knows what a Chinese hyperpower will be like? Judging by what goes on inside China, it might make Bush's America seem like a place of great enlightenment.
Old May 25th 2008, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

yeh, i've been contemplating moving for 20yrs.. but here i am still. I would like to go to oz but i'm not sure if i'm qualified and probably too old..I just feel from meeting australians here that I could relate better to the humor etc... and i hate that there is no healthcare here I feel its so corrupt.
Old May 25th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to compare "the US" to Australia (or anywhere else, for that matter) is a pretty futile exercise.

The US is a very large and diverse place and, while there are many things that all parts of the US have in common (a falling dollar, a deeply flawed healthcare system, and Federal taxes), in my opinion the differences far outnumber and in most cases outweigh the similarities.
Old May 26th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Trying to compare "the US" to Australia (or anywhere else, for that matter) is a pretty futile exercise.

The US is a very large and diverse place and, while there are many things that all parts of the US have in common (a falling dollar, a deeply flawed healthcare system, and Federal taxes), in my opinion the differences far outnumber and in most cases outweigh the similarities.
You are right. The US is, without a doubt, one of the most diverse countries on earth. Although Australia is geographical similar in size, it only has 6 states and 2 territories. Even so, it's extremely difficult getting the states to coordinate their policies, break down the artificial barriers to trade and emloyment, set nationwide education standards. This list goes on. It must be so much harder in the US where a weak federal government has only limited influence over what goes on in the real world. It must be difficult for one state to legislate a decent minimum wage when the state next door has Dickensian employment standards.

The most successful countries these days tend to be small ones like Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Singapore and Hong Kong. Central governments there have a more local focus and have more direct power. They are more responsive to change and outwardly focused. They tend not to spend much on defense and more on education, healthcare and public infrastructure.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:52 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
You are right. The US is, without a doubt, one of the most diverse countries on earth. Although Australia is geographical similar in size, it only has 6 states and 2 territories. Even so, it's extremely difficult getting the states to coordinate their policies, break down the artificial barriers to trade and emloyment, set nationwide education standards. This list goes on. It must be so much harder in the US where a weak federal government has only limited influence over what goes on in the real world. It must be difficult for one state to legislate a decent minimum wage when the state next door has Dickensian employment standards.

The most successful countries these days tend to be small ones like Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Singapore and Hong Kong. Central governments there have a more local focus and have more direct power. They are more responsive to change and outwardly focused. They tend not to spend much on defense and more on education, healthcare and public infrastructure.
I'm going to disagree with you there.

Actually our Federal Government is not as weak as you state. Think IRS. Our minimum wage is dictated by the Feds but each state can raise the minimum wage as it sees fit. There isn't a big hassle with that. It's easier to make legislation when it is at the local-state level. That's how we want it. However when you look at each of the state laws here, they must pass a test against the Federal laws on the books. There are cases where state law faces a test at the Supreme Court level. It's challenged there and depending on the circumstance the state may loose it's case and the law be seen as un-lawful. That's where the Federal Government gets it's power. Also, employment standards are Federal law and must be adhered to by each state. There might be additions to the Federal Employment law but there is a standard written by Washington that must be followed. Law such as overtime, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Equal Employment Opportunity Reg's, minimum wage, Occupational Safety Hazard laws, and worker's compensation. All of these are mandated by the Federal Government. The state may add laws but not subtract from them as long as they aren't contradictory.

As for education. We do have nationwide standards that must be met. The Federal set's a minimum standard. The states follow through with additional standards. However it's the local government that has the most say about what is being taught in schools. It may not be effectively followed from one school to another but there are standards nationwide that are set.

The most difficult part of our government is getting legislators out of bed with the lobbyist. Once that happens will most likely get underway with a better health care system.
Old May 27th 2008, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Actually our Federal Government is not as weak as you state.
I'd say that both Canada and Australia are more federal (i.e. the individual states/provinces having more power) than the USA, to be honest.
Old May 27th 2008, 4:28 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leviramsey
I'd say that both Canada and Australia are more federal (i.e. the individual states/provinces having more power) than the USA, to be honest.
I disagree. Do your research please before stating something that's not accurate. Unlike Canada and Australia, we are a complete autonomous Federal System. I say complete because as far as I know Australia, and perhaps Canada, have a government position that reports to the Queen. We do not. Our Federation consists of 50 states that self govern each other and are held together by a common national constitution. However the Federal, or National government, has the final say in all things legislative under the sun. States have been sued by the Federal government for unlawful, or unconstitutional, acts passed by state legislative bodies. It is up to the federal government to make final decisions and to guide the legislation of states.

Go back and do your homework.
Old May 27th 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough

I disagree. Do your research please before stating something that's not accurate. Unlike Canada and Australia, we are a complete autonomous Federal System. I say complete because as far as I know Australia, and perhaps Canada, have a government position that reports to the Queen. We do not. Our Federation consists of 50 states that self govern each other and are held together by a common national constitution. However the Federal, or National government, has the final say in all things legislative under the sun. States have been sued by the Federal government for unlawful, or unconstitutional, acts passed by state legislative bodies. It is up to the federal government to make final decisions and to guide the legislation of states.]
Thank you for making my argument for me.

The situation you describe (despite being more than a little unconstitutional) is more or less accurate and cannot be said in any way shape or form to be a federal system.

As I've understood it Canada and Australia both leave more power to the respective states and provinces than the US federal government does (which means more than nothing) to the states.
Old May 27th 2008, 5:58 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leviramsey
As I've understood it Canada and Australia both leave more power to the respective states and provinces than the US federal government does (which means more than nothing) to the states.
Decentralization and greater allocation of authority to states, provinces, etc. would be hallmarks of confederation. Ugacrew has the right definition; what you describe as "federalism" would be described here as "confederation."

Federalism, in the context of US political history, suggests power being stripped away from the states and allocated to the federal level. The US began as a confederation, but scrapped it for a stricter form of federalism because the decentralization model was unsuccessful. The move to federalism delegated more power to the top tier, taking some of it away from the states.

Canada is a confederation, as is Switzerland. Both of these systems are considered to be variants of federalism, but in terms of describing a system in which districts cede sovereignty to a national government, the US system is more federalist than are the others.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:00 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Do your research please before stating something that's not accurate. Unlike Canada and Australia, we are a complete autonomous Federal System. I say complete because as far as I know Australia, and perhaps Canada, have a government position that reports to the Queen.
I think the key thing that you are seemingly unaware of is that the Queen has no bearing on anything, and is 100% irrelevant in both Canada and Australia, and indeed the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.