Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA Forever?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Will you stay in the USA?
Could never go back to the UK, love it here too much
33.33%
Probably going to stay here but more because of my spouse or job
30.00%
Would like to retire to the UK but plan to spend most of my life here
11.67%
Wouldn't mind going back now.
25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

USA Forever?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:29 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Forever?

Originally Posted by britvic
I just feel so trapped sometimes
Exactly how I would word it. I indeed feel trapped. Before I could see her whenever I wanted (her mother is too busy doing her own thing so me having my daughter gave her the time to do what she needed), but now, I just don't know when I'll get the chance.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:29 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by rincewind
She's 10 years old now. She feels all grown up going to big school. We talk every weekend and she was here for last Christmas but that was a killer. She really broke down and cried when we got to the airport for her flight home. It broke my heart. She's like her Dad, she bottles up emotion and won't let it show. So for her to cry like she did plucked a few heart strings. Makes me well up just thinking about it.

Talking about it now makes me want to jump on a plane and see her. Give her a big surprise to see her Dad.

I remember one trip back to the UK, I went to meet her from school. I was waiting outside her class and the bell rang and she came running out to see me. I was crying and all the moms around me started shedding

We're sort of planning for her to come over during the summer hols, but her mother is so unpredictable. Plus my fund situation is up and down so who knows.

I have a feeling they've moved recently too and I don't know where they are. Been trying to call all week and getting nothing.

Mate Id give you a big ol' shoulder thump or something. That sounds ****ing gutwrenching to be perfectly frank. I'd lose a leg or two before contemplating losing my daughter so i have no idea how you cope.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:32 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Mate Id give you a big ol' shoulder thump or something.
I need one. How long will it take you to get here?
i have no idea how you cope.
My wife gets me through the worst. But there are times when nothing helps and you just have to ride it out. If I dwelt on it too long, I believe I would go insane.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:03 pm
ImHere

I need one. How long will it take you to get here?
About 6 hours by car....be right there hang in there me old china!

My wife gets me through the worst. But there are times when nothing helps and you just have to ride it out. If I dwelt on it too long, I believe I would go insane.
Hmmm. I know that feeling but for other reasons. Life, as they say, is shit at times. But you just know that she'll be waiting for you one day....soon she'll be old enough to make her own decisions and she'll come for her dad no doubt about that, just make sure you make it easy for her to get to you.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:08 pm
You Are All Diseased

just make sure you make it easy for her to get to you.
I have to say, if she called me tomorrow and told me she wanted me back in the UK, I'd kiss this hypocritical hell-hole good bye.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:12 pm
ImHere

I have to say, if she called me tomorrow and told me she wanted me back in the UK, I'd kiss this hypocritical hell-hole good bye.
Im guessing you didnt vote to stay here forever then.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:15 pm
You Are All Diseased

Im guessing you didnt vote to stay here forever then.
Not what gives you that idea?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:01 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've went back for my first visit home in three years. I'd forgotten how pretty England is and loved being back in London. I can't say that England feels like home anymore and coming back here just sort of felt "normal" and I didn't really have any feelings either way.

That being said, if Mr Sibsie were, God forbid, to drop out of the sky, I really don't think I'd stay here. Home is wherever he is and without him, then this wouldn't be home.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

I could stay I could go back. No big deal really either way as long as my family were with me. We havent seen everything we want to in the US so it'd be a shame to go before that but then theres plenty to see in the rest of the world yet as well.
thats the attitude we have......we will try it for a while....but there are other adventures we want to have.......tried to karma you for your post about your son......my parents went to the us when i was 23!.....and i know how hard it was for them to do it....but i am proud that they decided to live their dream
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've went back for my first visit home in three years. I'd forgotten how pretty England is and loved being back in London. I can't say that England feels like home anymore and coming back here just sort of felt "normal" and I didn't really have any feelings either way.

That being said, if Mr Sibsie were, God forbid, to drop out of the sky, I really don't think I'd stay here. Home is wherever he is and without him, then this wouldn't be home.
When I moved to the US I only planned to stay for a couple of years and then go back. Now, 4 years, 3 kids and a house later I would find it tough going back. (although until I get a green card sorted, there is still I chance I may have to go back)

Every time I am back in the UK I miss the place less. -- (although still miss the footie on Saturday, not quite the same watching on TV or listening on the internet) The last time I arrived back in the US, it felt good to be "home". I could even forgive the horrific NY roads as at least I wasn't stuck in endless traffic jams like in London!!

Asssuming we do stay here I imagine it will be wierd taking the kids over and showing them where we used to live.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:17 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm long overdue for a return visit. Been 4 years since I last went back. Trouble is that everytime I talk to a travel agent or look at a airline web site, something happens within 24 hours that ends up costing me more than the plane ticket would have.

It's also been 12 years since I last saw summer in the UK.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
I was really suprised to read on a thread entitled "Are you going to stay in the UK" that the overwhelming majority of Americans absolutely loved life in the UK and couldn't imagine going back to live in the USA.
Most of the American ex-pats enthused about the NHS, BBC TV, 20+ days a year off work etc etc.

It's amazing isn't it? I used to be an American Expat in the UK, although I was seriously pining to get back to the States.....somehow I thought it was going to be better here. It isn't of course. In the long run its just very different. But, you certainly do get a good look at things from both perspectives.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

It's also been 12 years since I last saw summer in the UK.
You're not the only one. Each year the entire UK population wait patiently for summer, occasionaly the rain stops for a couple of days in June but no sign of a summer yet!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

When the plains comeing into land, it's normally dawn, just looking out the window at British soil, beautiful green fields, fills me up every time!!! nothing like that comeing back, so for me here is not home, no matter how much more stuff I acquire.

Last edited by britvic; Apr 13th 2005 at 6:44 am.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 6:57 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: USA Forever?

Originally Posted by britvic
When the plains comeing into land, it's normally dawn, just looking out the window at British soil, beautiful green fields, fills me up every time!!! nothing like that comeing back, so for me here is not home, no matter how much more stuff I acquire.
I know exactly how you feel...been flying back to England every Summer for the last ten years and I love to see all the fields looking like a patchwork quilt, even better if the plane is in a holding pattern and you get to see all the London landmarks and how the River Thames winds around the city...last time I flew over we flew directly above Windsor Castle and I saw the new Wembley Arch for the first time, I didn't know what it was until another passenger told me. I *love* arriving at Heathrow.

My favourite bit is when I drive up the M40 and just after High Wycombe heading towards Oxford you drive through the bit where the motorway cuts into a large hill....as you descend you get this most amazing view of the open countryside for miles and miles....often spotting hot air balloons gliding gracefully through the air too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.