British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USA Driving licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usa-driving-licence-844203/)

Goodlad Sep 30th 2014 8:59 pm

USA Driving licence

Hi all
Can someone please explain the process of converting UK full driving licence to a USA one?
Your help is appreciated
Thx

sir_eccles Sep 30th 2014 9:23 pm

Re: USA Driving licence

Originally Posted by Goodlad (Post 11423872)
Hi all
Can someone please explain the process of converting UK full driving licence to a USA one?
Your help is appreciated
Thx

There is no such thing as a US license. States issue their own licenses and each state has its own rules. Most will require a computer multi choice test as well as a trivial round the block practical test. You generally cannot convert a UK license.

Which state?

Bob Sep 30th 2014 9:27 pm

You search out the state DMV/RMV/BMV whatever that state calls is, requirement for taking the test and you do the test, from scratch.

You usually have between 10/30/60/90 days to get the local license once you move, depending on the state. Some states require doing x hours of drivers ed, but most you just book a slot and take a multi choice theory test and then doing a practical test.

Pulaski Sep 30th 2014 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11423903)
You search out the state DMV/RMV/BMV whatever that state calls is, requirement for taking the test and you do the test, from scratch.

You usually have between 10/30/60/90 days to get the local license once you move, depending on the state. .....

All of the above (Bob and Sir Eccles)

In many (most?) states it may be difficult if not impossible to book and complete the drivers ed, and then book and take the road test within the prescribed time, which leaves you in a legally grey area. Generally you will be OK to drive despite technically being outside of the period to get a local license, but you should (i) be extra careful, and (ii) in the event you are stopped by the police, you should make certain you can prove you have used your best endeavours to get a local license but have been prevented (only) by a lack of drivers ed and/or testing time slots from completing the process. BTW you can often complete the road test sooner by going out into a small town in a rural area to take it.

MarylandNed Oct 1st 2014 10:42 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11423901)
There is no such thing as a US license. States issue their own licenses and each state has its own rules. Most will require a computer multi choice test as well as a trivial round the block practical test. You generally cannot convert a UK license.

Which state?

And, to be consistent, there's no such thing as a UK license either. There's a GB license (administered by DVLA) and a NI license (administered by DVA in NI). DVLA and DVA have their own reciprocal agreements with foreign agencies so, for example, being able to swap a GB license with one foreign agency doesn't necessarily mean that you can swap a NI license with the same foreign agency (and vice versa).

Pulaski Oct 1st 2014 10:48 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11424368)
And, to be consistent, there's no such thing as a UK license either. There's a GB license (administered by DVLA) and a NI license (administered by DVA in NI). .....

Sorry, that is no longer correct. The NI DVA closed on July 17, 2014 , and all UK licenses are now issued by the DVLA in Swansea. :nod:

MarylandNed Oct 1st 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11424376)
Sorry, that is no longer correct. The NI DVA closed on July 17, 2014 , and all UK licenses are now issued by the DVLA in Swansea. :nod:

Actually it is you who are incorrect. Only vehicle tax and registration services were transferred to Swansea. The driver licensing process did NOT change:

23 June 2014 - All Motor Tax Offices in Northern Ireland close on 17 July | Northern Ireland Executive

The DVA’s other functions:

- driver licensing,
- driver and vehicle testing,
- bus and taxi licensing
- roadside compliance checks
are not affected by the transfer of vehicle licensing to Swansea.

The identity checking service for first time applicants for provisional driving licences currently provided at motor tax offices, will be available from Monday 21 July at Driver Licensing HQ, County Hall, Coleraine and at the following test centres:

- Armagh,
- Ballymena,
- Belfast,
- Downpatrick,
- Enniskillen,
- Derry,
- Omagh.

Pulaski Oct 1st 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11424679)
Actually it is you who are incorrect. Only vehicle tax and registration services were transferred to Swansea. The driver licensing process did NOT change:

23 June 2014 - All Motor Tax Offices in Northern Ireland close on 17 July | Northern Ireland Executive

The DVA’s other functions:

- driver licensing,
- driver and vehicle testing,
- bus and taxi licensing
- roadside compliance checks
are not affected by the transfer of vehicle licensing to Swansea.

The identity checking service for first time applicants for provisional driving licences currently provided at motor tax offices, will be available from Monday 21 July at Driver Licensing HQ, County Hall, Coleraine and at the following test centres:

- Armagh,
- Ballymena,
- Belfast,
- Downpatrick,
- Enniskillen,
- Derry,
- Omagh.

Ooops. :o

rpjs Oct 1st 2014 3:29 pm

Does this mean Norn Iron will adopt the Mainland regional/date number plate system?

MarylandNed Oct 1st 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11424711)
Does this mean Norn Iron will adopt the Mainland regional/date number plate system?

No

londonboy450 Oct 1st 2014 5:10 pm

It's so easy, you convert it to usa license. In Florida where I live, I have a full license but still needed to go though the regular process of getting a learners permit by passing computerized test then pass a driving test to get full license. One benefit over getting UK license is that both theory and driving test can be done in the same day

Nutmegger Oct 1st 2014 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by londonboy450 (Post 11424806)
It's so easy, you convert it to usa license. In Florida where I live, I have a full license but still needed to go though the regular process of getting a learners permit by passing computerized test then pass a driving test to get full license. One benefit over getting UK license is that both theory and driving test can be done in the same day

As was pointed out to you in another thread, this is incorrect. One does NOT need to start out with a learner's permit in FL if one has a full license from the country of origin.

londonboy450 Oct 1st 2014 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11424828)
As was pointed out to you in another thread, this is incorrect. One does NOT need to start out with a learner's permit in FL if one has a full license from the country of origin.

Thanks for pointing out , sorry. From my experience, I had to get a all new license as I never had a U.S license despite having a full UK license. Once again sorry and thanks for reply

Jerseygirl Oct 1st 2014 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by londonboy450 (Post 11424806)

Even easier to get a NJ DL if you have a UK DL. No practical test required...just a multi answer test.

Nutmegger Oct 1st 2014 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by londonboy450 (Post 11424837)
Thanks for pointing out , sorry. From my experience, I had to get a all new license as I never had a U.S license despite having a full UK license. Once again sorry and thanks for reply

I understand that you went that route, but it was not necessary for you to do so.