Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

usa similar to oz?

usa similar to oz?

Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: usa similar to oz?

Originally Posted by Tableland
Unusual really, while Australia is not easy to get into, it's usually an easier option than the US, although most Brits don't even consider the US.
I often wonder about that. We don't qualify for Australia either but we do qualify for 1st priority green cards (EB1-C). We never dreamed we'd even make it in so the US was never on our shortlist of countries to emigrate to. It was on the wishlist but it was just that, wishing. I do find it funny that they'll let someone in to Aus because they are a hairdresser!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcelle38
i'm just curious, it seems similar from peoples discriptions, but i've never been to oz so i wouldnt know
similar from what i've gathered having only visited dingoland once.....shame about their accent
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

i'm just curious, it seems similar from peoples discriptions, but i've never been to oz so i wouldnt know
What an unusual question... If you've never been to Australia, why would it matter if it was similar to the US? have you ever been to the US?

Presumably, if you've never been to the US, why would it matter?

Additionally, if you HAVE been to the US and are formerly from the UK you will know that the US and UK are very different and so why would you expect the US to be similar to Australia?

Having never been to Australia, I can tell you that the US is very different to Australia... Why would I expect otherwise? It is hot in winter and cold in summer and yet santa still wears a big red coat... Wierd!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:47 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Less than 20% is officially desert, with most being scrubland that has some agricultural use. The landscape ranges from mangrove swamps to Mediterranean to tropical to temperate with quite a lot of snow in the Alps in the winter. It has, I think, the lowest population density outside of Antarctica.

The US also has a varied climate, if not quite as varied as Australia's, although large central and SW areas of the US are flat and brown like parts of Australia. But you'd know that.

The main differences that I found is that Australians are less cynical than Americans, have a much better sense of humour, are more capable of original thinking and have a much better knowledge of the world outside their own nation. Australia also has a healthcare system, that most basic of measures of a civilised democracy, and much more annual leave. In addition to this it does not have the US's rather ridiculous obsession with automatic weapons and ammunition and also has superior pension arrangements. Finally, Australians are much more liberal in their attitude to most social matters. And there is much less crime. And pollution.

On the other side, America has a lot more going on in it, has more job opportunities, better pay and (some would disagree) lower taxes. Also, you get to visit cities like New York and Washington with relative ease, which is a bonus in my view.

Visually, I found very few differences, only the US is like a mirror-image because they drive on the right. Fewer bill-boards in Australia. Less in-your-face advertising in Australia. More koalas in Australia. US much more multi-cultural. Um. Cars the same, but more expensive in Australia. Fuel more expensive in Australia. Houses insanely more expensive in Australia - in fact in some cases prohibitively so. US is a republic, and Australia will be very soon. Um. More lard-arses in the States. Good customer service in both, I found. Less paranoia about the future in Australia. Both have armed police. More civil liberties in Australia. Um. Younger drinking age in Australia. Much, much less traffic in Australia. That's it. Can't think of any more.
According to the Beeb yesterday Australia is one of the worlds biggest per capita polluter.

I've been to both and liked both although the fact Australian play rugby league tips it for me.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:49 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

The US also has a varied climate, if not quite as varied as Australia's, although large central and SW areas of the US are flat and brown like parts of Australia. But you'd know that.
Given that the US includes Hawaii and Alaska, I do believe it's more varied than Australia.

Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:07 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Follow this LINK to compare the two. I've always found it great when having arguments such as which country has the highest gun crime rate per capita. Oops.....

Last edited by Phychlone; Apr 4th 2008 at 8:09 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

hulk_hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia doesn't have any where near the kind of ethnic diversity that the US has, but that will change in the future I imagine.

USA
White 73.9% (most european ancestries)
African American 12.4%
Asian 4.4%
Native American and Alaskan Native 0.8%
Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander 0.1%
Other/multiracial 8.3%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 14.8%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...-by-County.jpg
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We don't say 'rego'
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phychlone
Follow this LINK to compare the two. I've always found it great when having arguments such as which country has the highest gun crime rate per capita. Oops.....
When one bans guns ownership and the other doesn't ..
I think the answer would be easy
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We don't say 'rego'
Which mean ???
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Which mean ???
Registration
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:53 pm
Ray

Registration
what dumb ass twats ...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
what dumb ass twats ...
Eloquently put!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
what dumb ass twats ...
'twattos'
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

'twattos'
Avro Sall !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.