Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA Schooling for a 15 yr old?

USA Schooling for a 15 yr old?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold
Default USA Schooling for a 15 yr old?

Hi,i am bringing my 15 yr old son with me to the USA and was wondering what the exact facts are about schooling.Will he be automatically put down a year?.Any other info anyone can provide me with will be very muchly appreciated,Chris

Last edited by Rete; Jun 2nd 2005 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Moved As It Is Not An Immigration Issue
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:55 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Schooling for a 15 yr old?

Originally Posted by chukka
Hi,i am bringing my 15 yr old son with me to the USA and was wondering what the exact facts are about schooling.Will he be automatically put down a year?.Any other info anyone can provide me with will be very muchly appreciated,Chris
You should PM Woodsey or Eskimo, they went through all this.
Good luck!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:04 pm
Dr.Jekyl

Huh?

"chukka" <member37937@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Hi,i am bringing my 15 yr old son with me to the USA and was wondering
    > what the exact facts are about schooling.Will he be automatically put
    > down a year?.Any other info anyone can provide me with will be very
    > muchly appreciated,Chris
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chukka
We brought 3 school age kids with us when we moved here in January. One 15, one 14 and a 7 year old. We have actually been quite shocked at the quality of the schools here in Texas as we were told by everyone that our kids would be streets ahead of their US counterparts, but as it's turned out our 7 year old is being held back in Grade 1 and the 14 year old really struggled to make the grade to go up to High School next semester.

The main issue with the 14 and 15 year old's is the difference in Maths education. Our 15 year old always had good grades in England but has come here and failed Maths. When spending a very long and painful Sunday afternoon going through why she was failing it became very clear that in England they were taught how to use a calculator for everything. Here they are not allowed to use calculators so they have struggled on even basic mental arithmatic.

We had problems enrolling my 15 year old into high school to start with because we didn't have enough documentation from her UK school and it took almost 6 weeks for them to send it through to her high school here. Please make sure you come armed with anything you can from his old school (reports, teacher assessments etc).

Also, here in Texas they have to have a Hepatitus B shot before being allowed to start school. Check the State you are going to and get all his shots up to date. The Hep B is a 3 part shot but he can attend after just having the first shot.

Please PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Good Luck,
Paul
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul_TX
The main issue with the 14 and 15 year old's is the difference in Maths education. Our 15 year old always had good grades in England but has come here and failed Maths. When spending a very long and painful Sunday afternoon going through why she was failing it became very clear that in England they were taught how to use a calculator for everything. Here they are not allowed to use calculators so they have struggled on even basic mental arithmatic.
so very true ! ours had A's in the UK and is at an F now and going to summer school to catch up - even then she will still be behind - Chris PM woodsey she can help
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 3 school age kids with us when we moved here in January. One 15, one 14 and a 7 year old. We have actually been quite shocked at the quality of the schools here in Texas as we were told by everyone that our kids would be streets ahead of their US counterparts, but as it's turned out our 7 year old is being held back in Grade 1 and the 14 year old really struggled to make the grade to go up to High School next semester.

We had problems enrolling my 15 year old into high school to start with because we didn't have enough documentation from her UK school and it took almost 6 weeks for them to send it through to her high school here. Please make sure you come armed with anything you can from his old school (reports, teacher assessments etc).

Also, here in Texas they have to have a Hepatitus B shot before being allowed to start school. Check the State you are going to and get all his shots up to date. The Hep B is a 3 part shot but he can attend after just having the first shot.

Please PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Good Luck,
Paul

You should be able to refuse to have your child immunised. You have to sign a form. However, if there is a problem your child could be refused entry into school. Need to read up more about this. But, not having an immunisation shouldn't be a reason to be excluded from school.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You should be able to refuse to have your child immunised. You have to sign a form. However, if there is a problem your child could be refused entry into school. Need to read up more about this. But, not having an immunisation shouldn't be a reason to be excluded from school.

We got letters from each school following on from their 1st shot saying that the 2nd one would have to be done (and proof provided) within x number of days otherwise they cannot attend after that date!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eskimo
so very true ! ours had A's in the UK and is at an F now and going to summer school to catch up - even then she will still be behind - Chris PM woodsey she can help

i have done mate,but she said the pub was open and would get back to me later,hic
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:01 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to refuse to have your child immunised.
Why would you want to do that? Even in the UK now the BMA are recommending that kids be vaccinated against Hep.B

-
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:00 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Why would you want to do that? Even in the UK now the BMA are recommending that kids be vaccinated against Hep.B

-
Some people prefer not to for religious reasons or they just don't trust what the government put in the vaccines. Some parents don't like the idea of injecting "anti-freeze" into their kids. Not sure why. It's bloody hot over here
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious why you would refuse such an important immuni'z'ation? Hep can cause death. If I had a child or a grandchild I would want them to be vaccinated against this just as I would want them vaccinated against polio.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant

-
Because its my choice to have my child immunised. Not someone else's.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Just curious why you would refuse such an important immuni'z'ation? Hep can cause death. If I had a child or a grandchild I would want them to be vaccinated against this just as I would want them vaccinated against polio.
And exactly how are they exposed to hepatitis? That's really my question.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:21 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

And exactly how are they exposed to hepatitis? That's really my question.
From the vaccine itself
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We got letters from each school following on from their 1st shot saying that the 2nd one would have to be done (and proof provided) within x number of days otherwise they cannot attend after that date!
Because you'd already started the process. If you'd sign a form to not have immunisations, then they'd have no recourse.

Before everyone starts jumping on my bandwagon. I have immunised my child in the UK. But, now that we're in the US all of a sudden we need a chicken pox vaccination? I mean WTF! And I'm supposed to cower and submit because a 100 children die annually from chicken pox. Do I want my child to die? NO! But for christ's sake how much medicine do we need to put into our kids? Isn't it bad enough that meat is full of hormones, antibiotics and all kinds of other lovely stuff? Maybe I should bubble wrap my child so she's not exposed to anything. Honestly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.