Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA Forever?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Will you stay in the USA?
Could never go back to the UK, love it here too much
33.33%
Probably going to stay here but more because of my spouse or job
30.00%
Would like to retire to the UK but plan to spend most of my life here
11.67%
Wouldn't mind going back now.
25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

USA Forever?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:20 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default USA Forever?

Last night I went on an American Expats forum, for yanks who live in Britain.
I was really suprised to read on a thread entitled "Are you going to stay in the UK" that the overwhelming majority of Americans absolutely loved life in the UK and couldn't imagine going back to live in the USA.
Most of the American ex-pats enthused about the NHS, BBC TV, 20+ days a year off work etc etc.
So are all/any of the British expats on here quite so passionate about staying in the USA? Do you feel completely accustomed to life over here now and could never dream of going back? Or does the thought of never living in the UK again for the rest of your life make you feel sad?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:29 am
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice
Default Re: USA Forever?

I'd probably be off home if, God forbid, anything happened to Michelle. Might change after we have kids.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:36 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The more and more I am here, the more I wanna go back
yet, the more and more settled I become here.

It makes no sense I know.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:47 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The more and more I am here, the more I wanna go back
yet, the more and more settled I become here.

It makes no sense I know.

I know exactly what you mean. I constantly look at the UK with my rose tints specs on.
I was in a Borders bookstore at the weekend though and they had a copy of OK! magazine I flipped through it and felt a massive relief that I wasn't living in the UK anymore.
Today though, if I could go back to my old job and flat for a while, I think I probably would.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:50 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
I know exactly what you mean. I constantly look at the UK with my rose tints specs on.
I was in a Borders bookstore at the weekend though and they had a copy of OK! magazine I flipped through it and felt a massive relief that I wasn't living in the UK anymore.
Today though, if I could go back to my old job and flat for a while, I think I probably would.
Could've been worse. You might have been flicking through the Daily Mail!

NC Penguin
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:57 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking 'retire in continental Europe'.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:12 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: USA Forever?

I certainly don't want to stay in New Jersey until I die! I can't bear the long, bitterly cold winters here in the North East but on the other hand, it might be nice to live in southern California or perhaps even Hawaii - which I guess is too expensive to even contemplate...

We left the UK purely because my husband was offered an overseas posting; this is our second, we were in South East Asia before our arrival in the States and I would go back like a shot.

I love going 'home' to England and I miss my family dreadfully (feeling a bit 'down' today as my visiting cousins flew home to Blighty last night and my husband flew to London and he will be overseas for a month). I'd love to go on another expat posting - anywhere in the world - and eventually retire to the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:37 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I certainly don't want to stay in New Jersey until I die! I can't bear the long, bitterly cold winters here in the North East but on the other hand, it might be nice to live in southern California or perhaps even Hawaii - which I guess is too expensive to even contemplate...

We left the UK purely because my husband was offered an overseas posting; this is our second, we were in South East Asia before our arrival in the States and I would go back like a shot.

I love going 'home' to England and I miss my family dreadfully (feeling a bit 'down' today as my visiting cousins flew home to Blighty last night and my husband flew to London and he will be overseas for a month). I'd love to go on another expat posting - anywhere in the world - and eventually retire to the UK.
Yeah I know what you mean, the winters around the NE are a bit much. I keep saying theres no point in emigrating if you don't get better weather!
I would like to go to California too, there is also a small chance that we may spend a year in Germany because of my husband degree course and I'm pretty happy at the thought of going to Europe and experiencing life in another country.
Is your husband a broker? Only my friends partner is a broker and he went to Singapore and then came over here for a bit and is now back in London.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:01 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Last night I went on an American Expats forum, for yanks who live in Britain.
I was really suprised to read on a thread entitled "Are you going to stay in the UK" that the overwhelming majority of Americans absolutely loved life in the UK and couldn't imagine going back to live in the USA.
Most of the American ex-pats enthused about the NHS, BBC TV, 20+ days a year off work etc etc.
So are all/any of the British expats on here quite so passionate about staying in the USA? Do you feel completely accustomed to life over here now and could never dream of going back? Or does the thought of never living in the UK again for the rest of your life make you feel sad?

After spending a few days in the UK last week, I felt very sad to leave it, and hate the thought of never going back permanently. However, I came here with my US husband because he has family here and I have none in the UK, so I hope that time will change the way I currently feel about the USA !
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:01 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the thought of never living in the U.K again, but strangely have no great desire to go back right now, although my hubby (the USC) would go back in a heartbeat, he loved living there. I'm having difficulty feeling "settled" right now, not sure if that's because hubbys tour here is just for another 2 years, maybe i'm too scared of putting down roots because I know we will have to move again
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:18 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, can't imagine living here forever. The thought of retiring here is scary. The problem is I'm quite happy being here for now, but the longer we stay the more the US becomes a forever home for our kids, and then what do we do?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:57 am
ImHere

I could stay I could go back. No big deal really either way as long as my family were with me. We havent seen everything we want to in the US so it'd be a shame to go before that but then theres plenty to see in the rest of the world yet as well.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Is your husband a broker? Only my friends partner is a broker and he went to Singapore and then came over here for a bit and is now back in London.
No, he heads up all the global IT projects for his company...but his clients are all the major investment banks. We spent a few years in Singapore ourselves before my husband took his current job in NYC.

I just don't want to grow old in the States....don't want to be like those old ladies driving huge Oldsmobiles and can't drive or park the damn things and worry about the price of prescriptions.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment I see no reason to move back to the UK at any point. I love my life here and although I miss my family back home, I have had no desire to visit in the almost two years since I left. I honestly believe that I would feel homesick towards the US should I take a visit "home".
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I just don't want to grow old in the States....don't want to be like those old ladies driving huge Oldsmobiles :
Well thats one worry less ..They no longer make Oldsmobiles....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.