Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA SIM CARD PLAN Only - with No expiry??

USA SIM CARD PLAN Only - with No expiry??

Old Jul 20th 2017, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA SIM CARD PLAN Only - with No expiry??

Hello
I am likely to be spending a lot of time in-between the UK and USA - However I need a USA SIM Card with local number which I can then also receive calls and text messages on when I am back in the UK – I need the SIM card NOT to expire and also for it to be able to accept texts etc for automated verification systems such as with credit cards
I have reserached this for prepaid plans but unless i am looking at the wrong thing it seems to be very expensive on a monthly basis

I was hoping for something similar to here in the UK whereby a SIM from say 3 is purchased and then lasts literally forever as long as a text message or call received every few months
Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2017, 9:02 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA SIM CARD PLAN Only - with No expiry??

I'm not aware of a similar plan to how that works in the UK, it's basically a 30 day rolling plan you get as far as i know.

When i first moved i used AT&T Go Phone, i think the lowest rate was $30 a month

https://www.att.com/cellphones/prepa...e-prepaid.html & https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans.html
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:48 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Google voice might be a good option for you.

Get a gmail account and then a free USA number comes with it. With the app on your phone/tablet you can receive calls and texts literally anywhere you have a data connection.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 10:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

T-mobile is also a good option for when you are outside the USA. You can receive calls/texts and have 3g data. My son is currently in Europe with his friends - they all have t-mobile and we (parents) can all phone them. They use whatsapp to call us back since it is using the data.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks- will look into this further
Old Jul 21st 2017, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

Free cellular service if you have a USA address that qualifies:
https://www.freedompop.com/
Uses Three back-end. I've had a SIM card from them for over 6 months. I get free service for 200mins/500 texts/200MB data per month, plus 100 global minutes for calling UK. Also works through WiFi. Their support says service will work when you are in UK (though I haven't tried this): https://support.freedompop.com/app/a...066/kw/roaming

Last edited by chuckles67; Jul 21st 2017 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

So the best option imo is to register for a Google Voice account in the US which will give you a free local number and then link that to a Google Hangouts account and use the hangouts app to make and receive unlimited free US & Canada calls and SMS over your existing phones data.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Google voice might be a good option for you.

Get a gmail account and then a free USA number comes with it. With the app on your phone/tablet you can receive calls and texts literally anywhere you have a data connection.
Just saw this, +1
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:22 pm
Austin. TX.

just wanted to add that you need to be in the USA to do this, with a US gmail account.

You can have as many as you want.

I originally got a skype number which ended up being a very bad move. No personalised voice mail message which is a complete no-no for a business line. I then got a google voice number and if I didn't pick up the skype call then it got forwarded to google voice where I not only had a personalised message but they give you transcripts of messages left and send you an email.

Skype numbers are terrible. just awful. avoid and the buggers charge you for this nonsense too.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:35 am
Just Joined

ulape is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Straighttalk for my mobile phone when I'm in the US. I'm usually there 2-3 times a year, a fortnight each time. You need to buy a SIM, but once you have it, it remains allocated for as long as you want. You can buy activation packages in the US; generally for 30 days; voice only, voice+data, data only, and voice+data with international dialling.

It's available from any Walmart store, so easy to pick up. My first package gave me, for 30 days, unlimited voice, texts, and 5G data. All for $45 including tax.

A vast improvement over burnable Tracfones, which is what I did previously.