Reload this Page >

USA Driving licence

USA Driving licence

Old Oct 1st 2014, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA Driving licence

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Even easier to get a NJ DL if you have a UK DL. No practical test required...just a multi answer test.

Thanks, I do know that in MA its easier as they accept your UK DL but here in FL you need to get a license if you lived or worked in the state which I have.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonboy450

Thanks, I do know that in MA its easier as they accept your UK DL.
This is false. in MA you need to take the theory and road tests. (Apparently French licenses are good to convert though)
Old Oct 1st 2014, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonboy450

Thanks, I do know that in MA its easier as they accept your UK DL but here in FL you need to get a license if you lived or worked in the state which I have.
No, NJ and I think one other midwest state. MA certainly doesn't. Just like most other states, you apply for a theory, pass that, apply for a practical test and do that. Some states might have you get a temporary license based on your full UK license to allow you to drive while waiting for a test date such as CA, or some other states make you apply for a learners permit to allow you to take the test, but you are still allowed to drive on your UK license and do not have to go through all the new drivers ed stuff that a spotty oink would have to go through. Though I think NY makes people sit the drivers ed class, but that's more of an exception than the rule.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned on another thread, I was required to take an instructional permit / learner license in Georgia, despite having a UK license. As mentioned above by Pulaski, the chances of getting the "Test" completed before the 30 days is up (when you can drive on your UK license) are non-existent here... A couple of months is the waiting time for the test here. Makes sense to note down what you did to "Try" and get within the 30 days though, in case you need to refer to it if you do get stopped by the police for any reason.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to obtain a USA license (American spelling!) is to spend a little money with a driving school and drive for at least 5 - 6 weeks with them in order to learn the peculiarities of the area where you live. They will often take you on the known test route, just like in UK.
With an international license you can rent a vehicle anyway, but I had to work in USA for a while and found this experience invaluable. After that it was a matter of taking the theory, sitting in the car with a rather large guy wearing his "smokey bear" hat and him shaking my hand. $9 later I had my state license.

The stuff I learned with the driving school I would have never learned myself or just by doing the theory test.

Apart from being the only non 18-year old who showed up for lessons, it was a great experience. Many of those tips have saved my skin, even in Europe!..
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 11:00 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
The best way to obtain a USA license (American spelling!) is to spend a little money with a driving school and drive for at least 5 - 6 weeks with them in order to learn the peculiarities of the area where you live. They will often take you on the known test route, just like in UK.
With an international license you can rent a vehicle anyway, but I had to work in USA for a while and found this experience invaluable. After that it was a matter of taking the theory, sitting in the car with a rather large guy wearing his "smokey bear" hat and him shaking my hand. $9 later I had my state license.

The stuff I learned with the driving school I would have never learned myself or just by doing the theory test.

Apart from being the only non 18-year old who showed up for lessons, it was a great experience. Many of those tips have saved my skin, even in Europe!..
I took a flyer at the multiple choice questions.. No practice or revision.. Wandered out to the car, got in, drove once around the block (right turns only), got out of the car and went to pick up my license (unaccompanied by the guy I just drove around with so I have no clue how they knew *I* had been the driver).
Short of losing the keys on the way to the car, I'm not sure how I could have failed really.

Oh, this was with a UK License (no International Permit). Do those even do anything if you are in an English speaking country?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 11:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You must have been an utterly inept driver before you came to the US. The (compulsory) driver's ed was a complete waste of my time, as was, quite frankly, the road test, but luckily the test only wasted about ten minutes of my time.

And an "international driving license" is entirely unnecessary in the US if your foreign driving licence is in English.

So all round great advice. Thx!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 11:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You must have been an utterly inept driver before you came to the US. The (compulsory) driver's ed was a complete waste of my time, as was, quite frankly, the road test, but luckily the test only wasted about ten minutes of my time.

And an "international driving license" is entirely unnecessary in the US if your foreign driving licence is in English.

So all round great advice. Thx!
He was 18 yrs old...as he was not an experienced driver it makes sense to take a few lessons before driving in a new country.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 11:49 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

He was 18 yrs old...as he was not an experienced driver it makes sense to take a few lessons before driving in a new country.
Nah... What's the worst that could happen?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 12:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Er, he specifically stated he was a "non 18-year old".
.... Apart from being the only non 18-year old who showed up for lessons, ....

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 2nd 2014 at 12:26 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, he specifically stated he was a "non 18-year old".
Just testing to see if you would notice.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 12:59 pm

Just testing to see if you would notice.
Your test was harder than the one I took for my license.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 1:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Nutek
Your test was harder than the one I took for my license.

I'm sneaky like that...
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ubernathan
This is false. in MA you need to take the theory and road tests. (Apparently French licenses are good to convert though)
Originally Posted by Bob
No, NJ and I think one other midwest state. MA certainly doesn't. Just like most other states, you apply for a theory, pass that, apply for a practical test and do that. Some states might have you get a temporary license based on your full UK license to allow you to drive while waiting for a test date such as CA, or some other states make you apply for a learners permit to allow you to take the test, but you are still allowed to drive on your UK license and do not have to go through all the new drivers ed stuff that a spotty oink would have to go through. Though I think NY makes people sit the drivers ed class, but that's more of an exception than the rule.
Thanks so much all, It ok since I passed the driving test and obtained my FL driving license and im ok taking the FL theory test and getting the learner permit because it easier than UK. No Hazard perception
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 6:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Waste of time and money.

Just download the states driving handbook, learn about penalty points for drinking offences and things for people under 21. Take the test, it's hardly ever more than a spin around the block with maybe a maneuver or two at the most, but done in such a way that you have to be comatose to fail. Just don't speed, stop at stop sign/line/junctions and look over shoulder to over emphasise the looking in mirror/window bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.