Reload this Page >

USA, money matters.

USA, money matters.

Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:56 am
Just Joined

pete6256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question USA, money matters.

Hey,

I'm looking to move over to the US for 12-18 months as part of the J1 career training programme, in a relatively inexpensive part of the East coast, and I was wondering if anyone can help me understand the financial side of things a bit better.

I will have a job that would offer a good salary to live on, but I'm unsure about the basic overheads:

To begin with, I'm thinking:

£250 for the airfare to get over there.
(+£250 in reserve in case I need to come back in a hurry)
£300 for the first months rent (+£300 deposit)
£500 for food, initial expenses etc.
£??? I hear a pre-condition of relocating is purchasing of health insurance, anyone have any idea how much basic coverage will cost?
£??? I'm intending to live close enough to where I work so I won't need a car, but just incase, can anyone suggest how much it might cost to buy, tax, insure, and run for a month?

I know that break down seems a bit basic, can anyone who has moved over to the US, or got a Visa like this suggest anything else I might have missed out? Or point out any of my estimations that seem a bit low?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Sweetgirlie will become famous soon enoughSweetgirlie will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: USA, money matters.

Hiya Pete

I sent you a PM. I'm starting my internship at the end of April in LA.

Sinead
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:40 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default Re: USA, money matters.

Originally Posted by pete6256 View Post
Hey,
I will have a job that would offer a good salary to live on, but I'm unsure about the basic overheads:
They should offer you health insurance then. It can cost anywhere from $60 a month to $100's a month depending on the cover you want and how good their benefits package is. If you can't get reasonable insurance through the company then you are going to be looking down the barrel of $300+ a month. You'll be better off taking out some travel insurance from a UK source.

To begin with, I'm thinking:

(+£250 in reserve in case I need to come back in a hurry)
Buy a return with a longest return date possible. It will be cheaper. It will cost $100 to change the date of the return ticket.

£300 for the first months rent (+£300 deposit)
£500 for food, initial expenses etc.
This will depend on where you are moving. Downtown big east coast cities (Boston, Balitmore) can get quite expensive. $1000 a month rent won't get you much. Typically deposits are one month in addition to one month in advance, so figure $2000 for the first month.

You won't be able to get much else (cable, internet, phone etc) until you have a social security number.

£??? I'm intending to live close enough to where I work so I won't need a car, but just incase, can anyone suggest how much it might cost to buy, tax, insure, and run for a month?
Depends where you are moving to. Downtown in a big city you may be alright, but anywhere else and you'll find that "close" can be a 30 minute + walk and there is no guarantee of a pavement. Then, what happens when you want to go shopping? Big cities, downtown, public transport is there - but not great - but away from the cities you'll be screwed.

I know that break down seems a bit basic, can anyone who has moved over to the US, or got a Visa like this suggest anything else I might have missed out? Or point out any of my estimations that seem a bit low?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Getting a car can be a real PITA and the complications will depend on state. Best let us all know where abouts you are heading.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:48 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes - dont undersetimate the car thing. I hadnt appreciated how few pavements there were oustide of 'downtown'. Unless you want to walk verges you could be quite stuck - especially if you want to go out to the cinema, shopping, etc as they often have no walkways around them either - just a car park in front.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look at www.craigslist.com for your destination if it is listed.
On here you will find (hopefully) cars for sale, apartments/rooms for rent.
Will give you a good indication of what to expect.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:00 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth living with some roommates as they can handle the phone , cable, etc and the deposit/credit check. Check around on craigslists for apartments to share.

£250 will not buy you an emergency airline ticket home. Those are always last minute and more like $1000. Getting the long return with a change option is probably better.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Just double all your expected figures ....

rent a car for the first month ..
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete6256 View Post
Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight.

But seriously.....try looking up a few flight prices....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 View Post
Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight.

But seriously.....try looking up a few flight prices....
Depends when the OP is flying. Flights out of Norwich are 120 quid to the west coast, plus taxes. total £320.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
Depends when the OP is flying. Flights out of Norwich are 120 quid to the west coast, plus taxes. total £320.
Yep, you can fly next week out of LHR with BA to New York for £265 or Dulles for £300
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Great fun in those Sopwith Camels
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends where on the east coast your looking, around here in MA, you couldn't even find a cardboard box for that kind of money, and getting a place usually needs first, last + deposit.

You'll want a car, maybe get away with not having one in Boston, but public transport ain't that cheap.

Winter, expect if using oil for heat, $300-400 a month, couple hundred in electric during the summer for AC, less if living in a closet etc.

Don't forget, good chunk of utilities will want a deposit if you don't have a US credit history.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy View Post
Yep, you can fly next week out of LHR with BA to New York for £265 or Dulles for £300
The OP clearly stated he is going to the East coast.......
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 View Post
The OP clearly stated he is going to the East coast.......
New York and DC were on East Coast last I looked
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're correct, of course. I believe for a moment I had become geographically dyslexic.

I think I have brainfreeze. The missus had a cold last week, maybe I'm getting it.

I hereby give a general advisory that anything I post in the next few days may be complete rubbish (no comments like "no change there then", please ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.