British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USA Driving licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usa-driving-licence-844203/)

Jerni Oct 3rd 2014 10:45 pm

Re: USA Driving licence

Forgot to add, I was being silly about the road width, it was easily wide enough to not have to worry about needing to do a 5-point turn. They want to see you can do it without touching the curb and using the proper signaling. If they ask for a 3-point turn they expect you to do it, doing a u-turn would probably get you some points.

Pulaski Oct 3rd 2014 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by smarty156 (Post 11427359)
.... Next thing on my list is to swat up on the NYS driving test.

Rpjs - did you have to do the 5 hour course? Where did you do it, what does it cost and how quickly could you get booked on it?

Everyone doing the NY test has to do the 5hrs drivers ed. Most of the people in my class were either Hispanic and probably understood little English, were drunks going through relicencing, or other who had been ticketed and were doing a drivers ed instead of getting points on their license.

ubernathan Oct 4th 2014 10:18 pm

One tip is to go look for you-tube videos of the test route.

rpjs Oct 4th 2014 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerni (Post 11427371)
I did my driving test in NYS earlier this year. I had to do the 5hr class, I did mine at AAA it cost me around $50. They ran the class several times a week so it was easy to get booked in.

I did mine at my driving instructor's office but as Jerni says there are lots of places that do it.

If you don't want to go that route, you'll have to bring a license driver with you.
That's right - you as a learner are not allowed to drive to the test, or indeed in any NYS DMV designated test area. You're not even supposed to start the engine until the examiner tells you to!

Edit to add: whilst there are plenty of places to do the five hour course, I understand that the closer you are to NYC, the longer the wait for an appointment to take the road test. Consequently people from the city often go to Westchester or Putnam counties to do the road test. I did mine at Yorktown Heights in Westchester. I booked about a month in advance through my driving instructor who provided his car, gave me an hour's brush-up lesson before-hand concentrating on the parallel parking and 3-point turns and then drove me to the test site.

Pulaski Oct 4th 2014 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11428033)
...... Edit to add: whilst there are plenty of places to do the five hour course, I understand that the closer you are to NYC, the longer the wait for an appointment to take the road test. Consequently people from the city often go to Westchester or Putnam counties to do the road test. .....

That's right. I lived in Westchester Co, actually Valhalla, and back in 2001 it was easy to book the 5hr drivers ed in late November, just a couple of weeks after I arrived, but a local road test was going to be late February or March, 3+ months later! :blink: ..... Mrs P looked on line for me, looking further and further North and West, until she found that I could do the test the following week (early December) in Herkimer. :)

SkyBlueInOregon Oct 7th 2014 5:35 am

The Oregon drive test is really difficult! I was okay with the eight right turns but they also wanted me to turn left three times!:wink_smile:
The manoeuvre was to pull over, reverse a little and then drive off.

If you can drive in the UK and have a basic understanding of US roads you can pass your test. Do add in extra looking over your shoulder rather than using the perfectly good mirrors though, they seem to like that.

1206butler Nov 20th 2014 6:06 pm

Pulaski's advice, certainly in our case, is spot on in Georgia. It was not physically possible for us to complete our driving test within the required 30 day period of arriving in Georgia. It took a couple of weeks to get our social security numbers, then drove up to Cumming (don't laugh), Georgia (our local preferred DMV center) to take the knowledge test, which was fairly straight forward, but then the earliest date available to take our practical test was outside of the 30 day limit.

Although we were in the "legal grey area" we were extra careful and figured if we did get stopped we could at least produce our temporary Georgia license (you get that after completing the knowledge test) together with our full UK license. We were also fully insured to drive on our UK license and could also show them our appointment slip for our road test. So "in theory" hopefully we had enough paperwork in the glove box to satisfy an officer of the lewer.. but also glad we never had to test that theory. Luckily we both passed the practical driving test first time, which looking back was easy enough, but nerves don't make it feel that way at the time.

Also, contrary to many posts on the forum, we were never asked to surrender our UK driving licenses so still carry both.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11423917)
All of the above (Bob and Sir Eccles)

In many (most?) states it may be difficult if not impossible to book and complete the drivers ed, and then book and take the road test within the prescribed time, which leaves you in a legally grey area. Generally you will be OK to drive despite technically being outside of the period to get a local license, but you should (i) be extra careful, and (ii) in the event you are stopped by the police, you should make certain you can prove you have used your best endeavours to get a local license but have been prevented (only) by a lack of drivers ed and/or testing time slots from completing the process. BTW you can often complete the road test sooner by going out into a small town in a rural area to take it.

Samxboy Nov 20th 2014 6:14 pm

You might want to try New Jersey. No driving test required, just a eye and theory test....pretty easy really.

1206butler Nov 20th 2014 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Samxboy (Post 11479025)
You might want to try New Jersey. No driving test required, just a eye and theory test....pretty easy really.

Wow! what is the standard of driving like in New Jersey then? It's terrible around here.

rpjs Nov 20th 2014 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1206butler (Post 11479031)
Wow! what is the standard of driving like in New Jersey then? It's terrible around here.

I think he meant that NJ is (I think) the only state that will accept a UK licence in lieu of taking the road test.

Samxboy Nov 20th 2014 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by 1206butler (Post 11479031)

Biggest challenge is avoiding pot holes & taxi drivers! Best to avoid driving altogether which is of course entirely possible and preferable in a big city. Drive defensively and you'll be fine!

1206butler Nov 20th 2014 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11479034)
I think he meant that NJ is (I think) the only state that will accept a UK licence in lieu of taking the road test.

ah right!... that makes more sense :blink: