Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA property purchase / LA

USA property purchase / LA

Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA property purchase / LA

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Well, if you have a very short history then your interest rate might be 4% for the sake of example, but waiting a year to get history could drop it to 3.5%. That 0.5% adds up over a 15/30 year mortgage. Look at the long term figures!

Paying twice monthly instead of monthly also makes a big difference to the overall amount paid.
if it were my option, I'd take a 4% interest rate now rather than waiting to see if rates go up. Because let's face it, they can't come down!

Far better than messing about with that weird idea of paying twice a month is just to pay down the principle aggressively at the beginning. With rates so low, take a 30 year term to set your minimum payment, but try to pay it off at the rate you can afford. No reason you can't pay off a 30yr loan in 15yrs if you've got no ppp.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:37 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
As far as lawyer fees are concerned - Unlike the UK - in the States it's not customary to involve a lawyer in the negotiations (so there's a saving )
Depends on the state....but in CA, yes.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Depends on the state....but in CA, yes.
Thanks for that clarification "fatbrit" -
Truth be told - I only have direct experience with California, where it's rare for an attorney to be involved, and about which the OP was inquiring.
But now I've learned that in New York it's a requirement!
The US is so unlike the UK - different State, (often) different law.
Can you imagine Cornwall and Northants. having different laws?
On the other hand - maybe they do
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jetlagguy
I currently own a place in London, and am well above water with the mortgage on it. Plan would be to get a few flat mates to rent the other bedrooms and keep a room in it for when I need to be in London. I don't really want to sell it, but ultimately I could do if I had to and then downsize to a rented studio flat for when I need to be over here.
One thing you need to look into is if your current UK lender is OK with you keeping the property and mortgage in the UK but moving abroad and renting (part) of it out. A lot of lenders seem to have an issue with that.

I had no ends of problems with that and ended up having to sell my UK property are a pretty substantial loss. Oh, and unless you're back in the UK on a very regular basis you'll need some sort of property management both by law and for simply practical reasons.